FF Famous Studs for 2017

How about Canford Cliffs?

Canford Cliffs
(no close relatives I think, but dam is linebred for Northern Dancer)
2007 stallion, Tagula x Mrs Marsh (Marju)

At 2 Years

1st    Coventry Stakes-Gr.2, 6f., Royal Ascot by 6 lengths from Xtension & Rakaan.
1st    Maiden, 6f., Newbury by 7 lengths from Rakaan & Barzan.
3rd    Prix Morny-Gr.1, 6f., Deauville beaten

What color is he?

Bay. Clink on the hyperlink at the top of Hilda’s post to see him. He’s actually quite nice.

Oh I like him he’s cute!  Love the Lil hind half socks

And there are two more that we might consider, although I don’t know if they are outstanding enough. But they have nice names and colours too :stuck_out_tongue:

Lope De Vega (link: Lope De Vega)
(grandsire Giant’s Causeway)
2007 chestnut stallion, Shamardal x Lady Vettori (Vettori)

1st Prix du Jockey Club (French Derby) (Fr-Gr1) 2100m, Poule d’Essai des Poulains (French 2,000 Guineas) (Fr-Gr1) 1600m
3rd Prix De Fontainebleau (Fr-Gr3) 1600m
4th Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere (Grand Criterium) (Fr-Gr1) 1400m

His dam is also a Grade 1 winner.

and perhaps Dick Turpin (link: Dick Turpin)
2007 black stallion, Arakan x Merrily (Sharrood)

At 2: 1st Richmond S.(G2-GB,Goo,6fT)
At 3: 1st Prix Jean Prat (G1-FR,Cha,8fT), Greenham S.(G3-GB,Nby,7fT); 2nd 2000 Guineas (G1-GB,Nmk,8fT), Poule D’Essai Des Poulains (G1-FR,Lon,8fT), St James’s Palace S. (G1-GB,Asc,8fT); 3rd Prix de la Foret (G1-FR,Lon,7fT)
At 4: 1st Premio Vittorio di Capua (G1-ITY,Ssi,8fT), bet365 Mile S. (G2-GB,San,8fT), Summer Mile S.(G2-GB,Asc,8fT)

Stallion at The National Stud, GB in 2012.

I love Dick Turpin. I’d forgotten about him but gorgeous looking horse.

Wow love Dick Turpin, noticed his name in the stats for canford cliffs. Beautiful black and nice markings!

I really like Dick Turpin. :slight_smile:

Lope de Vega has quite the noggin. :wink:

Canford Cliffs look good too but I think I like Dick Turpin a little better.

Glad you like Dick Turpin :slight_smile: on his pedigree page they say that he would cross well with Sadler’s Wells mares :wink: [i]"As a grandson of the sire of sires, Nureyev, Dick Turpin is sure to cross well with the SADLER

Love Nureyev lines!

And of course it would be nice to see Frankel in the game, but it seems that he keeps running :wink:

He’s due to retire after the Champion Stakes in October so going to stud next year :slight_smile:

So I would definetely vote for him! Facts from pedigreequery:

Frankel
(grandsire Sadler’s Wells)
2008 bay stallion, Galileo x Kind (Danehill)

Winnings: 13 Starts: 13 - 0 - 0,

I would take Frankel over Sixties Icon, but Candy Ride over Dick Turpin. I feel like we should try and get a max list of maybe 7-10 for Shanthi and stop suggesting new horses so Shanthi can start the voting (not that I’m opposed to new stud prospects! Just that I think she wanted to get voting going by late Aug/early Sept).

Yes, given that last time we went through several polls (each lasting a week) it would be nice to finalize the initial list soon so that we can start narrowing things down. I don’t mind more names added to the list, but would like the list to not be endless either.

Wow, yeah, Frankel for sure.  I like Dick Turpin and Frankel.

I’d say Frankel over Sixties Icon much as I like the latter as well. I love Dick Turpin but his race record isn’t as good as say Canford Cliffs. Although I think if I was in charge of deciding :stuck_out_tongue: it’d be Frankel and Raven’s Pass.

Maybe have everyone post who they liked from throughout the discussion so far and the 7 or so most popular will head to voting? Or 5 most popular if you want to speed things along.

I want to pitch one last stud, simply because I would love to see more Sunday Silence:
Deep Impact, 2002 bay 16.0hh
Has Northern Dancer in the 5th generation, everything else would be new to FF (minus the sire of course).

Starts: 14, 12-1-0 record. 2005 3yo Colt Champion in Japan, 2006 Older Male Champion in Japan. Won 2005 Japanese Triple Crown.
2yo: Ran twice, won once, second once.

3yo: Won Kikuka Sho G1 (St Leger; 15f), Satsuki Sho G1 (2000 Guineas; 10f), Tokyo Yushun G1 (Derby; 12f), Hochi Hai Yayoi Sho G2 (10f), Kobe Shimbun Hai G2 (10f). Second in Arima Kinen G1.

4yo: Won Japan Cup G1 (12f), Takarazuka Kinen G1 (11f), Hanshin Daishoten G3 (10.5f), Arima Kinen G1 (12.5f), Tenno Sho G1 (Spring Emperor’s Cup; 16f).

Sire of 6 G1 winners including Deep Brillante (Japanese Derby G1; 3rd in the Japanese 2000 Guineas G1) and Gentildonna (Japanese 1000 Guineas G1).

That limits things to those people who’ve followed this thread, which I’d rather not do. I don’t mind seeral rounds to narrow things down, I’d just like to start those rounds soon(ish).

Get Stormy was just retired and will enter stud next year. I’d love to see him standing! He does trace back to Storm Cat, but he only had 18 foals in the game with 1 son, Giant’s Causeway, standing. Not sure if that’s too close. Maybe I’m biased because I love the guy (and look at the potential chrome it would add!).