FF Famous Studs for 2017

The following famous studs have been retired in real life, and will not be available in 2017:
Holy Bull
Octagonal

This will bring us down to 10 famous studs. I’m fine with having 13-15, so we can start yet another round of nominations/voting for new studs to add in 2017. :slight_smile:

Current suggestions include: (ruling out horses who are over the age of 15)
All American
(great-grandsire Mr. P)
2005 stallion, Red Ransom x Milva (Strawberry Road)
24-5-3-2 $1,269,415 AUS

Won: Skyline Stakes (G3), Emirates Stakes (G1), Cantala Stakes (G1)

Blame
(great-grandsires Danzig & Mr. P)
2006 stallion, Arch x Liable (Seeking the Gold)
13-9-2-2 $4,368,214

Won: Clark Handicap (G2), Fayette Stakes (G2), Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), Stephen Foster Handicap (G1), Whitney Handicap (G1)
2nd: Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1)

Candy Ride
(nephew to Invasor, who’s by Candy Stripes)
1999 stallion, Ride the Rails x Candy Girl (Candy Stripes)
6-6-0-0 $749,149
Won: Pacific Classic (G1), American Handicap (G2), San Isidro (G1), Anchorena International (G1)

Dubawi
(great-grandsire Mr. P)
2002 stallion, Dubai Millennium x Zomaradah (Deploy)
8-5-1-1

Won: National Stakes (G1), Irish Two Thousand Guineas (G1), Prix Jaques Le Marois (G1)

Ghostzapper
(sire Awesome Again)
2000 stallion, Awesome Again x Baby Zip (Relaunch)
11-9-0-1 $3,446,120

Won: Vosburgh Stakes (G1), Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), Woodward Stakes (G1), Metropolitan Handicap (G1)
Showed: King’s Bishop Stakes (G1)
2004 Champion Older Male, 2004 Horse of the Year

Johannesburg
(grandsire Storm Cat)
1999 stallion, Hennessy x Myth (Ogygian)
10-7-1-0 $1,014,584

Won: Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (G1), Phoenix Stakes (G1), Prix Morny (G1), Middle Park Stakes (G1)

Kurofune
(grandsire Deputy Minister)
1998 stallion, French Deputy x Blue Avenue (Classic Go Go)
10-6-3

Midnight Lute? If he’s good enough for Silverbulletday, he’s good enough for me. :wink:

Henrythenavigator has an awesome name, but unfortunately the whole Mr. Prospector/Saddler Wells thing. I would be open to some more Saddler Wells in the game, since he was at stud for such a short time.

Is there anything by Dynaformer that is standing?

Edit: Zombie Black Tie Affair. (Sorry, just had to put that in there… Now back to your regularly scheduled program.)

Midnight Lute is pretty. :slight_smile: I’d be interested in adding a “true” sprinter to the ranks.

I’d be open to a Sadler’s Wells son, given that there are only a few dozen of his babies in the game.

Most of Dynaformer’s great sons were geldings, but it looks like Lucarno is standing in England and is a MSW.

Midnight Lute
(no close relatives in-game)
2003 stallion, Real Quiet x Candytuft (Dehere)
13-6(4)-3(2)-1(1) $2,690,600

Won: Malibu Stakes (G1), Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1 - twice), Forego Stakes (G1)
Placed: Hill ‘n’ Dale Cigar Mile Handicap (G1), San Fernando Breeders’ Cup Stakes (G2)

Lucarno
(no close relatives in-game)
2004 stallion, Dynaformer x Vignette (Diesis)
14-5-2-0-2

I guess the obvious Sadlers Wells stallion would be Galileo. Very good real life stud record but is half to Sea The Stars so you’d probably want to consider one or the other of those.

Yeah, he’s also a bit older than I’d prefer, ideally (it’d be nice to add stallions who are likely to be around for 5-10 years in-game).

It’s too bd Mr Purpe is deceased, he was a nice horse, not sure if he has any sons at stud

For a Sadler’s Wells son, I’ll add Yeats - he ran from age 2 to 8 (!) so would be a source of longevity, certainly.

Yeats
(son of Sadler’s Wells)
2001 stallion, Sadler’s Wells x Lyndonville (Top Ville)
22-14-2-1-0

How about Yeats?
bloodstock.racingpost.com/stalli … _id=583841
No RL runners yet, first crop are yearlings, but has a more unusual dam line. Very handsome horse and unique record of winning four Ascot Gold Cups. He’s 11. The only thing I would say about having a SW son is that there’s already Brigade by the FF version and I think Changeling is also qualified although not retired yet.

Great minds lol :slight_smile:

Here’s  a couple from a site, these are by first crop success. At the bottom of their pages it gives Hoty awards ,etc , and their complete record. (instead of posting all of it)

Cowtown cat -2004 chestnut (Distorted humor.toms cat.storm cat) fee $4k
bloodhorse.com/stallion-regi … rigin=link

Big Brown-2005 brown 16.1h (Boundry-mein x Nureyev ) fee $35k

Midnight lute- Dk brown 17.0h (Real quiet.candytuft x dehere)  fee $15k

Really unique, love his name!
Into Mischief-2005 bay ( harlans holiday-Leslie’s lady x Tricky creek) fee $7,500

Curlin is at stud too
2004 chestnut 16.2 h (Smart strike-sheriffs deputy x Deputy minister) fee  $40k

I want to stick with Grade 1 winners (or, at least, winners of more than 2 stakes)

Possibility, though yet more Danzig, which I’d rather avoid.

see above.

see above - number of stakes wins

His sire is in the game already

I hadn’t looked at all their wins yet. But it’s a good site. :slight_smile:

Regarding stud quality - if you notice the list so far, all of the horses have at least 4-5 stakes wins, including grade 1s, and many are undefeated/close to it. Personally, I’d rather stick with phenomenal racehorses to add to FF’s famous stud pool. And I’d rather avoid duplicating bloodlines that we already have (within reason - obviously Mr. Prospector is everywhere).

The list above is 14 horses long - I’d like to see it max out at 15 and then voting would narrow it down to 3-5 (closer to 3). I’m happy to replace horses on the list if people have other ideas, but the quality would need to be the same/better.

I know I mentioned Ghostzapper for his naming potential, but he’s also a Horse of the Year, so let’s avoid picking studs just because their names sound cool. (Henrythenavigator has a cool name and a nice record, but too much bloodline duplication, as Cat noted.)

I’m not arguing that it’s not a good site (I’ve used it to compile the stats for this list :stuck_out_tongue:), but I’m guessing that people would rather see quick stats here at-a-glance and then look for further detail on their own, rather than just clicking links and having to compare manually.

And, obviously, when suggesting stallions, it does help if one does the comparison to the existing list, as I just mentioned. :wink:

is this more like it? Though he has no Hoty awards
Nobiz like shobiz 2004 bay 16.2h
By Albert the great (Go for gin x bright feather)
By Nightstorn (storm cat x halos daughter)

Won-G-1 champagne st @2
G-1 wood memorial @3! G-2 Jamaica handicap,G-2 natl museum hall of fame st.,G-3 kent BC,G-3 holy bull st.
Placed-G-2 dwyers st
Showed-G-2 fountain of youth st

Sure :slight_smile: You don’t actually have to post the stats (I don’t mind doing that), just look at them and make sure it’s actually a similar quality horse to the ones already on the list (or if not, come up with arguments as to why he should be added to the list). HOTY awards aren’t mandatory, but it’s another thing to consider for “would I rather see stud A [on the list] or stud B [that I’m suggesting]”? (And also consider whether the horse has close relatives in the game, because I’ll generally rule those ones out, unless people want to replace one horse with another - Smart Strike for Curlin, for example.)

Given that the 2016 breeding season isn’t over yet, I’m fine with keeping suggestions open for a while, so no hurry to come up with a final list.

I haven’t seen a lot of halo that’s why i suggested this guy :slight_smile:

I’m hoping third time lucky for Ravens Pass.

The only alternatives to those listed I can think of would be two young sons of Galileo. 7yo New Approach (Ahonoora mare) multiple Group 1 winner at two and three or 9yo Sixties Icon (Diesis mare) 7 time stakes winner including a Group 1. Both first season sires and doing well with their first crops. NA ran at 2 and 3, SI ran at 3, 4 and 5. 

Halo’s great-grandsire is Mahmoud, who appears in the following pedigrees:
Foolish Pleasure
Affirmed
Spectacular Bid
Danzig
War Chant
Rock of Gibraltar
Sadler’s Wells
Strike The Gold
Holy Bull

Halo’s sire is Hail To Reason, who appears in the following pedigrees:
Seattle Slew
A.P. Indy
Cigar
Tiznow
War Chant
Monarchos
Sadler’s Wells
Silver Charm

Halo himself is in the following pedigrees:
Rahy
Giant’s Causeway
Sunday Silence (his son)

We’re not exactly hurting for Halo’s genes.