2024 Leading Freshman Sires

I thought this might be sort of fun. It has been almost 3 months since the 2yo’s debuted, so time for a check-in!

Top 5 Leading Freshman Sires: May

1. Quintet, by Octagonal - 28.57% winners, including SP Four Square
  2. Space Chips, by Nightfight - 18.75% winners, including SP Aufeinander
  3. California Chrome, create - 14.29% winners
  4. Allinvain, by Worth My While - 11.11% winners
  5. Frosted, create - 11.11% winners
5 Likes

I couldn’t resist an update 2 months later, especially after several 2yo stakes races have gone off. Quintet has almost doubled his win percentage since the last update, placing himself at #38 for win percentage out of all 85 FF stallions!

Top 5 Leading Freshman Sires: July

1. Quintet, by Octagonal - 41.18% winners, including MSP Four Square, and SP’s Der Blaue Engel, and Instrumental.
  2. Space Chips, by Nightfight - 25% winners, including MSP Aufeinander
  3. California Chrome, create - 18% winners
  4. Devil’s Walk, by Nightfight - 15.28% winners
  5. Too Stressful, by Stressed - 14.29% winners

Tomorrow we have a pair of 2yo stakes races with the G2 Del Mar Debutante for fillies, and the G1 Del Mar Futurity for open company. Represented freshman stallions include Quintet, Space Chips, Too Stressful, and Ancient Magic.

6 Likes

Cool that Space Chips is doing so well, and I bred two of those leading 2yo’s! Yay! Also, congratulations Dreadnought for racing Aufeinander. Today, Aufeinander runs against my other homebred Space Chips colt, Hans, in the Grade 1 Del Mar Futurity.

1 Like

Top 5 Leading Freshman Sires: August

1. Quintet , by Octagonal - 36.84% winners, including MSP’s Four Square and Instrumental, and SP’s Der Blaue Engel.
  2. Space Chips, by Nightfight - 33.33% winners, including MSP’s Aufeinander and Hans.
  3. Devil’s Walk, by Nightfight - 31% winners
  4. Too Stressful, by Stressed - 25% winners
  5. Frosted, create - 20% winners, including SP Cork.

Quintet continues to lead, now with 2 MSP’s and 3 SP’s overall. Space Chips adds another SP son to his roster, and Devil’s Walk almost dubles his winners percentage since last month.

6 Likes

Just 4 more weeks until the Breeders’ Cup, but plenty of 2yo races between then and now!

Top 5 Leading Freshman Sires: September

1. Space Chips, by Nightfight - 45.45% winners, including MSP’s Aufeinander and Hans.
  2. Quintet , by Octagonal - 42.11% winners, including MSP’s Four Square and Instrumental, and SP’s Der Blaue Engel .
  3. TIE Devil’s Walk, by Nightfight, & Too Stressful, by Stressed - 29.41% winners
  4. California Chrome, create - 21.43% winners

Space Chips takes the lead over Quintet in win percentage, and California Chrome takes the 5th slot from fellow RL stud, Frosted.

2 Likes

Top 5 Leading Freshman Sires: October

1. Space Chips, by Nightfight - 45.45% winners, including MSP Aufeinander and G1W Hans.
  2. Quintet , by Octagonal - 45% winners, including SW Five Gold Rings and MSP’s Four Square and Instrumental.
  3. Devil’s Walk, by Nightfight - 35.29% winners.
  4. Too Stressful, by Stressed - 29.41% winners.
  5. California Chrome, create - 28.57% winners.

Of the freshmen sires, only Space Chips saw Breeders’ Cup blacktype honors with his son Hans winning the G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. On to the Breeders’ Series! I don’t think I’ll track next year’s freshman sires because there are only 4, and half are Famous Studs who may or may not stand in 2025.

5 Likes

Top 5 Leading Freshman Sires: November

1. Space Chips, by Nightfight - 54.55% winners, including SW’s Aufeinander (MSP) and Hans (MSP/multi-millionaire).

2. Quintet , by Octagonal - 50% winners, including MSW Five Gold Rings , MSP’s Four Square and Instrumental, and SP Der Blaue Engel. 2yo daughters were 1-2 in the first 2yo Filly Dirt BS race.

3. Devil’s Walk, by Nightfight - 35.29% winners, including SP Poinsettia.

4. Too Stressful, by Stressed - 29.41% winners, including SP Deadline.

5. TIE California Chrome, create, & Allinvain, by Worth My While - 26.67% winners. California Chrome is the sire of SP Pest From The West. Allinvain is the sire of SW Alexandrina and SP High Treason.

Space Chips and Quintet are currently KILLING it in the percentages. Both are in the top 30 for win percentages out of 81 stallions.

3 Likes