How'd You Do? 2016

Four foals for less than $20K. Hoorah! A fifth is on her way.

An unnamed filly by [color=blue]Rock of Gibraltar (B) out of [color=red]Ch. Behind the Mask (S) was nabbed for $1K. She’s been named [color=red]Invincible.

Another unnamed filly by [color=blue]ICh. Prince of Wonder (S) out of [color=red]Ch. Associated Press was picked up for the very reasonable sum of $1K. She’s been named [color=red]Indian Princess, in honor of her maternal granddam and grandsire.

A filly by [color=blue]WCh. Strider (G) out of [color=red]Queen Robyn for $15.5K. She’s been named [color=red]Westernesse, the native kingdom of Aragorn in Lord of the Rings.

A colt by [color=blue]Sun King out of [color=red]Crimson Chance (S), who we’ve named (appropriately) [color=blue]Crimson Sun.

I purchased 5 for $74,000. Not too shabby!

[color=red]Waving Octopus by Octagonal (B) out of Colors Waving (G). We purchased this yearling filly because of her dam, Octopus is 1/2 to NCh. Aptitude and SP Pandora’s Box. Octagonal’s first foals hit the track this year, they haven’t really proven themselves yet. Oh, and I loved his name too :slight_smile:
Purchase Price: $50,500

[color=red]Unnamed by NCh. Golden Text out of Keeta (S). Can’t believe how cheap I got this filly, Golden Text doesn’t have any foals running yet but he’s out of A.P. Indy who I love and he was a fantastic runner. Keeta has had some really nice running foals including GCh. Marble Man and SW Kaneseatt. Shes been named [color=red]Akita
Purchase Price: $1000

[color=blue]Unnamed by ICh. Sixth Day and out of Ch. Milestone. His dam and sire aren’t proven yet as they dont have any running foals yet but I was looking at the lineage further down. Sixth Day is out of Planet Hollywood (great stally) and the GCh. Platinum rated mare Carbon Copy, cant ask for a better mare then that! His dam, Milestone is out of NCh. Lucky Cigar (G) and the silver rated mare Happy Holidays. I this the hollywood lines crossed with the cigar lines should produce a rockin foal. He has been named [color=blue]Mile A Minute
Purchase Price: $20,500

[color=red]Unnamed by FFCh. High Chances (S) and out of Trust. Her sire is the reason I purchased this filly, her sire has thrown some great foals and his stud fee is $25,000, making this purchase price a really really good deal. Her dam is a create, heres hoping she throws good running foals! She has been named [color=red]Tried and True

[color=red]Black Lotus by NCh. Black Light II and out of Lotus Blade. Honestly, I loved her name so I bought her! With that said I am really interested to see how Black Light’s foals will run, I dont have any horses by him. Her dam is a created mare who never raced so its a shot in the dark how her foals will be. Fingers crossed!

So far I got four, like I needed more! Lol still waiting on one bid.each one was purchased for $1k each

[color=blue]cause to killis now Killer Storm a colt by Giants Causeway out of willing to kill (x-killing time) he’s already 15.1 of his predicted 16.1, out of 7 foals racing by his dam, only one is unplaced, 1 is a SP.and being by GC doesn’t hurt!

[color=blue]Heart Attack a colt by stressed out of Blu Heart. I wanted him because I needed a stressed horse. .hes predicted to be just 15.3 so far only one foal,from this mare is racing Nd he’s placed.

Formerly unnamed colt-[color=blue] Wind Walker he is by Giants Causeway out of ch. legally bay.(out of jacket required (g)((x-class act(g))) he’s 14h out of a predicted 17.0 , he is the first baby from this mare.

And a formerly unnamed filly[color=red]-Dawn of the Dead she is by almost precious (out of precious belle(g))  out of henriquet (x-killing time) she is the first live foal from this mare.she is out of her sires first crop.She is 13.3 of a predicted 17h

I wanted this one! At least I own Pandora’s Box  ;D good luck with her!
So far I purchased two fillies, yearling and weanling. Both have been renamed already.

[color=red]Vera Cruz - a 2016 filly by NCh. Conflagration, out of Ch. Sailor’s Girl. She adds some unique bloodlines to our herd. Her granddam GCh. Dark Princess has a 2000 Eclipse Award for 3yo filly.

[color=red]Hermelinda - 2015 filly by Holy Bull, out of Ch. Art of Song. Her dam is multiple stakes placed, Grade 1 and 2. We only have one other filly by Holy Bull.

Just one buy so far for 1k, an unnamed filly by [color=blue]Rock of Gibraltar out of [color=red]Dream Girl. She is half to a MSW and her dam is a reine de course, the only horse in the game to have s/p, now just to figure out what that means Haha ::). Although her sire is bronze his first crop only ran this year so I am keen to see how they go next year!

Love your names! :slight_smile:

S is “solid” and P is “professional”, but it basically means they lean towards slow for long distances rather than super fast in sprints.

Secured four from the original wish list, for $1000 each. Really pleased as they’ve all got IMHO lovely pedigrees, each descending from my favourite lines in the FF stud book. They’re all previously unnamed weanlings so we’ll have to wait a while until their ready to run.

[color=red]Masquerade Ball NCh Formal Occasion x Moonlight (Time Bomb)
May 28, 1st foal for a MW, MP mare. Dam is out of Timeless Wiccan (G) making her half sister to eight stakes level performers including NCh Always In Demand, GCh Salem and GCh Western Magic.

[color=red]Private Dancer ICh Magic Glory (S) x Secret Promises (Silver Secrets (G))
Feb 15, 1st foal for SW mare, a daughter of Dance For Me, herself a daughter of RDC mare Dance at Dawn. We already have Dance For Me and her daughter Peep Show and couldn’t pass on another family member. Her sire seems quite nice and brings some new lines for us.

[color=red]Trapeze Tiznow (B) x Upstage Dancer (S) (Northern Slew)
Apr 27, 7th foal and so far only filly for her dam. Half sister to our own GCh Baringa, much loved here at GB. Despite her sire’s quite poor record we’re very pleased to have her. Upstage Dancer is herself a half sister to our platinum ranked brood Crowd Pleaser.

[color=blue]War of Words War Chant (B) x Ch Primrose (Northern Dancer)
Jan 30, another first foal for a MSW dam. Primrose is a daughter of gold-ranked Rosebud, dam of ICh What’s Your Point. The wider family includes ICh Witness. War Chant seems to produce quite consistent runners.

Love your names, too. :slight_smile:

Thank you. Naming ponies is one of my favourite parts :stuck_out_tongue:

For the first time ever, we picked out ponies that no one else wanted, and walked away with 3 babies (probably 3 more than we needed :stuck_out_tongue:) for $3,000 total. If any of these boys do well, it may be our most profitable auction.

[color=blue]Off The Charts is a yearling son of ICh. Take Me Away (B) and Chart Topper (created). His dam was sporadically raced (by Final Furlong) at ages 4, 5, and 6, and still managed a few wins and a stakes place. Her first foal, a filly by War Chant, is unplaced to date, but also under FF management. This boy’s a good size (16.1h) so we’re hoping he does well next year.

[color=blue]Metalkprettyoneday is a weanling son of Octagonal (B) and Ch. Subject to Learn (by GCh. Harvard Bound). He’s the first foal of his dam, who was a multiple stakes winner on the track. He’s named after the David Sedaris book, because David Sedaris is awesome.

[color=blue]Devil Incarnate is a weanling son of Octagonal (B) and Soul Action (B) (created). His dam was stakes placed on the track, and his big sister is a winner on the track.

Octagonal’s been good to us so far, so we’re hoping these boys at least earn back their purchase price, and then some. :wink:

Picked up four for a whopping $14,500  ;D.

[color=blue]Revenge of the Cat, ICh. Alley Cat (B) x Ch. Avenging Angel, by Magic Man (B) (but 4.7 Silver as a broodmare sire).
I’m pretty leery of the Alley Cat’s because they tend to not run straight but now and again you’ll have a good one. Revenge of the Cat has a high DI and his dam is half to A Reason to Love (dam of 2 MSW’s). Magic Man’s 10 daughters have also produced MSW NCh. Black Light II and MSW Ch. Rocket Smoke (whom I own). Plus I liked his name and he’s a dapple gray which I’m a sucker for.

[color=red]Storm the Castle, Giant’s Causeway (B) x American Graffiti (B), by NCh. Killing Time (S)
Formerly named Flames Golden Cross. I wanted a Giant’s Causeway and really liked this girl. American Graffiti only has 3 racing-age foals but one is unraced, a 2nd only made 2 starts at 2 and has been inactive since 2015, and her one active runner is a SW. American Graffiti is also out of American Chance (G), dam of NCh. Diplomat, Home Fries (G), and GCh. Higher Agenda.

[color=red]Star Spangled, NCh. Starz ‘n’ Stripes (S) x Apple Pie, by A.P. Indy (S)
Formerly named All American Girl. I like Starz ‘n’ Stripes but only had 1 other horse from his line (via Starzen) so this girl definitely caught my eye! Tthe A.P. Indy/Starz ‘n’ Stripes cross has done fairly well between two runners and Apple Pie is out of Sugary Lips (G).

[color=blue]Greysteil, NCh. Nobly Regal x Goforburst (S), by Highland Rogue §
I typically avoid weanlings but I really, really wanted this boy. Nobly Regal is by Danzig (G) out of Delightful Natalie (G); Nobly Regal’s first crop was born this year. Goforburst was a really consistent runner, hitting the board 15/19 times; she is out of Prospector’s Gamble (G) dam of MSW’s GCh. Cigar’s Gamble and ICh. Clendon Park (G). Nobly Regal is half to GCh. Goforbust. Greysteil (graysteel) was a medieval poem from the 16th century. He was my most expensive boy at 11k.

Secured our final choice, somewhat more expensive than the other recruits @ $90000  :astonished:
Still he’s from AP Indy’s last crop out of a stakes level mare by Seabiscuit.

[color=blue]Prohibition AP Indy x Rum Runner (Seabiscuit).
Feb 3, first foal for SW, MSP mare. Dam is out of the gold ranked Apple Pie.

All in all happy with what we’ve come home with.

And the last one is at the barn. I was thinking of this colt at the beginning, but then wanted another one, but that other colt was soon taken for the maximum price. So I looked back at the auction and this one remained unnoticed.

[color=blue]El Consuelo - I continue with the Spanish-themed names :wink: - the name means “comfort”, as I hope that he will be as good as the other colt. He’s by Octagonal, and I only have one other weanling by this stud, a filly. El Consuelo’s dam, Out of This, is a twin. Her sister’s name is Out of That. Her sister also has a weanling foal, but not consigned to the auction. They are by Danzig (G), and we have none of his blood at Clicker Lab. Also, Out of That is stakes placed (Gr. 1) and has two speed records on dirt. So I think that this is a quite interesting pedigree and hopefully he’ll be successful on the track. Purchased for $1,000.

Total spent: $12,500. Not bad for three horses.

He’s named after the David Sedaris book, because David Sedaris is awesome.

Too true. :slight_smile: I’ve met his sister a couple of times at parties in New York, and she’s hysterical.

Jealous!

We are a new stable and didn’t have a ton to spend but we still came home with five, three of which were our original picks. We didn’t want to get into bidding wars with established stables so when one was outbid, we moved on and managed to get all five for $1000 each. All of these guys are yearlings which will help us double our runners next year.

1. [color=red]Cash Cat - ICh Alley Cat (B) x Ch Your Cash Treat (S) ( Silhouette (B))
    This one is half to SW Ch. Bold Silhouette and SP Ch. Your Chant. We wanted this one because we own Your Chant who is a really nice runner and we hope Cash Cat will do the same.

2. [color=red]Ashes to Ashes - ICh Devil His Due (B) x Death Becomes Her (B) (Ch Rumor Has It (B))
    This one was a pickup to fill in an outbid. Definitely worth the 1k. I liked the name. I’m not sure how well choosing them by name works, but I guess we will find out :slight_smile:

3. [color=red]Tall Tales - Holy Bull (B) x Won’t She Tell (B) (Seattle Slew (S))
    Tall Tales is half to a couple of SP Champions and I am a fan of the pedigree so I was really pleased to get this one. Won’t She Tell is bronze ranked but her average foal earnings are 401,667. I’d like to see that kind of return on my investment :wink:

4. [color=blue]Weather Mage - NCh Seattle Sorcerer (S) x Castleonacloud (create)
    His sire is silver ranked and his dam had a decent record. I thought this was a good buy for 1k. Although, I did again, choose him because I liked his name.

5. [color=blue]ImlateImlateImlate  -  ICh Stressed (B) x AMad Hatter (create)
    I probably could have snagged a better colt than this, but I suckered in for the name again. Still, so cheap it was worth the risk. Will probably just change his name to I’m Late because having no apostrophe is killing me.

Overall, my budget was satisfied and I hope I didn’t pick too badly for being a newbie.

I’ve done the “pick cool names” thing before and it’s worked pretty well.

Fellow grammar nerd. :slight_smile: And/or grammar/punctuation OCD-person.

Good luck with them! Glad you like their names :slight_smile:

Well got my last bid
Formerly unnamed  colt -[color=blue]Sting Like A Bee by octagonal out of ch honey deelite,this is the first fo from this made she was an sw/msp runner,and with this site hoping for a. Nice solid runner.

Thanks for listing them!

All of the above. I must have tried five times to type in ImLateImLateImLate and had to keep going back to delete the apostrophes. All good now though, I changed his name :slight_smile: