How'd You Do 2016

I walked out of the auction house with 5 ponies, and a lot more money left in the bank than I anticipated - no complaints there!
I did manage to lose my #1 choice, but I knew I was taking a gamble - he sold for the full $100k, and I couldn’t compete thanks to my other bids.

First and foremost, I’m excited to announce that Ivy Creek FINALLY has a stallion to stand. [color=blue] ICh. Witness, the only son of Class Act (G) left standing at stud (now that one of my favorite studs, I’m A Classic, has retired).  He’s still fairly unproven - his oldest crop is 4 this year, and all but two are at least winners.  And of the two, one has had 4 sporadic lifetime starts, and the other only one start ever…that’s hardly a fair assessment.  His get appear to mature early, in general - mostly at the ideal 3YO.  I’m excited to learn the ropes of managing a stallion, and hopefully help campaign him more successfully.  He only got 8 mares this year, but that’s because I think his fee is too high at the moment.  I will certainly be looking to get more mare owners interested in this fabulous guy, so watch out in 2017!

We also picked up two race mares as future broodmares - they will continue their race careers through winter, and then we’ll reassess them.

[color=red]Foxy Ruby (Gallant Fox) is a stakes placed multi-winner from a gold-rated dam.  She placed in the G1 American Oaks, and holds 2 speed records currently.  She hasn’t run since 2014, so we’ll see how she can run once we get her fit.  If she’s only gotten better, she may run through 2017.  Otherwise, I’d be honored to have that kind of talent (though mostly untapped) in my breeding shed.

[color=red]Indywind (A.P. Indy) is a multi-winning mare who holds 2 speed records.  She hasn’t run yet this year, but last year, she was on the board 14 of 15 starts (with the only “off the board” being a 4th place finish), and she has never attempted a stakes race.  I’m excited to see how she does on the track this year, though I still think her potential wasn’t showcased and she may be over the hill - she’d still be a welcome addition to our breeding string.

We also added 2 weanlings whom we now need to name, both from proven racehorses on both sides of the pedigree:

An unnamed colt by The Fighting Fifty (who we were chasing when we hoped to secure that stallion) out of a MSW GCh. mare.

An unnamed filly by Clockstopper out of a MSW Ch. mare.

Still waiting on two, but managed to pick up some broodmares and a runner for super cheap ($1k a piece).

We’re super pleased to add another Captain Jack mare to our broodmare band. Captain’s Folly is silver-rated and she herself is MSP. She has two foals on the track. Her 3yo has won four of seven life-time starts. Her 2yo has come in 2nd in both of her starts.

Little Zip is from created lines, but we’ve had a lot of luck with created lines so we decided to take the risk. Zip is also MSP and won a little less than 1/2 of her starts. We imagine her foals will probably be late bloomers, but we kind of like them that way.

Simple Success is also from created lines. She’s still on the track and doing pretty okay as a 7yo! She just came in 2nd in an OA. She’s earned her Ch. rank the hard way–all allowance or lower starts and has hit the board in 50% of her starts.

Well I really didn’t need more broodmares, so I thought I’d see if I could grab some bloodlines I don’t have. I managed to acquire the following ponies. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Sea Basque- a 3yo filly by King David x Sumpter. She only ran 1 start at 2 but managed a 3rd place finish. I have had good luck with a 3yo colt I claimed by this stud so thought id give her a try. Cost:$1k

[color=red]Damascaly- 2yo filly by King David x Promisesbrumeses. Again I like this stud and having 2 new girls for future broodmare prospects doesn’t hurt. Cost:$1k

[color=blue]Fortunate Rogue-weanlng colt by Strider x ch. Fickle fortune (b). I don’t have any Strider babies yet and hes a cutie! Cost:$5,500

[color=blue]That’s No Bull-yearling colt by Holy BULL(B) X Dancing Gal(b) again I do not have any of this bloodlines and liked his look.cost:$1k
(has been renamed)

And the most expensive purchase, I couldn’t resist…
[color=blue]Moonless Night-a yearling colt by my fave stud, Nightfight x Moonshine II(b). His dam seems to be a nice producer and of course his sire is well known. Cost:$30,500

Total spent $48,500

One bid still ongoing but have secured four lovely ladies so far.

The one I really wanted was [color=red]Ch I B Ready (AP Indy) a daughter of the RDC mare Tea Time. She’s a half-sister to Rosebud (Dam of ICh What’s Your Point) and Time for Truth (dam of ICh Witness). The majority of her sisters have produced stakes performing foal. Her first two runners are stakes places and she’s MSW, MSP herself. She is currently in foal to All Jazzed Up and was a relative bargain at $50,500.

Been crazy buzy so haven’t been able to completely scan the auction, actually doing that right now, but I did have two that caught my eye that we’ve gotten so far.

The first we got for the minimum bid of $1,000 a previously unnamed filly by our stallion NCh. Yes It’s Paddy out of multiple winner Alyssa’s Time. We named the filly [color=red]Time After Tyme.

An unnamed colt by the ever famous WCh. Nightfight and is out of the unraced create mare With Lemon. Was honestly suprised that it wasn’t more of a fight to get this guy.  :wink: He has since been named [color=blue]Dusk to Dawn.

So far so good! 4 purchased and one bid still going

[color=red]Ch. Festive (NCh. Townsend Jester (S) x Harvest Moon (S)) This mare is a SW and MSP, hasn’t had any foals run yet and came in foal to All Jazzed Up. I liked her bloodlines, they are unique and they are lines I dont have in my barn. Cost: $1000

[color=red]Cee’s Classic (NCh. I’m A Classic (S) x Cee Me First (S)) She is unraced on the track but is a silver rated broodmare. She has been bred to What’s Your Point.Cost: $20,000

[color=red]Love’s Image (Romeo (G) x Honored Image (S)) This mare is a MW, MP mare with no foals racing yet. She came in foal to Moonopoly and has unique bloodlines. I’m excited to get some Romeo bloodlines in my broodmare string. Cost: $15,500

Purchased a weanling filly, named her [color=red]First Things First (NCh. Silver Wizard x Ch. First and Only (G)). She was obviously purchased for her lovely bloodlines. Silver Wizard is out of Highland Wizard; Silver Wizard was a great runner, his first foals hit the track next season. First Things First’s dam, First and Only rocked it on the track, unfortunately she didn’t start racing until she was 4, she would have been even better if she started as a 2 or 3yo. She has 3 foals running, one of which is MSW. I look forward to running this filly. Cost: $55,000

We’re quite happy with our acquisition, even though we really, really don’t need any more ponies, especially of the broodmare variety.

[color=red]Eternity is the daughter of Black Legend (a stud we don’t have in our stock at all until now) and Infinity, dam of MSWs Deo Volente and Long Live The King (who we like as a sire). We’re hoping this mare, who’s a MSW herself, will continue to pass on her winning ways. Her oldest foal, a 4yo, is a MSW on the track, and her 3yo has a win from 3 starts. She’s in foal to Boldness Shows for 2017.

Also congrats to Vaucluse Farms on the purchase of the mare we sold, [color=red]Beautiful Dreamer. I hope she produces many great foals for you. :slight_smile:

(And, on the plus side, this makes our net gain for the auction 0 horses. I call that a success!)

Despite the fact I really shouldn’t be buying, I couldn’t say no to cheap prices in hopes of obtaining good runners! Snagged 5 for just 1k each and since I also sold two for 1k each, I like to think I only paid 3k for 5, haha.

[color=blue]Celebroch is a 5yo son of GCh. Akhetnaten (S) out of the gold-ranked Question Authority. He raced just once this year, back in January, and finished 2nd to a horse who recently ran 2nd in a G3. He’s never been worse than 3rd in 9 lifetime starts including finishing 3rd in an ungraded at 3. I’m hoping he’ll just be a really nice money maker once we get him back into shape.

[color=red]Jade Fox is a 4yo mare by Gallant Fox out of a champion Lucky Cigar mare. She won her only start this year, back in January. I’m hoping once she’s fit again, she’ll be a nice runner. Also brought her as a future broodmare prospect; I have no Gallant Fox in my herd beyond a granddaughter I’m leasing for a breeding, and Jade Fox is half to MSW Margarita Rose.

[color=red]Magic Lable is a 4yo mare by Unbridled. Another horse who only raced once this year, winning. Hoping she’s also just a nice, solid runner and I have zero Unbridled in my herd.

[color=red]Witch’s Point we kept debating over bidding on or not, and eventually figured if we could get her cheap, it’s worth it. She’s an unraced 3yo filly by Point Given, whom I’m a big fan of, out of a bronze-ranked mare whose only other racing foal has done pretty well and last ran 5th in a stakes. She’s also a massive 17.1hh so I’m hoping that getting started late in her 3yo year means she’s done growing and will perform well!

[color=blue]Macau was our final purchase. He’s a 3yo gray son of Diplomat out of a champion Magic Man (B) mare. We’re not sure how he’ll perform, since his last race was running 2nd in a 50k claimer back in January. We went for him because he’s hit the board 3 of 7 times, which really isn’t too bad, and he’s half to our own MSW Ch. Rocket Smoke. He’s also 18.0hh which I had not noticed. Holy crap! Haha.

Now if only my other 3 horses in the auction would sell, rock-bottom price or not.

Successfully won 4 of the 5 we went after. Ended up spending $14,000.

[color=red]Ch. Back For More (11yo broodmare Awesome Again x Dayatthebeach). We have a number of progeny of Dayatthebeach, including MSW [color=blue]Ch. In The Navy , MW [color=red]White Sand Beach and Placed [color=red]Sand Dune. $11,000

[color=red]Making Money (10yo broodmare Northern Dancer x Moolah Girl), half-sister to another broodmare at the Farm, [color=red]Ch. Sunset Girl. $1,000

[color=red]Illusive Diamond (4yo Northern Dancer x War Mistress), half-sister to a broodmare at the Farm, [color=red]Swing Vote (Bronze). $1,000

[color=blue]Last For More (2yo Lasting Spirit x Back For More). $1,000

Updated 7/18:-
Picked up one more:-
[color=red]Rainbow Covenent (12yo broodmare Rainbow Quest x Lady Caroline). In foal to one of our stallions, [color=blue]GCh. Mantle of Power for 2017. $1,000

I loove the mixed auction!  :smiley:
I bought 5 horses at $1k each. Unfortunately, my total expenditure came to $36,000 after shipping because I failed to realize that one of the horses I bid on was in Australia until after I placed the bid. That’ll teach me to look where a horse is before I press the bid button.  ::)

[color=blue]All Is Holy is a beautiful blood bay 5yo racehorse who hasn’t raced in a couple of years. He was doing well before he stopped racing; stakes placed and had won the last race he was entered in. Hopefully after a few workouts he’ll be ready to run again. Hopefully I won’t have to geld him, but I will if I find that he’s having trouble succeeding in the decline of his years.

[color=red]Champagne On Ice is another beautiful blood bay racehorse, but she’s 4 years old. This is also my unfortunate purchase from Australia. She’s going to stay there for a race or two to hopefully bring in some money for me to ship her home with. She’s a stakes placed steeplechaser who was last run in January. She had no jockey assigned to her and was never worked out before, so I’m hoping that a little work will bring out the best in her before she’s retired to a broodmare.

[color=red]Dance Alone was my broodmare buy for the day. I consider her purchase a major success. She’s a stakes placed black create with a pre-sale breeding to ICh. Ring of Fire (S). She doesn’t have a breeding rank herself yet, but one of her foals is racing this year, so she will soon. To me, $1,000 for a pregnant broodmare is practically stealing.

[color=green]Fortunate Son is a black 4yo racehorse who is stakes placed as of last year. He’s ran 4 times this year with one 3rd, one 4th, and two off the board. I’m hoping that he can earn some money for my stable by doing well in a few more stakes.

Then comes the only horse I saw before the auction that stuck out to me. She is now named [color=red]Jumpstyle and is sired by my Unabridged (ICh. Unabridged x Dancetillyoudrop). Both parents are creates and don’t have a breeding ranking, so her potential is completely up in the air. Her mom never got the chance to prove herself in stakes races, but has multiple wins and places. She’s a weanling for now, so I can’t even ship her home yet. She was bred by Supernovaa and I’ll have to let her grow up there and patiently wait until she can race.

So, besides the Australia mishap, I am very happy about my success this year.

Good luck with Fortunate Son, I just have too many racing to make sure they all run. :slight_smile:  he’s a decent horse and he should perk back up.

Thank you! I believe in him. :slight_smile:

Did I just buy a bunch more fillies/mares… yes I did. Four for $1,000 a piece so far and bidding on a fifth  :wink:

[color=red]Miss Gingerbread
Mr. Prospector (S) x Dazzling Display (B)

• This mare hasn’t raced since 2014, but she has a nice race record. I’m lacking the Prospector bloodlines in the barn and thought she’d make a good fit. For $1,000 can’t be wrong  :wink:

[color=red]Unbridled Sea
Unbridled (B) x Tropical Sea (S)

• Bought Unbridled Sea again for bloodlines and her dam through a MSW and a couple SPs, so again $1,000 isn’t bad. I’ve lined her up to be bred to Irish Gold to sneak in another 2017 foal too…

[color=red]Talent To Amuse
Whirlaway (B) x Adiantum (S)

• MSW and quite a few SPs foaled by Adiantum. Whirlaway is a hard line for me to find and needed a replacement for Whimsical Whirl once Amuse retires from racing :wink:

[color=red]I’ve Got An Itch
Octangonal (B) x Gimme Gimme Gimme

• Cat did you name this horse? :slight_smile:p  Anyone who knows my stable knows why I bought this horse (Sweet Dreams line) plus no real Octagonal in the barn yet, and she’s an unraced 2yo!

~ Lindsay

Nope. Wasn’t me. Though I’d like to shake the hand of the person who did. I’m psyched that she’s a 2yo so the name has to stick. Have fun naming the babies? Might I suggest Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Shingles, and/or Chicken Pox as potential names for future foals?

Lol @ chicken pox

From last year’s auction I had three horses and all of them have new homes now :wink: so I hope that these two will stay longer here.
I bought two fillies. Also wanted one broodmare and a stallion, but it wasn’t really possible that all four will be mine so I’m satisfied with these two. I really love the similarity of their names; it’s fun to have both.

[color=red]Ellejolet - 3yo liver chestnut filly by GCh. Harvard Bound (B), out of Enlightened (S). She should be good over Intermediate distance, at least on dirt. Her dam is unraced, but Ellejolet is half sister to Ch. That Thing You Do; a mare with two speed records on dirt and two Grade 2 stakes wins.
Purchased for $20,000.

[color=red]Cabernet - 3yo dark bay filly by Giant’s Causeway (B), out of Wine and Brandy (S). She should run well over Brilliant and Intermediate distance. Both her parents are unraced in the game :wink: but she’s half sister to GCh. Silver Flute, a multiple stakes winner on dirt, with stakes wins on all distances. Cabernet has some really nice sires in her pedigree.
Purchased for $75,000.

Final bid has cleared so we ended up with 5 new girls in total. Besides I.B. Ready, we also picked up [color=red]Make The Call (B) Crack Shot (B) ex Call Me Darlin(B/RDC) (created). Totally new lines for us and quite rare as Crack Shot only sired 8 foals so she should have plenty of options for suitable boyfriends. She was MSP on the track up to Grade 2 level on turf and comes in foal to Call To War. She has a bronze ranking with her oldest runner being stakes placed at 3 (currently unraced at 4). Cost $1000

[color=red]Golden Indy AP Indy ex Genuinely Gold (B) (Created)
5yo race mare MW,MP last year and finished 4th on her only start this year. Bought to add some AP Indy blood into the barn. Half-sister to Gold-ranked broodmare Oakley. She’ll finish the rest of the year on the track and see how she goes. Cost $1000.

We also picked up two previously unnamed weanling fillies for $1000 each. [color=red]Far Away is the first foal of the created mare GCh Rock Star. Dam was MSW, MSP, Millionaire on the track and holds several steeplechase speed records. The filly is by a nice young sire in ICh Chivalry. [color=red]Helen of Troy is a daughter of Giant’s Causeway and GCh ShezaWildDevil (S) who’s oldest runner is a stakes winner. Not 100% sure on the name for her. Tried linking it to mum via the play Dr Faustus (which features Helen of Troy and the protagonist selling his soul to the devil).

Spent $54,500 in total and very pleased with the girls we bought home.

Well, i got in a little late but still faired pretty well. :slight_smile:  I wish I could have gotten on sooner or those Nightfight babies would have been harder to get. :wink:

I do believe this is the first time I have ever gotten a horse for $1,000, let alone two!

[color=blue]Kellathi (Point Given X Kelly Green) - An unraced 3yo and by Point Given to boot!  Worth a 1K risk I think. :slight_smile:

[color=red]French Fry (Tiznow X Ch. SweetThunderFries) - I really like this dam line and can’t believe I snagged this filly for 1K.  Great Grand Dam is RDC and Grand Dam, Home Fries, is gold rated with multiple MSWer’s. 

[color=red]Taratantara (Giant’s Causeway X Wonderifyoullkissme)- Unraced 2yo filly.  I like the GC foals.  I have seemed to have some general good luck with them so i’m excited to see how she does.  She was a little more expensive at 20,500 but she’s pretty and tall so we went for it.

I knew better, but I looked at the horses with no bids in the auction anyway. :wink:

Decided I couldn’t pass up on throwing in a 1k bid on [color=blue]CheckingUpOnYou, an unraced 2yo son of Holy Bull and Counting Pepper. His big brother by The Fighting Fifty is stakes placed, so I hope he’s got some of that talent as well. :slight_smile:

Once you’ve got 60+ 2yos, one more can’t hurt, right?

Lol, I’ve got 61 foals expected next season if I don’t sell the 4 mares I have up now. :slight_smile: