How Did You Do 2014

Hello everyone!

I was only after one broodmare in particular to add some more Cigar bloodlines to the breeding barn.  I did pay the $100k max for Celebration [Cigar (S) x Silver Skies (S)], but she is a stakes winning mare and her dam did produce a second stakes winner.

How did everyone else do?

Hi there,
Godolphin was after only GCh Fanfare and thankfully managed to bring her home… She will be bred to the best stud available next year…I just can’t make up my mind between Point Given, Worth My While, A P Indy and Highland Wizard…Anybody willing to help???
Unfortunately I am in love with ICh Spock but he wont be available to her next year!!! :'(

RCorona,
I had briefly givne Fanfare consideration- she’s an amazing mare- but knew she was well out of my price range. I would suggest maybe Worth My While? looked at her pedigree and that would make an interesting cross…

–Kayte
Diamond Dale Farm

thank you Kayte

sorry…Palmerio (Ballydoyle) left his FF account logged in and I replied using ballydoyle’s stables account…Thanks anyway Kayte!!! I hink you are right!!!
RC

I wasn’t planning on bidding, but I’ve loved Fanfare’s name since she was born, so I couldn’t resist. :wink: Congrats to Godolphin for getting her, though, the last thing I need in my barn is another mare related to Rogue or Worth, let alone both!

Of the studs you mentioned, I’d go with A.P. Indy, or possibly Point Given. You could breed her to a Rogue/Worth relative, but personally I’d cross her with something different, those 2 studs pack a big enough punch as it is without adding inbreeding to the mix.

The Worth/Rogue in-breeding is easy to do by mistake, so be careful! 

On a semi-related note: Is 3x3 inbreeding/line breeding all that bad? (Highland Laird son to a Highland Pride mare).  Should I be happy if the foal just has four legs and a tail?  Or am I mostly safe?

I managed to only bring one home [color=red]Luna Rossa

She is from the gold rated mare [color=red]Italy who’s only two foals to race prior are multi stakes winners so fingers crossed for my girl.

I thought I might have got her for under the $100k but when I bid it went straight to the $100k which seemed strange  ??? so I’ll just have to be happy with my one little girl  ;D

It’s funny the difference we all look for, I had a list of 5 in order, then another 5 if I could secure them cheap, my 2nd (sold $11.5k) 3rd pick (still only $3k) 4th (currently $20k) and 5th pick (sold $4k)

I don’t remember the exact numbers, but I don’t think it’s too bad. The main “hits” you take are in soundness (which will only go so low anyway, there is a baseline so that your foal is assured to at least be able to walk and not be crippled) and then similarity to whoever’s being inbred (which could be a good thing, could not, whatever stats Rogue/Worth have that suck will be extra-suck in an inbred foal, but the same potentially goes for the stats that don’t suck).

That would be a bug.

I think this auction will go down in Mayfair history as ‘Project Mare.’  ;D

Since we managed to double the number of mares at the barn (from four to eight), I guess I’ll let the girls go first.

[color=red]Legendary Bird is a half-sister to our own [color=green]Northern Coalminer out of [color=red]Free Bird. I’ve been really impressed with Coalminer’s racing ability so far, so I jumped at the chance to buy a sibling by the same mom. Hopefully they’ll have something in common.  :slight_smile:

Second was an as-yet unnamed filly by [color=blue]WCh. Strider out of [color=red]Ch. Worth Her Oats. She’s still very little, but we have high hopes for her.

Next was a created mare who’s been raced very thinly but with impressive FF’s. I love her name, too. [color=red]Honey Spun

Last of the girls but certainly not least was another baby by [color=blue]ICh. Alley Cat out of [color=red]Swan’s Hope.

For the boys, first we have veteran [color=green]Ch. Turn 'n Dash. He placed third in a 3yo+ Gr. 2 Stakes race on Saturday… as a five year old! He was only $1000 (and the only one of our wins to have already paid himself off  :wink:). When he finally runs out of gas, whether that be sooner or later, he’ll have a welcome home at our retirement barn.

Next was another thinly raced horse with solid prospects (and funny name to boot). [color=blue]Horror Flick

The other $1000 horse (would that they all stayed so cheap!) was another proven Allowance gelding named [color=green]Manhattan Project.

Oof! It’s been a long weekend where FF is concerned, but I’m excited to get all my new ponies to the track! Good luck to those of you guys who are still out there.  :slight_smile:

Shanthi - I did post it as a bug but though you may have deleted it as when I went back to check it was gone, that or didn’t list it correctly  :-[

Nope, never got an e-mail about a new bug. I would’ve closed it, anyway, not deleted it, if it wasn’t appropriate.

I didn’t get the broodmare I wanted but I managed to take home 5 nice horses for $2000 each.

[color=red]Sun Whisper - (Created Lines) Unraced broodmare. Has 2 foals and the only foal on the track is unraced.

[color=red]Only For A Moment - (Created Lines) She really made up for not getting the mare I wanted and I’m glad to have her. Has 2 foals and her only racing foal is a winner.

[color=red]Cat Has Flair - (ICh.Alley Cat X Classic Flair) Previously [color=red]Unnamed weanling filly. I mostly bought her because her name popped in my head and I thought it would be cute.  ;D

[color=blue]Chance of Rumors - (Ch. Rumor Has It X No Second Chance) Previously [color=blue]Unnamed yearling colt. Is No Second Chance’s first foal. Hope he will do well once he is older.

And my most shocking purchase…

[color=blue]Depths of Hell - (NCh. Devil May Care X Cigar’s Gold). I can’t believe I actually own a Devil May Care foal. Every auction I have been to his foals seem to go for a ton of money and I’m glad to add him to my barn.

Well besides successfully selling the 2 horses I had entered in the auction, I left with 4 new aquisitions for Diamond Dale- 2 broodies, 2 yearlings and a 3 yr old.  I am happy :slight_smile:

Already mentioned [color=red]Classic Julie in an earlier post in Breeding.  She is my I’m a Classic mare.  I purchased her since i have a mare already in foal to that stallion, wanted to see what crosses I could do with her and see the kind of foals she would produce. She is silver ranked right now, which impressed me, so I think she is a good addition the band.

[color=blue]Showtunes is an unraced 3 yr old cold by Giant’s Causeway.  I like that he had yet to be raced, so I’m starting from scratch with him and I can figure him out for myself.  Going to see so how those Giant Causeway’s hold up on the track :slight_smile:

also got a Giant Causeway yearling colt by Fortunate Color that I have yet to name.  Again, want to see how GC’s hold up.

My last addition is a filly by Turn n Burn.  Again, I want to see how she does on the track and, like all my filly purchases, she will be a broodie after she is finished racing (tho dependant on how well she does on the track)

–Kayte
Diamond Dale Farm

Very happy so far. Bidding on two more so will see how we go.

[color=blue]DAY TO CELEBRATE was a welcome and surprisingly cheap addition to the stable at just $12,500! He’s an unraced 3-Y-O. He’s out of Gold-rated mare MISS HAYDAY (one of my favorite lines) making him half to a slew of stakes winners. Being by CIGAR (Silver-rated) makes him 3/4 sibling to sire GCh. MY LUCKY DAY. I really like CIGAR as a sire so hopefully this boy does well. I’ve thrown him in the deep end (typical Vaucluse style) and his maiden start will be the Cadbury Guineas [Gr.1] on Wednesday.

[color=red]QUEEN OF FIRE is another very welcome addition and yet another bargain at just $17,500. She is a weanling so perhaps why she didn’t attract too much attention, but her lines are amazing. She is by the HIGHLAND ROGUE mare NCh. QUEEN who is out of DREAM SKIPPER (S). QUEEN was a fantastic runner in her time winning a Breeders’ Cup Distaff [Gr.1] and the Acorn Stakes [Gr.1] among her nine stakes wins and over $3.2 million in winnings. She only has three foals, her oldest being an unraced 2-Y-O. This girl is by ICh. RING OF FIRE (B) who is a nice young sire with a couple of nice stakes winning 3-Y-Os. I couldn’t have really gone wrong with this girl and I’m really excited to have her damline in my stable again (I own a yearling filly by DREAM SKIPPER too). I bought her nameless too so hope you like the name!

Yes I figured it was time, also. :slight_smile:  I am bidding on one more, but the highlights have already made their trek to CDS.

We felt very, very lucky to get [color=red]Rarin’ To Go (Rahy X Jet Set Go). I love love LOVE her dam line and have started a small collection. Her half sister Silver Rated Jettison was among my first broodmares and she is just a gem to have in the barn.  Her latest racer, Jettability, is a 2yo multi winner and G1 stakes winner.  Next, I was also very lucky to get the opportunity to purchase her half sister WCh. Highland Jet who won over $5M on the track and 15 stakes races.  Her foals have yet to prove themselves, but hope she follows in Jettisons hoofprints.  And now Rarin’ To Go…I have never had the opportunity to race one of Jet Set Go’s offspring and feel fortunate now to have one and the kicker is that she’s by one of our new favorite stallion’s Rahy!  She was never raced as a 2yo so we are getting a fresh 3yo filly here.  Watch her first start on the 20th in a modest NW3 Allowance at Arlington.

Next, we were holding our breath until the last minutes of [color=red]Canterbury Flames auction closing.  She has powerhouse breeding with SP Ch. Highland Fern as her dam and NCh. Starz ‘n’ Stripes as her sire.  We aren’t disappointed to get this girl as an unraced 3yo since the Starz ‘N’ Stripes foals seem to mature more as 3 and 4yo’s anyway. :slight_smile:  The last time the Seeing Starz lines were crossed with Highland Rouge the result was WCh. Strider.  You can also watch her debut on the 20th with an equally modest Allowance sprint at Arlington.

And lastly we snagged another Rahy filly.  She came to us unnamed so here she is…
[color=red]Rahy’s Lady (Rahy X Great Lady
She is nice sized weanling standing 12.1H.  She’s half to one racing sister who is a multi winner.  We thought she was worth the risk. :slight_smile:

Congrats on Rarin’ To Go! I was super keen on her. But I’m happy I have a Foolhardy filly out of Highland Jet. Bombardier is basically bred along the same lines as my super colt I’m No Fool - Foolhardy x Highland Rogue broodmare. CANNOT WAIT TO RACE HER!

Haha, yeah your lucky to have her.  It was hard for me to push the lease button. :wink:  I have to wait till 2016 to have a foal out of her since I’m holding her off till early next year to rebreed.  Not sure who yet… ::)

Yeah I’m not picking Bombardier to do much as a 2-Y-O (definitely not early in the season). She should mature well. At worse she’ll be a nice mare to have in the breeding shed!