How Did You Do 2014

Managed to snag three nice ponies :slight_smile:

Final Flame - Bright Fires x One Last Time
She’s the youngest of her sire’s daughters so we’re lucky to have her. Both Jettison and Ebony Fires are proving themselves as broods so we’re hopeful that Flame will follow suit.

Twilight Wish - Almost Home x Indylove (A.P. Indy)
It’s been a few years since we campaigned a Almost Home foal so we’re genuinely glad to have Twilight Wish. Being out a A.P. Indy mare only increased the desire to purchase this pretty filly. Both Indylove’s 3yo daughter & 4yo son are winners. Twi will most likely make her debut at Saratoga on the 28th.

Chant Set Go - War Chant x Ready Set Go (Run For It)
A six thousand purchase that could have gone for a lot more. Her dam Ready Set Go is a MSW/MSP and Chef-de-Race sire Run For It [Chasing Stardom/Bashir/Delaware Bound]. Speeding Bullet, maternal granddam is a half-sister to Crusader and Raw War, both MSW geldings. War Chant’s sire and grandsire are both Chef-de-Race sires. War Chant, so far, has decent stats as a sire out of 18 racing foals, 9 are winners and one is already a SP.

Finished the auction off with my final purchase, a created mare named [color=red]Moonlight Garden.  I liked her for her size- I seem to be attracted to the bigger horses, 16 hands and up, though I have not just purchased horses based on that.  She is unraced and a created, so should be interesting to see if she will produce anything of worth.

Also named my 2 new babies.

My Giant’s Causeway colt was given the name of [color=blue]Finn McCool.  Looked up info on the Irish Giant’s Causeway and I guess this was one of the names from the legend on how it came to be.

My Turn n Burn filly was given the name of [color=red]Ember’s Glow

This is the first time that I could go above $10,000 for a horse so I definitely spent more than I had anticipated, but I’m excited for them all! :smiley:

Our only yearling purchase came at $6,500 and we were so excited to get her that cheap! The now-named [color=red]WEEKEND RITUAL is by Chef-de-Race stallion A.P. Indy out of unraced Ritual Dancer. Her only half-sib is Behracuda, a 2yo colt who has only raced once so far but finished 3rd. We can’t wait to see how she does next year!

We had expected [color=blue]SPACE RAINBOW to go a lot higher so to get him easy and cheap was quite a thrill. A son of Planet Hollywood, he’s already raced 14 times as a 3yo but he’s hit the board 8 times while reeling off 2 100+ SF, including his latest start. He’s out of Northern Lights (Northern Slew), who has produced 2 winners from 2 runners. We’ll try him at the track before probably sending him home to rest over the winter.

Typically I do NOT like spending over 10-15k for an unraced horse, but [color=red]SUN GODESS was a huge exception. She’s by Chef-de-Race Red Sunset out of the silver-ranked Lady Godiva who has already produced multiple stakes winner and millionaire Haagan Daaz and 8 winners from 9 runners. Lots of hope riding on this girl!

Our last (and most expensive) purchase was [color=red]STAR SHOWER. This one is a little funny since, for some weird reason, I thought she was a 3yo–she’s 5! Haha. Either way, she’s a BIG girl at 17.2hh and has only been off the board once in 7 starts. She hasn’t raced since March, beating 6 with an SF of 104 (the next horse finishing with a 3 SF!). We hope she still has the form she showed earlier this spring. Either way, she could make for a nice broodmare next year, depending on how she runs this year.

I have ONE more bid going crosses fingers Here’s to hoping!

Wasn’t planning on buying so many this auction, but what can you do? :slight_smile:

[color=red]Moon Laird (Highland Laird x Blue Moon by Moonover Boy)
An unraced three year old filly, but I like her pedigree, and she’s a big blue roan filly. How could I resist?

[color=red]Back North (Northern Dancer x Back to Cashel)
North is a pretty mare out of two-silver rated parents. Her only foal to race so far is a multi-winner stakes placed filly.

[color=red]Unnamed (Almost Home x Mantlepiece by Rahy)
Haven’t decided on a name for this lady yet, but Mantlepiece’s only foal to race is a MSW and Almost Home is Chef-de-Race, so I have high hopes for her.

[color=red]Unnamed (Rumor Has It x Steal A Kiss)
Another blue roan filly. Mom and Dad are both silver-ranked.

My last bid is out on [color=blue]Scottish Idol, a colt by Salder’s Well out of one of my own broodies, Texas Rose. Can’t let him get away!

Sounds like everyone has some nice horses so far. I helped select some of them, along with Penny, so it’s nice to see them heading off to their new homes. Have come home with three new horses and one not so new one, three of which were on the original ‘must have’ list so very pleased with that.

First in [color=red]Send Me Flowers an unraced 2yo (Sadlers Wells ex Stay The Course). Got three boys by SW and couldn’t pass by the chance to get a filly although I had to have a bit of a tussle with Jason to secure her  :P. Hopefully she’s a broodie of the future.

Next in was number one choice, bronze ranked broodmare [color=red]Just A Fox. I’ve already picked up her 4yo and 2yo fillies this year, one’s now a stakes winner so I’m thrilled I managed to get her at $15,500. She’s now off to be covered by Spock.

The final one off the list almost got away, had no more room to manoeuvre money wise but luckily he’s home now - an [color=blue]Unnamed Rahy colt out of York Peppermint. Really like Rahy and the dam is silver ranked out of a gold ranked mare so hopefully some potential there.

The only other one that I came home with was [color=green]Lachlan Steven. I actually sold him privately earlier in the year but noticed him languishing with the ‘no bids’ horses and sentiment made me bring him home for $1000. Since I’ve already raced him this year I won’t be taxed any more for him and if he doesn’t show any improvement on the track he’ll be retired to nanny the colt foals once they’re weaned.  :)

A mare and a filly to add.

[color=red]ACT LIKE ROYALTY is a 4-Y-O mare who set me back $16,500. She’s very lightly raced but did place third in the Frizette Stakes [Gr.1] as a 2-Y-O. She’s had one start on over the jumps as a 3-Y-O and is actually now my first and only jumps runner. She’s by Gold-rated CLASS ACT who I’ve had great luck with - I’ve raced his three best horses I’M A CLASSIC, WITNESS and FRENCH KISS. Her dam is QUEEN OF LOVE (S) and she has foaled stakes winner GENERAL LOVE. I am tempted to send this one straight to the broodmare barn, but she should do okay at allowance level for the next six months or so.

[color=red]ILSAHERI was my final purchase and was our most expensive at $25,500. She is a nice big (17.0h) 3-Y-O dapple grey filly. She is unraced at the moment but this will change from Saturday! She’s out of JACKET REQUIRED (S), who is a mare I had the pleasure of owning once, making her half to multi stakes winners GCh. BATTLE STRIKE and GCh. FORMAL OCCASION. Her other three foals are all winners, two of which are stakes placed. She is also a CLASS ACT mare so again, I seem to have luck with that line! This filly’s sire is WCh. KING DAVID who needs no introduction although it seems he is yet to find his stride as a sire. Hopefully with a strong damline this filly can help with that!

So very happy with the four horses I’ve bought for $72,000 total. Three strong girls who will be welcome additions to our ever expanding breeding programme and a nice colt who will be fun to see how he does on the track.

We were originally not going to buy anything but there where a few that did catch our eye. We ended out walking away with a lovely broodmare whom was our top choice.

[color=red]Painted Moon is a 10 year old mare who, while on the track, won twice and earned $78,300. She’s a petite 14.3h which’ll be quite the contrast to our several 17+ handed herd members. She’s a a granddaughter of the Bronze rated Mr. Prospector through Gone West. PAINTED MOON has had three foals to date, the most recent a filly by King David. Her  only racing age foal is a 2yo filly by Unbridled; Unforgettable One, whom is already a multi winner and is 75% ITM in 12 starts.

We picked her up for only $8,000, which for us feels like a steal. We are excited to see what she’ll produce for us.

Brought home 4 so far, all pretty ladies:

First to take our ownership was the broodmare, [color=red]SUNDAY LIVING, who is by Sunday Silence.  I’ve been dying to get a Sunday Silence filly or mare in my herd (for sentimental reasons), and with him retired now, I have known that the options are limited.  So when I saw a proven brood by him for sale, and from a good damline, too, I had to jump.  Sunday Silence has several stakes quality foals, so he speaks for himself.  Sunday Living’s dam is Viva V, whose foals to race are all winners, with 1 stakes winner and one stakes placed from five to run.  Sunday Living was her first foal, and although she wasn’t raced herself, she has already produced a stakes winner/stakes placed in her firstborn son, Ch. Six Ways To Sunday (x Whirlaway).  We have sent her to see Call To War.

She was followed very closely by another Sunday Silence daughter, [color=red]MANGO FRAPPE, an unraced 2YO.  She has four older 1/2 siblings to race - two are stakes placed, one winner, and one placed, so I’m really excited about her prospects on the track.  She has been entered into a dirt maiden race (the surface preferred by her SP siblings) next week.  Fingers crossed!

We then took home another broodmare, [color=red]OLYMPIC GOLD - this time a maiden mare from created lines.  However, she is a monstrous 17.3hh and a multi-winner on both dirt and turf.  During her career she was JUST shy of showing in a stakes race (from 2 turf attempts), even though she appears to have been most consistant on dirt.  That’s how it goes under FF management, though - we’ll never know.  Either way, she was consistantly on the board - I’m hoping she can pass that along to her offspring.  I’m hoping to get her a date to Worth My While, but we’re still pending approval.  :slight_smile:

We also just won another broodmare, [color=red]SPRINGWALKER - an unraced maiden mare from created lines.  She has had two foals to date, but her 2YO has yet to hit the track, so we have no idea what she’s made of.  Springwalker is a complete gamble, but as a leggy strawberry roan (17.1hh) with a pretty name, I’m willing to give her a shot.  I’ve had a lot of luck with created lines in the past, so I’m hoping it will continue.  We shall see!  Not sure who she’s going to date this year - time to investigate.

Brought home 5! Spent more than I probably should have, but I have no willpower when it comes to buying horses lol.

Brought home two broodmares with created lines: [color=red]Zephyre and [color=red]With Lemon. Zephyre is unraced and has not been bred before, while With Lemon has had two foals, a Spectacular Bid filly and a Rahy colt.

[color=red]Unnamed (Diplomat (S) x Dance at Daybreak (B)), a grey yearling filly. She was the one I wanted the most… I stalked the last 9 minutes of the auction. It nearly killed me! XD

[color=red]Unnamed (King David (B) x Painted Moon), a black weanling filly.

[color=blue]Johnny Canuck (As You Wish (B) x Seattle Native), a bay weanling colt. I’m glad that I got this boy, since my As You Wish colt was stillborn. He was previously unnamed, but I’m not sure if I like this name or not though.

We were interested in six horses and were successful in obtaining all of them for a total of $55K.

There were three horses out of [color=red]Sunset Beauty, a mare whose progeny we have had success with ([color=blue]Ch. Tottenham Hotspur, a 4YO colt who has won 4 Stakes races and $550k+ in our colors). We won all three of them:-

[color=red]Play Those Tunes, an 11YO broodmare by Dixieland Jazz
[color=red]Sunset Prospect, an unraced 3YO filly by Mr. Prospector
An unnamed yearling filly by Rumor Has It who has been named [color=red]Beautiful Rumor

We also won an unnamed yearling filly by Moonopoly out of [color=red]Play Those Tunes, which has been named [color=red]Tshotsholoza (FYI:- Tshotsholoza is a South African working song - my son sang the Bass Solo part of this song when his High School Chorus competed at the Heritage Festival Choral Competition in Washington DC last year, hence the choice of name)

Our last two acquisitions were:-
[color=red]Painted Raven, an unraced 2YO colt by [color=blue]Slew O’Scots out of [color=red]Painted Desert. Not only do we own [color=red]Painted Desert, but have a number of her progeny.

An unnamed yearling filly by [color=blue]Moonopoly out of [color=red]Fanci Remark, which has now been named [color=red]Moony’s Fancy. She is a half sister to [color=red]Veiled Dancer, a 2YO filly out of [color=blue]Rahy, who has already won 3 out of her 4 starts this year (we claimed her earlier this year but she hasn’t raced for us yet).

All in all, a very satisfactory auction. Thanks to all who had a hand in organizing and selecting the horses for the auction.