Famous Stallion Talk

Hey everyone! It’s been so quiet around here the past couple of days that I decided

to write a quick thought on my favorite Famous stallions from real-life, and from FF. Do I

have to do a Jason crazy dance to get you people to post a message or two? (just kidding Jase

lol) :smiley: Please post your thoughts here about what real-life lines and FF stallions you like

the best. Here is my FAVORITE stallion. Period. Read on:

I have a love affair with

Seattle Slew plain and simple. He is by far my most favorite stallion in real life, and in

FF. He has sired countless stakes winners, and produced the amazing racehorse and sire A.P.

Indy who is also a top favorite of mine. Here is a list of his top progeny in

real-life:

[b]A.P. Indy (G1), Slew O’Gold (G1), Surfside (G1), Swale

(G1), Capote (G1), Landaluce (G1), Digression, Taiki Blizzard (G1), Dantsu Seattle (G1),

Hishi Natalie (G2), Matikane Kinnohosi (G2), Slew City Slew (G1), Flute (G1), Event Of The

Year (G2), Life At The Top (G1), Lakeway (G1), Tsunami Slew (G1), Honest Lady (G1), Adored

(G1), Slewpy (G1), Borodislew (G2), Fleet Renee (G1), Yonder (G2), Fast Play (G1), Scorpion

(G1), and Serra Lake (G1).[/b]

Those are only his TOP racing foals.

Overall, Slew’s foals have currently earned over 75 million

dollars up to the year 2001.

Now considering his FF simulated self, who has stakes

winners:

[b]A.P. Indy (G1), Northern Slew (G1), Seductive Girl (G1),

Midnight Danger (G1), Slew O’Scots (G1), and Seattle Sorcerer

(G1).[/b]

Out of his 19 foals to date, 16 are currently racing and with six

stakes winners to his name out of 16 that isn’t bad. Slew’s stat’s in the game are

currently 8th best in the whole game:

[b]Rank Stallion Stud Fee Foals

Starters Win % G1 Start % G1 Place % G1 Win & % Chasers Earnings[/b]

8 |

Seattle Slew | $50,000 | 19 | 13 | 76.92 | 53.85 | 46.15 | 30.77 | 46.15 | $3,774,500

I also own a Seattle Slew stakes winner, which may be why I’m a bit partial to

him… but now what are everyone elses thoughts? Point Given?Seabiscuit? Lonesome Glory? Man

O’War? Give a shout and let’s hear it!
:smiley:

~Lindsay

Yeah,

Seattle Slew is great. I bred to him in the first breeding season of FF and produced Dorado

who was the #2 older colt of 2005. He is defintely a top sire.

My current favorite

right now is Point Given though. True, he’s only had one foal race so far(more will make

their debuts this year) but that one foal, Whistler’s Point-who

I own, won the 2yo GI, the Clearwater Sprint, in his last start. It will be interesting to

see if that foal wasn’t just a freak or if Point Given really is a quality sire who will

give FF many quality racehorses. I, for one, hope he lives up to his promise!

Other

Famous sires I like(some of which I am breeding to this year):
Gallant Fox: sire of Heza

Gallant Gent;most foals are winners
Affirmed: many consistent foals
Danzig: many

consistent foals/GI winner
Lonesome Glory: LOVED his 2yos this year!! They kicked

butt!
A.P. Indy:he has REALLY had some kick butt foals in the past;lately they’ve only

been so-so though

IN REAL LIFE:
I LOVED Alydar, its too bad he died so young and

tragically! In real life Affirmed was the better racehorse in their rivalry but Alydar was

by far the better sire!

AND OF COURSE-Seattle Slew! I was soooo sad when he died, I

had always wanted to go see him but now its too late :frowning: . There’s two horses I consider to

have made the biggest impact on American racing on the track AND in the breeding shed and

they are Man O’War and Seattle Slew. Both were superstars on the racetrack and produced

record numbers of GI winning racehorses!

Anybody else like those guys or any other

Famous studs?

When we’re talking stallions here, I’m all for Storm Cat!

I got this from the

Overbrook Farm website: [Storm Cat’s achievements]

"…Leading the way are 2002

Keeneland July sales-topper ONE COOL CAT (dam by Mr. Prospector) and OLD DEUTERONOMY (dam by

Seeking the Gold), 1-2 finishers in the August 11 Phoenix S. [G1] at The Curragh. This was

ONE COOL CAT?S third consecutive victory, following a brilliant win in the July 13 Dubai Duty

Free Anglesey S. [G3]. Other leading juvenile runners are DENEBOLA (dam by Mr. Prospector),

winner of the Prix de Cabourg [G3] at Deauville on August 2, GRAND REWARD (dam by Rahy),

third in the August 20 Gimcrack S. [G2] at York, Goodwood stakes performers THE MIGHTY TIGER

(dam by Deputy Minister, second in the July 30 Vintage S. [G2]) and OLD DEUTERONOMY (second

by a half-length in the July 29 Four Star Richmond S. [G2] in his last start before the

Phoenix), and CATSTAR (dam by Soviet Star), second in Royal Ascot’s 5-furlong Queen Mary S.

[G3].

His seven sophomore Group/Graded stakes horses in 2003 include undefeated

classic winner NEBRASKA TORNADO (dam by Lycius), who accelerated brilliantly to capture the

Prix de Diane Hermes [G1] in only her third career start, following an eye-catching win in

the listed Prix Melisande at Longchamp and a sparkling maiden win at Saint-Cloud. She is the

sixth classic winner for her sire, joining TABASCO CAT, SHARP CAT, BLACK MINNALOUSHE,

SARDULA, and FINDER?S FEE.

Other leading sophomore runners include FINAL ROUND (dam by

Private Account), who closed well to capture the $111,800 La Troienne S. [G3] at Churchill

Downs this spring before placing in both the $300,000 Mother Goose S. [G1] and the $250,000

Acorn S. [G1], KHULOOD (dam by Exclusive Native), impressive 2-length winner of the 7-furlong

Shadwell Stud Nell Gwyn S. [G3] at Newmarket in her 2003 debut, and second in Cuisine de

France Summer S. [G3] at York on July 11, and STATUE OF LIBERTY (dam by Seattle Slew), second

by a head in the July 30 Sussex S. [G1].

2002 Leading Sire of Stakes Winners

and Graded Stakes Winners - 18 SWs (10 Group/Graded) including champions STORM FLAG FLYING

[G1] (dam by Easy Goer) and HOLD THAT TIGER [G1] (dam by Caveat), RAGING FEVER (dam by

Seattle Slew), winner of four 2002 graded stakes including the Ogden Phipps H. [G1], and

SOPHISTICAT (dam by Rahy), winner of the Coronation S. [G1] and Prix de la Grotte [G3] and

also a close third in the Poule d?Essai des Pouliches [G1].

Also 2002 Leading

Juvenile Sire and Leading Sire of Juvenile Stakes Winners (8) - with 19 juvenile winners of

more than $2.3 million, among them Eclipse champion STORM FLAG FLYING and European champion

HOLD THAT TIGER. STORM FLAG FLYING was undefeated in 4 starts at 2, including a game victory

in the Breeders? Cup Juvenile Fillies [G1], a commanding win in Belmont Park?s $500,000

Frizette S. [G1], and a devastating 12 3/4-length victory in the $200,000 Matron S. [G1].

HOLD THAT TIGER was a gutsy third in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile [G1] after breaking poorly

and running 7-wide on the turn. In his previous start, he was a decisive winner of

Longchamp’s Grand Criterium-Lucien Barriere [G1]. Other leading 2002 juveniles included

multiple SW and $6.4 million yearling purchase VAN NISTELROOY [G2] (dam by Halo), ONTARIO

[G3] (dam by Bustino), STATUE OF LIBERTY [G3], grade 1-placed MARINO MARINI (dam by Waquoit),

KHULOOD, 4-length winner of Newmarket’s listed Oh So Sharp S. in new course record time, and

FINAL ROUND, third in Keeneland’s $445,200 Alciabiades S. [G2] following a 2 1/4-length

stakes win at Monmouth Park.

A Leading 2001 Sire of SWs and Graded SWs - 14 SWs (8

Group/Graded), including classic winner BLACK MINNALOUSHE (dam by Green Dancer), winner of

both the Irish Two Thousand Guineas [G1] and Royal Ascot?s St. James?s Palace S. [G1].

Leading Sire in North America, 2000 - 12 SWs (9 group/graded) and earners of more

than $9.2 million.

Leading Sire in North America, 1999 - with 24 SWs (7 Group/Grade 1;

15 Group/Graded) and earners of more than $10.3 million; Second-Leading Sire in North

America, 2002 and 1998.

Leading Juvenile Sire in North America Six Times - 2002, 1999,

1998, 1995, 1993 and 1992.

Sire of 25 Group/Grade 1 winners, 71 Group/Graded Stakes

Winners, 111 Stakes Winners, and earners of more than $74 million.

The leading sire

of sales yearlings in 2002 for the third time in the last 4 years - sire of Keeneland July’s

$3.1 million sales-topping colt and $2.8 million sales-topping filly, Keeneland September’s

$2.5 million sales-topper and Saratoga’s $1.3 million sales-topper. His first 2003 sales

yearling topped Saratoga’s opening session at $1.1 million. He was also covering sire of the

$4 million sales-topper at Keeneland November 2002. His 2001 yearlings sold for $6.4 million,

$5.5 million, $3.3 million, $3 million, etc. "

He was never a great racehorse, but

proved to be an amazing stallion. Just read that…talk about a great stud! :smiley:

His

lines include:

Northern Dancer
Nearctic
Native Dancer
Secretariat
Bold

Ruler
Princequillo
Nasrullah
Bolero

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: What do ya’ll think? [I

think this is the part where Jase posts about Danehill]

Oh and did

I metion Giant’s Causeway? Hes a Storm Cat stud.

Well Lindsay,
I have

personally met Slew City Slew, in fact I know the person who owns him! He’s really pretty

too. :smiley:

Oh that’s so cool. Maybe

when I go to Kentucky for July 4th I’ll get to meet Silver Charm ,Sky Mesa, Smarty Jones and

Storm Cat.

[b]Gallant

Fox[/b] has ALWAYS been my all time favourite stallion. No idea why, just always

has!

He won the triple crown in 1930, that in itself is an amazing accomplishment. Then

his foal Omaha won it in 1935. He also won the Flash S., Junior Champion S., Wood Memorial

S., Preakness S., Kentucky Derby, Belmont S., Dwyer S., Classic S., Saratoga Cup, Lawrence

Realization, and the Jockey Club Gold Cup.

On FF he hasn’t had supurb foals, regardless,

he is still my favourite! I picked up the gallant fox foal [i]Cool

Breeze[/i]. She placed well in her first race. I’m hoping to breed a few gallant

fox babies :smiley:

My favorite stallion of all

time was Charismatic. I’m not sure why really just something about him I really really

REALLY like lol. That’s why I put his name is my colt’s show name. I hoped my colt would

have as much heart as Charismatic did.

I really like Charismatic,

too. Not sure I like him quite enough to name my RL horse after him, but I’ll definately be

pulling for Sun King in the Derby.

In RL, Seabiscut was my all

time favorite. He won at California, New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maryland,

while winning ten major events, eclipsing five track records and bankrolling 1937’s highest

earnings.

But not just that, it was his spirit and love, and willingness to prove who 

he was. :slight_smile:

you’ll really like Kentucky

Chris. :smiley: Rolling green pastures, white fences, horses grazing… I wouldn’t trade it for

the world. B)

hmmmm… I’ve been thinking

about this post long and hard…
But I’d have to say that I’ve got a three way tie going,

and 2 are fillies! :smiley:

Secretariat will forever be my favorite, simply because he is what

the thorougbred industry in American should strive for… again… As a sire, I’ll admit he

was limited; but we know that talent likes to skip generations, and many of the leading sires

currently have Big Red as their broodmare sire.

So, I’ve definitely become more of a mare

person as of late…:stuck_out_tongue:. Ruffian is definitely tied with Secretariat as my favorite, on the

basis of heart alone. Not only was she bred spectacularly for the time (Reviewer could not

have been a better choice for Shenanigans, and I’m surprised they didn’t think of it

sooner!) with the biggest heart in racing, and a beautifully feminine refinement, she was

undefeated before the fatal match race with Foolish Pleasure. If only she had made it to

retirement, and continued the line of Rein De Course, I think we would have seen extrordinary

horses come out of that.

And the three-way tie finishes with Personal Ensign ( who I

sometimes believe is Ruffian reincarnated…:slight_smile:) She’s a REALLY cool mare… and to tell you

the truth I think it’s because of the Buckpasser, Pocahontas and War Admiral (whose 4dX5s)

in her pedigree. Somewhere I was reading that Buckpasser, like Secretariat, was considered

conformationally perfect for his time, and stamped his offspring with the same

characteristics (which I think is important and often overlooked in TB breeding). Now!

Pocahontas is just simply an incredibly Rein de Course mare, and should probably be treated

more like La Troienne in terms of greatness because of the incredible horses she produced,

but more importantly the line she started. Great mare… and everybody knows War Admiral. A

machine… outrageous.

So those are my three… the closest I’ve come to owning anything

related is my mare… who has War Admiral like 4th generation… So she’s kinda related to

Personal Ensign… I’ll keep telling myself that.

Glad to see the girls being

featured, though the thread is titled “famous stallion talk”. :wink: But go, girls!

I am new here but thought I’d toss in my idea. I love Tobasco Cat and Bold Ruler. I am all for Northren Dancer as well. I know I am strange I hit real old lines.

I am in love with Charismatic. Overcoming diversity and showing the heart he did was truly inspirational for me. He is an amazing horse.

I also love Secretariat, Storm Cat, Unbridled, Point Given, and Seattle Slew.

I’ll admit I’m more of a quarter horse person, but Secretariate is the best in my eyes. Of the thoroughbreds and of all horses ever tied with Dash for Cash he is the finest horse to have been BORN. That horse, to me, was t he greatest thing on four legs. He was the king on the track, he set records that remained top for YEARS, if they’re broken now. I don’t know much, but to me he is the great.

even if he never sired, I’m also a huge ‘phan’ of Phar Lap.

I’d have to say it’s a tie between Man O’ War and Secretariat for me. Their records, heart and of cours, babies, were amazing and nothing short of phenomenal. And since he is a male racehorse, I’d have to add Barbaro to my list. He really inspires me and I think what he did made him deserve the title of champion.

And to veer off from all the testosterone, I’d like to put a word in for the mares. So, I have to say…Ruffian’s my girl.

Danehill is my favourite. Too bad he died, he’s left a BIG impact on not only Australian racing, but racing around the world. I also love Zabeel. Redoute’s Choice and Encosta de Lago are two new-ish sire’s I really like too.

Ruffian–Heck yes :slight_smile: (I got to go see her grave last year… It was so sad. T_T My friend and I put little white flowers across it.)
Sunday Silence–because he won the derby the same year I was born xP (and I love his name)
Secretariat–Gotta love 'im. (Got to see his grave too… and we put flowers on it too ;_; We even got to see his stall and his bridal… oosh… it was so beautiful…)
Man O’War–Has been my favorite horse of all time since I first heard about him. I think my mom told me about him, or I saw a show on him :confused: I can’t remember. I did end up reading several books about him though… and I fell in love ;D
The Black–Okay, he’s not real. But you have to admit–this is one awesome famous stallion xP He is what got me really started into reading. I saw a beautiful horse on the cover of a book and that was it :stuck_out_tongue:
Black Beauty–Yeah, yeah. I know… Still not real, Mooch. But, I adooooooore him. (And still, at the age of 17, I cry every time I see that movie. I. Am. That. Sad. :-[ )

I’ve met Slew City Slew! ;D I don’t know if my aunt and uncle still have him standing at their farm or not. hmmmm, ???