Famous Races 2023: Steeplechase

Let’s start with the less popular category… If your horse is a potential steeplechase superstar, these races should be definitely considered:

Steeplechase up to 10 furlongs:

• 2023-01-30 #46 Santa Anita Santa Monica Handicap (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 7 furlongs 4yo+ $200,000 - Big Money
  • 2023-04-17 #46 Churchill Downs Highland Rogue Stakes (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 10 furlongs 4yo+ $250,000
  • 2023-07-31 #48 England King George VI Chase (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 10 furlongs 3yo+ $150,000
  • 2023-09-25 #47 Belmont Vosburgh Stakes (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 8.5 furlongs 3yo+ $500,000

Steeplechase races over a longer distance:

• 2023-05-18 #46 England Ascot Gold Cup (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 20 furlongs 3yo+ $375,000
  • 2023-06-12 #50 England The Grand National (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 24 furlongs 3yo+ $500,000
  • 2023-06-29 #50 England Cheltenham Gold Cup (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 17 furlongs 3yo+ $300,000
  • 2023-07-17 #48 Ireland Irish Grand National (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 15 furlongs 3yo+ $350,000
  • 2023-09-11 #47 Arlington Joe Aitcheson (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 14 furlongs 3yo+ $250,000
  • 2023-10-16 #47 Aqueduct Meadow Brook Stakes (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 16 furlongs 3yo+ $500,000
  • 2023-12-21 #44 Aqueduct Townsend Prince Breeders’ Stakes (Gr. 1) Steeplechase 13 furlongs 3yo+ $300,000

And of course the Breeders’ Cup and Breeders’ Series, if your horse is nominated and qualified. Santa Monica Handicap comes first… any plans? My filly [color=red]Ch. Fool For Flowers is something like a sprinter, and she won an allowance recently, but she rarely runs against the boys… Also [color=red]Ch. Glamorous Fog, but she hasn’t won a race in 2022. :stuck_out_tongue:

In 2022 I only wrote about The Grand National, in which the winner was NCh. Gaudy Night (he also won in 2019) from Starfish Stables. I also wrote about Velká Pardubická which is not in the game.

I have two older chasers, each seeking one final requirement to enter studhood. Currently leasing Legends Last who just needs a G1 board placing and is aimed at the Highland Rogue Stakes, and Clowning Around who needs a stakes win of any grade and just hoping for a lucky break somewhere. He’s currently in Florida eyeballing those SC stakes races.

Had a great run in this year’s BS races with the chasers, with wins and board hits from Wayfaring Power, St. James, Wedding Chorale, and others. I don’t really map out campaigns for the chasers beyond choosing locations with the most opportunities. My G1 quality kids are currently wintering and mostly aimed for England debuts next year after some rest and training.

I vote we add more SC races in general. I have a lot of chasers that would love more races.

Me too.there are very few SC stakes races towards the end of the year which is a pity as I have some decent SC horses

Yes, please!  It’s tough having a bunch of SC ponies who like the same distances.

The lack of options is why I no longer own any SC horses. Just not enough incentive, really.

Would love more SC races/especially stakes races. Shanthi, I have a spreadsheet list of multiple graded/group hurdle and chase races between Oct-Dec held in the UK if you would like a copy. Maybe we can integrate?

I’m not based in Oz so others may have a much stronger opinion, but I would be fine with removing SC races in Oz unless stakes races are added. Right now there’s only non-stakes SC down under, which might be tricky for newer/poorer members with nice chasers who can’t really afford to ship them elsewhere for stakes company. Removing Oz chase races entirely might free up more slots for SC stakes races elsewhere – just a thought.

Looks like first post from this topic disappeared… is there any chance to recover it, [member=2]Shanthi[/member] ?

Not sure, the forum is just being evil lately.

Yay, first post is back! And the first big steeplechase sprint is coming - Santa Anita Santa Monica Handicap (Gr. 1). I even entered a filly :smile: that will be her first Grade 1 but at least she seems to like sprints.

The winner of Santa Monica Handicap is Big Money (Krajina). His first stakes win and already a grade 1! He won by a nose. [color=red]GCh. Contemporary Style[/color] (Littlefield) finished 2nd and Ch. Unethical (Gintara Lodge) was 3rd.

Highland Rogue Stakes comes next, at Churchill Downs.

The RL Grand National is this Saturday, 5.15pm UK time. Last year’s winner, Tiger Roll, is current favourite after winning a hurdle race earlier this season and the Cross Country chase at Cheltenham a few weeks ago. He carries a higher weight this year but seems in good form. Interestingly, he’s bred to be a flat racer much like the last back to back winner of the GN, Red Rum back in the 1970s. I won’t be having a bet but it would be wonderful to see him win again. Fingers crossed all the runners come home safe and sound.

1 Like

TIGER ROLL DID IT!!!:grin::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiley:

(Sad news about one who fell at the first though)

:smiley:

Fabulous little horse!

Thanks for remembering it! And there is a video of the race:

I had guests yesterday so I couldn’t follow but I saw some beautiful photos of Tiger Roll on Instagram:

Highland Rogue Stakes is coming! And Ch. Emoji is entered - a colt bred by Clicker Lab, now owned by New Boston Stables. At least we still keep the dam :wink:
Good luck!

Hoping Legends Last can at least hit the board in the Highland Rogue. Just needs a top 3 to qualify for stud!

@Hilda_with_Clicker I am rooting for Emoji as well! I wish I had kept the dam, but at least we kept his big brother, the stallion Zadar, and 1 sister who is now part of our broodmare band. I hope he does well!

And the winner is… GCh. Unequalled Flight (Littlefield), the 2022 Steeplechase Mare Of The Year.
Ascot Gold Cup in England comes next; an endurance race over 20 furlongs.

And finally a big event for your steeplechasers, the Ascot Gold Cup! It’s on Saturday and there are three horses entered already; my colt Excellent Heart, with absolutely zero experience at this level :stuck_out_tongue: but hey, his dam is platinum ranked :wink: mainly thanks to her daughter NCh. Sneaky Surfer, a multi-millionaire steeplechaser, who maybe did not win the Ascot Gold Cup, but she was very successful at middle to long distance. And she is now in foal to Al Mundhir!

Another horse entered is the well known NCh. Gaudy Night (Starfish Stables), who won The Grand National twice, but this year he has yet to win anything.

Third horse is Introvert owned by Rainee Thoroughbreds who finished a promising 2nd in Gr. 2 Whimsical Stakes. 15 1/4 lengths behind the winner, but there was a speed record!