Famous Races 2023: Dirt

No entries for me this year, most of our 3yo’s have either flopped entirely or seem to like the turf so we do have two aimed at the Irish and English Derbys/Guineas’. Might have a filly for the second leg of the dirt TT, but that’s about it.

Good luck to everyone!

Kentucky Derby 2019 - my favourite is Win Win Win, because of name! :smiley: His parents have cool names too. But I also like his pedigree, no inbreeding till 5th generation (where Mr. Prospector appears twice).

And the winner is Lord Percy (Gant’s Farm), congratulations! Preakness Stakes next!

In the Oaks, the winner is GCh. Ancient Ghost (Pruchna), unbeaten this year. My filly GCh. Wiry Feeling finished 2nd.

Super excited with my filly, Rose of Obsidian, who held her own against the boys to run 3rd in the Derby.

I would like to point out that Mr. Townsend has now sired the last 2 FF Kentucky Derby winners.

2 Likes

“But traffic at Barn 43 picked up a few days later after Win Win Win hooked up with Bill Mott’s Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1) contenders Tacitus and Country House in his final breeze April 28 ahead of the May 4 target. The Hat Trick colt was taken four wide and completed his work in :47 3/5, fourth-fastest of 76 at the distance, and became the buzz horse of the day.” - Blood Horse

Well, there was some drama!

The official winner is Country House, after Maximum Security got disqualified. My favourite Win Win Win finished 9th.

In the Oaks, the winner is Serengeti Empress, and the beautiful rose grey Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies winner and Eclipse Champion Two-Year-Old Filly Jaywalk finished 13th. Positive Spirit fell early after being squeezed between two horses.

There was also a news story on Reuters TV, about the Kentucky Derby incident:

Final Furlong’s Preakness Stakes is next Saturday, and there are five horses entered at the moment, but the Kentucky Derby winner Lord Percy (Gant’s Farm) is still boarded at Churchill Downs.
Of horses that are entered, two ran in Kentucky Derby; Ch. Fuzzy Square (Starfish Stables) who finished 2nd and GCh. Fading Colours (Stillwater Farms) who finished 4th.

Preakness Stakes winner is a brave filly GCh. Ancient Ghost (R. Dove), she won against all colts!! She also won Kentucky Oaks and is unbeaten this year. Who knows, maybe if she ran in the Kentucky Derby, she’d have a chance for a Triple Crown?
In real life, there was another drama in the Preakness:

The winner was War of Will, who finished 7th in the Kentucky Derby.
Queen’s Plate Stakes comes next, and it’s the first leg of Canadian Triple Crown.

I forgot there were two lists in this topic - of shorter and longer famous races on dirt.

But the third leg of American Triple Crown is coming this Saturday, both in real life and in Final Furlong.

In the game, we had fields of 10 horses both in Kentucky Derby and in Preakness Stakes; and there was just one filly in each of them. In the Kentucky Derby, it was Rose of Obsidian (Black Storm West) who finished 3rd, and in the Preakness Stakes it was GCh. Ancient Ghost (Pruchna) - she won, remaining unbeaten this year. She is now entered in Belmont Stakes, and she’s not going to be the only filly this time; Rose of Obsidian is there too, as well as my filly GCh. Wiry Feeling whom I entered on a whim, just now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lord Percy (Gant’s Farm), the Kentucky Derby winner, finished 8th in the Preakness and he is entered in Belmont Stakes.

In real life, the Kentucky Derby winner was Country House , after Maximum Security got disqualified. The Preakness Stakes winner was War of Will , who finished 7th in the Kentucky Derby. War of Will is now favourite for the Belmont Stakes. The second favourite is Tacitus:

Tacitus is a son of Tapit, who has sired three Belmont Stakes winners (Tapwrit, Creator, Tonalist) and he is 3x4 inbred to Unbridled, sire to another Belmont Stakes winner (Empire Maker). Unbridled won the 1990 Kentucky Derby, finished 2nd in Preakness Stakes, and 4th in Belmont Stakes.

Unbridled was also the grandsire of the filly Eight Belles, who finished 2nd in the Kentucky Derby but was euthanized on the track, after she broke both front pasterns.

Ch. Fuzzy Square (Starfish Stables) wins Belmont Stakes. Congratulations, Lewis! He was 2nd in the Kentucky Derby and 3rd in the Preakness. Lord Percy (Gant’s Farm) finished 4th.

The three amazing fillies also did well: GCh. Ancient Ghost (Pruchna) finished 2nd, just a neck behind the winner and a nose in front of my filly GCh. Wiry Feeling. Rose of Obsidian (Black Storm West) finished 5th.

No American Triple Crown winners this time, but perhaps some Horse Of The Year candidates…?

Queen’s Plate Stakes in Woodbine is coming, and it’s the first leg of Canadian Triple Crown.

10 hours till the real life Belmont Stakes!! War of Will or Tacitus? :wink:

Surprise! Sir Winston (by Awesome Again) wins the Belmont Stakes:

Tacitus finished 2nd, War of Will was 9th.

Real life Queen’s Plate is next week, and in Final Furlong it was today. The winner is Ch. The Red Romance (Rainee Thoroughbreds). Will he fight for Canadian Triple Crown? Second leg, Prince of Wales Stakes, will be on 20th July, at Fort Erie.

Real life Queen’s Plate is today!

The real life winner of Queen’s Plate Stakes is One Bad Boy:

Real life Prince of Wales Stakes is on July 23rd, and in FF on July 20th, at Fort Erie.

Ch. The Red Romance (Rainee Thoroughbreds) finished 2nd in Prince of Wales Stakes; Ch. Fuzzy Square (Starfish Stables) won. Fuzzy Square also won Belmont Stakes this year, but finished 2nd in Kentucky Derby and 3rd in the Preakness.

Real life Prince of Wales Stakes is today!

Blue Diamond Stakes for 2yo’s is coming soon in Australia.

Tone Broke wins real life Prince of Wales Stakes; One Bad Boy finished 3rd. Tone Broke was 3rd in Queen’s Plate.

Third leg of Canadian Triple Crown is Breeders’ Stakes. Who’s running?

My colt Neat Mist won Blue Diamond Stakes, yay! Travers Stakes next.

1 Like

Congratulations Hilda

1 Like

Also Travers Stakes is coming soon, and in real life it will be three days later. Possible runners are Maximum Security (the disqualified Kentucky Derby winner), Tacitus (third in the Kentucky Derby, and 2nd in Belmont Stakes) and Game Winner (Eclipse Champion 2yo male, recently won Los Alamitos Derby).