2016 2yo Auction: How'd You Do?

As horses start to sell, the thread must be made ;D

Still have 3 bids out there, but we’ve so far managed to take home two horses. We really wanted another Holy Bull foal and were very excited to acquire [color=red]Victoria’s Day. She is out of Ch. Worth Avenue, by What’s it Worth §, a MSW who banked $692,100. Victoria’s Day is her oldest foal, and Holy Bull’s first crop runs this year, so she’s a bit of a chance. However, Worth Avenue is a half-sister to Darling Evil, dam of 3 SW’s including Ch. Nitemareon Elm St and Ch. Dream Evil so we’re really hopeful with Victoria’s Day.

We rarely go after yearlings, but [color=green]Vuela Vuela caught our eye. By Point Given (S), he’s out of Ch. Back to Omaha (Omaha (S)), a SW of $268,650. Back to Omaha is half to CashelsPossibility (S) and Back North (S) so we think we have a real runner on our hands (being by Point Given doesn’t hurt, either!).

We’ve spent just $2,500 on the pair; they should make that back at the very least! As mentioned earlier, we still have bids going on 3 others (one of whom we especially like, fingers crossed!). How about you guys?

Im just waiting for the time to run out on Damascally and hoping no one else tries to top me - Only one that Im getting :slight_smile: Her half brother retired from stud this last year, and she will cross nicely with Drum Major when he starts making babies.

Uhhg i had to take my son to a college open house and completely forgot about the auction and all my first picks are sold or expensive. I did manage to bid on a few whos names caught my eye,now the wait begins. :slight_smile:

This time I first selected the names that I really like, and from these I picked four that had nicest features for me. Very happy about the results! Took all of them in the first try.

[color=blue]Gold Tic - chestnut colt by Point Given (S), out of Flash Photography (S). Among his half siblings are: GCh. Aperture, Ch. Flash of Lightning, Ch. Flashy Valentine. Considering his sire’s stud fee, that was really a steal. Can’t wait to race him!
Purchased for $20,500.

[color=blue]Sugarbird - brown colt by GCh. My Lucky Day (S), out of Beautiful Flight (B). Really wanted to have a horse by this stud!
Purchased for $11,000.

[color=blue]Im Your Daddy - blood bay colt by ICh. Take Me Away, out of Dance Deelite, a stakes placed mare with a speed record on dirt. He’s her first foal. Very curious about him, as I’m breeding two mares to his sire. And would be fun to have him studified :stuck_out_tongue:
Purchased for $1,000.

[color=red]Gentle Charlotte - I thought it will be fun to have her, as I already have a mare named Charlotte (not related). A black filly by ICh. Stressed (B), out of Exotic Lover. She’s her dam’s first foal. Her dosage looks really nice, should have talent for dirt and turf.
Purchased for $1,000.

Bought four horses for $33,500 total - not bad!

I have 2 of Sugarbird’s half-brothers, 3yo and yearling. The 3yo finished 2nd in his first race and looks quite nice. Hope he does well for you.

I only set out to get one, and I’m amazed he came home so cheaply.

[color=blue]Brilliant Protoge is the son of A.P. Indy (S) and Road Runner (S), who’s by Cross Roads (S). He’s half-brother to MSW Park Bench (by Street Wise). We’ve always loved Indy, so we’re hoping his son does well. He’s a steal at only $20,000.

Congratulations to Renegade Racing and Breeding on the purchase of [color=blue]Dreaming of Glory. Best of luck with him!

Lost out on a couple of my first choices but bought home 3 so far and waiting on two more.

[color=red]Gambler’s Hope (Simply Heroic X [i]Evol

[quote=“Shadowfax”]
[color=red]Gambler’s Hope (Simply Heroic X [i]Evol

Got two so far with a couple more still going. Both were my first choices so pretty pleased with that.

[color=blue]Northern Officer is by AP Indy out of Charente (S), a half brother to some SP runners. His 3yo half sister only started racing this year and won again on Saturday so hopefully he might be useful. He’s the first AP Indy we’ve had. Cost $20,500 which was a lot less than I expected to pay.

[color=red]Half Moon Bay is from the first crop of Take Me Away out of the SW created mare Flower Market. Bought her because I liked the name and she was a steal at $1000. First foal for her dam so a bit of an unknown quantity.

[color=red]Latinate 17.1 Dark Grey (The Fighting Fifty X Hush Up) Not sure what this filly will be as her mother is unraced and she’s the first foal. Nice little progect

I had really, really liked Sugarbird but I told myself I could only spend over 10k on 1 horse and dropped out. Same with Northern Officer, haha. I make myself not spend over 15k on any untried horses now. Unless I’m rolling in dough, which I’m not (dang breeding season. I love and hate you all at once).

In all, we managed to buy 5 horses for 15k total. In addition to Victoria’s Day and Vuela Vuela we took home:

[color=red]Perelandria (GCh. Highland Laird (S) x Ch. Mercury Rising). We’re SUPER excited to have gotten this Laird daughter! It’s hard to tell how she’ll do on the track since her dam’s only other racing-age foal has raced just once. At the very least she’ll make for a great broodmare prospect.

[color=blue]Mr. Cowboy (Ch. Turn n’Burn (S) x A Firm Thing (B), by Affirmed (S)). We originally had no eyes on Mr. Cowboy but after several of our favorites quickly moved out of our price range, we found ourselves skimming through the horses with no bids. Affirmed is a pretty nice broodmare sire, and Mr. Cowboy is half to MSP Moment of Silence. Most of his siblings are extremely lightly raced, but pretty consistent. He’ll sit at home for several more months since he’s a May baby and is only 14.3hh.

[color=blue]Secret Damascus (NCh. Boldness Shows (B) x After Hours (S), by Executive Orders (B)). Boldness Shows hasn’t been a fantastic sire yet, but his foals seem to mature later. Secret Damscus’ only race-age sibling finished in the top three in 7 of his 9 starts at 2 last year (hasn’t raced since), which is extremely promising.

Now my massive 2yo team must show me they can earn this money back  :wink:

Considering I wasn’t intending to buy anything, I’ve come home with four purchases I’m actually pretty happy about. Total spent is $14,500, although I may still go after a fifth buy… We’ll see!

Two bigger purchases, but I still think I got them at quite a bargain.

[color=red]Cinderella Story
Highland Magic (G) (Highland Rogue (G) x Dark Magic §) x Sweet Air (B) (created)
This girl is a very cute dark grey May filly standing only 15.0 hands at the moment, so she’ll be hanging out at home for a little while. She’s by Highland Magic, who doesn’t need any introduction, and her only half-sibling is a filly by Turn N’ Burn who was a winner at 2 and hasn’t started as a 3-year-old yet. So to say I’m excited to have snagged her for only $5500 is definitely an understatement! I can’t wait to see what she can do once she gets a bit bigger.

[color=red]Folk Dance
Point Given (S) (created) x Ch. Emotional High (created)
Our most expensive purchase at $7000. She is also our most mature 2YO purchase, standing 16.3 hands and near the top of her expected height range. I admit a certain weakness for chestnuts with stars and two hind socks - my first horse was a TB gelding with those markings - and I’ve been keeping an eye out for some Point Given mares. She was definitely too perfect for me to pass by. She is her SW, MSP dam’s first foal and will be heading out for some of the early 2YO races in April.

And then there are two that I snapped up for a scant $1000 apiece.

[color=red]Miss Sookie
Dark Continent (S) (Land Ho (S) x Dark Victory §) x Grant’s Star (created)
Miss Sookie is a tiny girl standing only 13.3 hands. She was born in mid-April and definitely seems to be growing a bit slow, so she’s going to hang out at home with our yearlings and hit the track at 3. I just really like DC, and at $1000, I think I got a good deal for her! She is the first racing-age foal of her FF-owned dam.

[color=green]Beau Cheval
Silver Charm (created) x Closing Passage (B) (created)
Beau Cheval is a cute, classy little dark grey gelding standing 14.2 hands. I think he’s also going to be a slow grower, but I really wanted a Silver Charm baby, and the price was right. His dam is actually quite a bit more promising than I think she appears, with three lightly raced FF-owned foals, 2 of whom have managed wins and all of whom have hit the board pretty consistently. I’m excited for this guy! And as he’s already gelded, no agonizing over that particular decision. :wink:

I was pleased to walk away with one of my top choices.

Elgin (A.P. Indy x Colors Waving §) is the fully brother of NCh. Aptitude (stud-qualified). Old sister is SP and had a decent career. 3yo sibling was 4th in only start. Hoping the bugger’s not an expensive dud. =)

I somehow managed to win [color=red]Damascally (A.P. Indy x First Lady (G) RDC) over Marshall Creek & Vaucluse.  Love having a 1/2 sibling to GCh. Ladylove (G) who is a broodmare in our barn.  :slight_smile:

Congrats!

Added three more for $1000 a piece.

[color=red]Ruby Stilettos a small filly by Alley Cat out of Cigar’s Diva. Quite a nice pedigree and I liked the name.

[color=red]Redheaded Princess a flashy chestnut by Boldness Shows out of the created mare American Tiara. Mum was placed at Grade 1 level and set a speed record so she might have some potential.

And finally [color=blue]Dance World another one by Take Me Away out of Country Weekend who’s an AP Indy half sister to NCh Arda and the platinum ranked broodmare Italy.

Well I managed to snag 4 out of 5, of which only one isn’t black. Lol I got 1 filly and 3 colts for a grand total of $4k!!

First

[color=blue]Dagestan -a June colt All black with a little white on all four legs
By-ICh. Alley Cat (B) (Alydar (S) x Ch. Highland Dreamer §)
Out of-Genuinely Gold (B) (Created x Created)
With his sireline I thought he would be grabbed up, I really didn’t need more 2yos but he’s a June baby so I will plan on him starting later.
He’s 1/2  to ch hint of gold and ch sonatina

Next is the filly
[color=red]Julie’s Turn -a June, filly, all black  with a star and snip
By-GCh. Harvard Bound (B) (Almost Home (S) x Boston’s Best (S))
Out of-Martenne (B) (Created x Created)
A nice little project pony :slight_smile: another one who will start a little later than the rest.

And the last 2 colts
[color=blue]Risen Star -all black colt,with a right hind ermine, and another June baby
By-Ch. Rumor Has It (B) (Planet Hollywood (S) x Street Talk (S))
Out of-Our Juliet (B) (Romeo (G) x Our Auntie Mame (B))
The first one in the bunch with nice bloodlines on both sides.

And

[color=blue]Thru Traffic- a liver chestnut , feb, colt, with hind ermines and a stripe
By-Giant’s Causeway (B) (Storm Cat (B) x Created)
Out of-Western Echo (Omaha (S) x Fappie’s Echo (B)) (((gallant fox)))
Not a lot to go on here, but with all the big ,old,names in his pedigree I’m hoping for at least a nice consistent pony.

Yay for cheap ponies :smiley:

One last one to add to my haul

[color=green]Einherjar (Alley Cat X Fromdawntilldusk) 15.3 Blood Bay.
Just decided to grab him because of his name and his prospects. Hopefully he’ll run well when we get to April

Brought home 5 for a grand total of $17,000 - I’m quite happy with this (and a bit shocked).

[color=blue]LAUDRI is a 16hh chestnut son of silver-rated Point Given.  He is out of the created mare, Gaia - who had quite a successful year at 5YO, placing 1st or 2nd in 9 of 10 non-stakes starts.  Hopefully that talent passes down, and combined with Point Given’s ability to produce, make him quite the little runner.  But since mom was a late bloomer, and dad’s babies tend to wait 'til 3 to blossom, I’m not expecting a whole lot from him as a 2YO.  He may look tall, but he’s expected to reach 16.2hh at least, so he’s not quite mature.  But at $1,000, how could I say no?

[color=red]MONTALVO is another Point Given baby, and even taller than Laudri - 16.3hh!  She is a lovely dark bay, and her dam is Avan Mania - a stakes placed mare who never ran at 2, but was very successful at 3YO.  I’m hoping this means Montalvo will be early to mature & find her footing - and she is certainly in her anticipated height range.  Fingers crossed…but either way, she was a steal at only $1,000.

[color=blue]NATOMAS is a tiny 14.3hh black colt.  He is by Harvard Bound, and out of the silver-rated Whirling Diamond.  This makes him half to MSW GCh. Diamond Prospector and SW Ch. Pink Diamond.  We expect him to be a late maturer - and that sounds about right, since he is expected to hit 15.2hh at least.  A $1,000 waiting game.  :slight_smile:

[color=red]NICOLE’S MAJIC is a 15.3hh dark bay A.P. Indy daughter.  I’m excited to have an Indy youngster to start & run.  Her dam was a multi-winner, and both of her half siblings to race are winners so far.  So I think she can at least be a winner.  She is in the middle of her expected height range, so hopefully we’ll get a better idea of her capabilities soon.  She was our “big purchase” at $13,000, which I still feel is quite a steal.

[color=blue]WAR CHEST is a 14.3hh blue roan fellow.  He is sired by War Chant, who rather solidly produces winners, but has had a couple of good foals.  His dam is Ch. Beer Barrel, a multi-stakes winning mare (G1 level).  He is the first foal from this mare, so we’ll see how well she passes her talent down.  He is expected to meet 15.2hh at least, so he’s got quite a bit of growing to do yet.  And that makes sense - mom didn’t blossom until 4YO.  He’s yet another $1,000 waiting game, but I’m sure he’s worth that.