2014 2yo Auction!

I’m so excited about this auction! I’ve been strategically moving my horses around so I could win (and save) enough money to spend on this auction and still be able to spend on new races comfortably.

This will be my first time at a FF-auction that has a $100K limit (that I can recall). I’ve gone through the list a few times and made a grid of my favorite colts, but I had a few questions…

Considering that the cap is $100K, I was wondering how the bidding usually works. Do the most valuable colts usually go for the full amount (e.g. $100K) right away, or is the ceiling usually lower (say, $70-80K)? I’d like to know how much to put as my maximum for the few colts I really want, so that I don’t max out too quickly, & so that I don’t lose my opportunit(ies) either! Does more than one colt usually sell for the maximum?

It depends what horse you’re going after.

If you’re bidding on the creme of the auction then they’ll probably go for 100k or close to it.
If there’s one colt you absolutely must have and you think there will be a lot of interest then I would say put a 100k bet on him right away and be done with it.

If you want a few horses then I might pick one or two really nice colts and then I would have some back-ups because the nicer ones do tend to go for a pretty penny and you will max out your bids quicker than you think.

It also sucks when a lot of your money gets sucked up in a horse that people keep bumping the bid up on because you can’t be sure you’re going to win and you can’t use that money to bid with until you’re outbid fully or you win the horse which can take days. So be careful about that too.

The only caveat with this is the way “max bids” work (in this case, 100k). If more than one person places a 100k bid on a horse, the auction randomly picks a person of those who bid 100k and that person gets the horse. (This is to make it more fair so that it’s not just the first person online with 100k to spend who gets the horse.) So you can definitely do that if you only have one horse in mind, but bear in mind that it doesn’t necessarily guarantee you the horse, and does tie up your money until the horse gets sold.

Oooh I didn’t realize that. Good to know.

Agree with what’s already been said. I’d say if you’ve already made a list of potential purchases, have another look before the auction starts and see if you can split them into ‘‘must have’’ and simply ‘‘would like to have’’. I’ve got my eye on about six but two or three of those would probably take priority with the others as potentials if you don’t get the original choices or I end up spending less than I’ve budgeted for. Sometimes it’s easier said than done but I try to decided how much I’d be prepared to spend on each horse before the auction starts and then try not to go over that limit.  If you find you’ve got the horses you wanted but there’s still a few left at low bids or not being bid on it’s worth having another look at those as it’s sometimes possible to get a bargain if you can afford to.

I’m looking forward to the auction too. I’ve got my eye on a couple I’d put a $100k bid on straight away… :wink:

I want to bid $100,000 on a horse, but am getting the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘AND Bidder = 5 AND Horse = 7602 AND Auction = 193’ at line 2 

It’s for Light of Ceres  (finalfurlong.org/auctionbid. … horse=7602)

Fixed.

Damn you Lindsay! Hehe :wink: All in good fun…

i got that too at exactly 12:00 i stayed up all night and thought jason had beaten me , i kept getting that same exact error for that same horse. very weird

So even if it says the bid isn’t high enough, our stable is put into the bidding?  Just making sure since the names aren’t being listed and when I put in a 100k bid I get a message that says,“Your bid isn’t high enough.”  Good to go?

Edit:
Is it also okay that the bid doesn’t show on our auction watch page? 

I just want to make sure I get in the drawing for this filly because I’m getting ready to leave for work and will not have access to the internet.  If something is still screwy can I please be placed in the drawing?  ;D  Thanks all!

Me too :wink:

Hi Shanthi,

Now I’m getting a problem where it won’t let me bid $100k. It says the bid isn’t high enough to beat the other bid. But then if you try to bid $100,500 it says that this is over the auction limit.

Any chance of freezing the auction while the code is sorted out? It’s just that Shadowbrook has the lead bid on the horse a few people want and we can’t add ourselves in.

Thanks!
Jase

yeah because i couldnt get it to work i ended up bidding on other horses . but i guess im out with so many others looking to get her.

Fixed. Some of the database data was missing.

Thanks for fixing that so quickly Shanthi!  Good luck to everyone!  ;D

I thought that the Auction program only let you bid on up to 5 horses to a limit of $100,000. I see some people bidding on upwards of 10 horses or more? Yes I realize that once they hit 5 horses or $100,000 that will be it but it looks strange to see Corona and Krajina have that many bids on different horses. Just had another look and I think it’s Stormy Island Stable already has 6 horses won and Krajina has 9!!!

[u][i]2014 Annual 2yo Auction

Horse names in blue indicate that the horse is a colt/stallion.
Horse names in red indicate that the horse is a filly/mare.
Horse names in green indicate that the horse is a gelding.

Click on a column header to sort by that value.

The time is currently Jun. 13th, 2014 06:16:17
The auction starts on Jun. 12th, 2014 00:00:00
The auction ends on Jun. 26th, 2014 23:59:59

Horses will sell 12 hours after the last bid is placed, or at the close of the auction.

There is no limit on the number of horses you may buy.
You are limited to spending $100,000 total in this auction[/i][/u]

To the best of my knowledge the above are the terms of the Auction…100,000$ max… no limits on the horses you can by… It is there a the top of the Auction page for everybody to see!!! If you buy cheap horses you can buy a fair few for 100.000$…

My apologies, as it does in fact say that. I think there used to be a limit on the number as well as the dollar value… oh well… Time for more Meds… Happy bidding my friend!!!  ::)

I think there has been a limit of 5 horses on previous auctions Myles, this is certainly the first time I’ve seen a FF auction with no limit on number of horses purchased. Certainly means you can get a fair few ponies if you can get them cheap  :slight_smile: