2010 How'd Ya Do?

Now we’re in the time where a few of the horses have been sold, and it’s time to see who’s got what and what else they want!

So far I have only Galatica.  Galatica is a 4yo flea-bitten grey mare standing 15h high.  She’s by Killing Time, my all time favorite stud, and out of Starfire, who out of 3 foals to race, has one consistent winner, an MSW, and Galatica, an SP.  Galatica is a bit out of shape but I think she can earn back the $200,500 I payed for her before she dies through foals and racing.  Yay for another Killing Time daughter!

Corruption is our second and probably last auction pick.  I’m so happy to have gotten him!  Corruption is a 17h dark bay son of Sunday Silence and out of the mare Bank Robber.  Bank Robber isn’t a stellar broodmare, but she’s pretty good, and as has been said, Sunday Silence is underrated in this game.  Under FF Management this colt has won 4 of his 6 races this year, including one Ungraded Stakes.  His only bad performance could have been linked to a longer distance than he had been racing at.  I think there is definite room for improvement under actual management, and I think he will pay off his 160k price tag easily.

So far I’ve picked up 3 fillies (just what I need, I know :wink:).

I snagged Charades largely for her name.  :wink:  That aside, she’s also the 2yo daughter of Sunday Silence (who’s way underrated in the game, I think) and Showgirl (silver ranked mare).  Charades is 1/2 sister to MSW First and Only, who ran most, if not all, her races under Final Furlong colors, making her all the more impressive to me.  :slight_smile:  Given Showgirl’s other foals, we don’t have any expectations about Charades’ ability, but we figure it’ll be fun to race her and see how she does.

Next up is Double Time, who is the weanling daughter of No Duplicate and Rocket Fuel.  We’ve never owned a No Duplicate baby, so we had to snag her.  :slight_smile:  She’s also 1/2 sister to MSW Rocket Fuel (who’s earned almost a million dollars this year alone) and SP Rocket Fast, so she should be able to show some speed when she hits the track.  :slight_smile:

Last but not least is Second Fiddle, who is the yearling daughter of NCh. Devil May Care and Play On.  We’ve also never owned a Devil May Care baby, so we had to add her to our collection.  :slight_smile:  Devil May Care looks very promising as a sire, with all 3 foals to race being stakes winners.  Play On is also impressive, with a MSW and SW from 3 foals to race, all by, shall we say, less than popular sires.  :wink:  Hopefully next year Second Fiddle will prove her parents proud when she hits the track.

We’re bidding on 2 more, so we’ll see how that goes.

Won our first horse :slight_smile: YAY!

Arcane Maiden a gold ranked broodmare (1998) with 1 MSW and 1 SP out of 3 foals to race, all winners. She’s in foal to Magic Glory for a Jan baby. I’ve had my eye on her for a while, so I’m very happy with the purchase!

We’ve got bids on 4 more, so we’ll see how that goes!

Well so far so good  :wink:

Fleeting Glory - Yearling - Lonesome Glory x Lasting Impression – He’s half to my Stallion Lasting Spirit, and that’s why I wanted him. Not much of a reason I know but it’s mine ::)

Ch. Imperium - 2007 - Bold Ruler x Lost Without You – Mult. Stakes Winner, Mult. Stakes Placed – Way out of shape, but I like his record, and his breeding. I own his Dam. Do you sense a pattern here  :wink:

Ch. Special Gift - 2007 - NCh. Highland Wizard x Willing Enough – Mult. Stakes Placed – I’ve never been disappointed by a horse I’ve bught from Andrea. Oh and by the way I own her Dam’s Dam  ;D ;D ;D

Having a good auction too…

Silver Screen was our first purchase. She’s a multi-stakes winner [Gr.2] and millionaire. She’s a 5-Y-O who looks a bit over-the-hill racing-wise, but she’ll see out the season before meeting some stud for a hot date. She’s wonderfully bred being by Lucky Cigar and out of Hollywood Silver. I like Lucky Cigar as a sire and he looks like a potential broodmare sire. Her dam was stakes placed on the track and is rated platinum. Silver Screen’s half siblings include multi-stakes winners Sterling [Gr.1] and Hollywood Native [Gr.2]. Her granddam is Hollywood Queen and she is gold-rated and Reine-de-Course. Her foals include MSW Hollywood Gold [Gr.1] (dam of MSW Doc Hollywood [Gr.1] and MSP Spoils of War [Gr.3]), MSW Take Me To Hollywood [Gr.1], MSW Highland Kieran [Gr.1], MSW Sovereign [Gr.2], SW Hollywood Memories [Gr.1] (dam of MSP Hollywood Dash [Gr.1]), SP Starswept [U.] and King of Thieves [U.]. Nice family hey? I own a mare from this line already, but yeah… I love it and have wanted to get my hands on this girl for ages (just ask Shanthi).

Finest Flyer was won roughly around the same time. She’s a yearling filly. Her sire is Highland Bandit, who I think it awesome, and her dam is Falcon’s Finest, a bronze-rated broodie. Falcon’s Finest was unplaced on the track. Her foals, however, are all winners and include MSP Hollywood’s Finest [Gr.1]. It’s a pretty young damline so I’ve taken a bit of a gamble, but I really do love Highland Bandit.

Presto Slew also joins our stable. She is a 9-Y-O Seattle Slew mare out of Dark Magic, a gold-rated mare. Presto Slew was placed as a racer and she herself is rated silver being the dam of SW Kickitupanotch [Gr.2]. Her only other raced foal is a winner. Her dam, Dark Magic, is the dam of MSW Highland Magic [Gr.1], MSW Candidate [Gr.1], MSW Making Magic [Gr.1] and SW Harry Potter [U.]. Dark Magic is a gold-rated broodmare. I love Seattle Slew as a broodmare sire so hopefully Presto Slew will do well for me. She is in-foal to Spectacular Bid who is a nice, though under-rated, stud with a couple of nice broodmares and stakes winners to his name.

Art Of Magic is the fourth addition to Vaucluse Farms. She is 5-Y-O racer by Highland Pride and out of Midnight Magic. Art Of Magic is a multi-stakes winner [U.]. Highland Pride is a nice Highland Rogue son. He has a host of stakes performers to his name and hopefully he can carry on that ability in his broodmares. Midnight Magic is a silver-rated broodmare. She is the dam of MSW Must Be Magic [Gr.1]. She is also the dam of Magician’s Mystery who has foaled MSW Magic Glory [Gr.1] and MSW Rogue Magic [Gr.1]. Art Of Magic has primarily been bought as a broodmare but she will try her luck at a few more starts this year before retiring to stud.

I honestly thought I wasn’t going to get in on this auction, but once I saw Amalfi, I had to have him. He’s the son of Bold Ruler and Inconsistent Decision and half to SP Future Shot and SP Fifty Fifty. Not to mention I totally love his name, which happens to be my friend’s last name :wink:. Wither Hawk Stables has big plans for this little colt! We can’t wait to get him on the track next year. He was snagged for his reserve price of only $75,000.

I agree, I’ve taken a real liking to Sunday Silence and plan to breed one or two mares to him next year.  He’s a heck of alot nicer than people think, mostly because no one really DOES think of him :wink:

I’m glad you like this foal - especially the name! He was bred under my old stable Central Coast Lodge and the Amalfi Coast is my third favourite place in Italy after the Riviera and Venice. :slight_smile:

So far we’ve gotten 2. :slight_smile:  We’ve got 2 other bids in and we’ll probably start looking for a 5th soon (might as well go all out, right?)

NCh Get The Point ($1,000,000) - This mare’s 5, so she was bought primarily to go to the breeding shed next year.  However, she’s got a lovely record with close to 2 million in earnings out of 3 years of racing.  She’s been raced by FF this year and I can see some obvious decisions for racing her, so I’m curious to see how she does being managed again.  She’s by Point Given (Gold) and out of Well Said (Silver).  She’s also half to Clear As Crystal, another BM of ours who’s a 20pt Gold level broodmare.  Her only foal so far, NCh. Clear Effect, is a MSW with over a million in earnings.  So, this filly should prove to be a big asset in the breeding shed.

Ch. Fleet Goddess ($750,500) is out of 20pt Platinum mare Goddess of Luck (who we were bidding on as well, but we’ve decided to settle for this girl) and by NCh. Fleet Street.  She’s a MSW with wins in a G2 and Ungr. stakes this year as a 3yo.  She should be fun to run for the rest of the year and maybe through next year before retiring her to the shed.  She’s half to Indy’s Pizzazz and Lord of Luck.

So we picked up 2 more . We’re doing well this auction!

Gold rated Devil’s Wench both of her foals to race are stakes winners. :slight_smile: She’s in foal to Bold Ruler for a 2011 foal.

And

Ch. Pleasure Cruise who didn’t start racing until she was 4, missing at least part of her prime. She raced with Final Furlong and still made champion. So that speaks volumes to me.  She’s Strawberry roan, which is just a cool color and created. She’ll be resting the remainder of this year, then hitting the Breeding shed. First stop, Witness maybe.

We got our last 2.

Bitter Sweet is an 11yo mare who was MSW on the track in her day.  She won nearly a million dollars on the track and was only off the board 2 times in her 3 year career.  After racing, she went on to produce MSW Prince of Thieves and SW Sweet Starz, her only 2 foals to race to date.  She’s in foal to A.P. Indy for 2011, who is one of our favorite sires.  :slight_smile:

Sahara Desert is the 2yo daughter of Seabiscuit (silver ranked) and Amazon Princess (gold ranked).  She is 1/2 sister to MSW Crimson Princess, MSW Three of Crowns, SP Traitor, SP Indian, and SP Amazon Darkness.  Despite (or maybe because of) the fact that we own her 2 MSW sisters, we had to snag this pretty little girl.  :slight_smile:  Look for her on the track in a few weeks, once she’s settled in.

Very pleased with the surprise we found in our barn today.  As we weren’t able to be around for the first day of the auction, a proxy placed our bid for us (YAY you!!!).  The one bugger we really, really wanted was a weanling by the name of Cup o’Joe.  Not because we’re addicted to coffee by any stretch of the imagination.  Despite not exactly being FF’s Seatle Slew’s biggest fan, we were head over heels in love with his dam, I’m Yours Joe, who happens be a half sister to the Hill’s own High Chances and the dam of the horse that just recently beat High Chances–I’m Your Angel.  The yearling, a cutie by the name of Whaddaya Know Joe, will most likely be run brilliantly (I hope!) by Storybrook next year.  That bugger’s going to be brilliant, as Whaddaya is by the Highland Laird we all know and love.

So, YEAH!!!

A few more bids I put in myself.  We’ll see.  But even if I don’t get anything else, I am super happy.  Now if only I’m Yours Joe made it to auction… :-D  But that’s asking too much.

Well, we were very surprised when we won the horse we wanted the most in this auction. Very happy indeed.

Reverie is a 4yo 16.2hh chestnut gelding by Crimson Lad (S) out of Somethin’ Special (B). He is 1/2 to 2 MSWs and several SWs, all through his sire. His track record is good with 33 lifetime starts earning him 2 wins, 1 place, 1 show and 5 fourths. He came at what I think is a bargain price at $30,000 which I gather is EXTREMELY cheap for the Select Auction. That’s a fairly large chunk of change that I tore away from my budget but I think he’s worth it!

Ok so I didn’t expect to get the horse I had my eye on…-dances about- I own a Cigar Baby…ok to the big stables that might not me much for you…but this is only the middle of my second year…This is big to me!

[color=blue]Kempinski by Cigar § out of Egyptian Pharaoh (S) named for a 5 star hotel chain in the UK. 3/4’s to Akhetnaten who happens to be the sire of my snag from the previous FF auction [color=blue]Khepri. I snagged Kempinski for a sum of 250k to tell the truth i didn’t want to spend more than 150k but I always spend more then I plan on -points to Khepri- and besides i couldn’t pass a change to own a Cigar baby. -dances some more- So i’m a happy campper, now i’m just trying to snag a filly for future breeding prospects because I keep buying colts I’m swimming in an ocean of testosterone in my stables. -drowns-

Best of luck with Kempinski! Hopefully he turns out like Akhetnaten! I certainly bred him with that in mind. And you got what he was named after too which makes you extra cool. :wink: Not many people know the Kempinski chain. Some of their hotels are amazing.

our Last two hit the barn today. YAY!

First is a weanling filly, Tentatively named Slew o’ Magic. She’s out of Slew O’ Diamonds and half too MSW AP Masterpiece and SP Seattle Flash and SP Relentless. She rounds out our weanlings to 9.

and last but not least Ch. Chase the Wind ( Red wind x Arcane Maiden) She’s a nice MSW in foal to Point Given. She is her Dams best racer, and 1/2 to SP Tango Red.

I got every horse i wanted with the exception of 1 - Bitter Sweet, Good luck with her Shanthi!

:0

Bought home the fifth and final…

Dancing Girl is a 3-Y-O filly. She is by Northern Dancer, a underrated stud with a couple of nice stakes horses, and out of gold-rated mare Hey Toots. Dancing Girl is the winner of the Shuvee Handicap [Gr.2]. She will continue to race this year and, depending on how she races, will see a stallion in 2011. Dacing Girl is half-sister to MSW Call To War [Gr.1].

So anyway, we had a great auction. Expensive - we spent a total of $1,053,500 - but I’m happy. Here’s our breakdown…

Ch. Art Of Magic, 5-Y-O Racehorse, ICh. Highland Pride x Midnight Magic, Mult. Stakes Winner & Mult. Stakes Placed - $300,500
Dancing Girl, 3-Y-O Racehorse, Northern Dancer x Hey Toots, Stakes Winner, $200,500 
Finest Flyer, Yearling, WCh. Highland Bandit x Falcon’s Finest, $100,000
Ch. Silver Screen, 5-Y-O Racehorse, NCh. Lucky Cigar x Ch. Hollywood Silver, Mult. Stakes Winner & Mult. Stakes Placed & Millionaire - $250,000
Presto Slew, 9-Y-O Broodmare, Seattle Slew x Dark Magic, Placed, Silver-rated, $202,500

We managed to snag two more. 

Continental (Class Act x American Chance), we used to own her 1/2 sis, American Graffiti, but lost her in a claiming race.  We saw this as an opportunity to get ahold once again of the lines we had randomly liked so much.  An expensive chance, but one none the same.

Fool’s Gold (Black Gold x Time For Truth) is 1/2 to ICh. Witness, and two stakes placed fillies.  The most notable of Black Gold’s foals is Bright Gold (Gr. 2).  Hopefully this one will run nicely for us.

Still in the market for one or two more, but right now couldn’t be happier.  Yay bloodstock I don’t quite need!

Wow, I got one. My first Select Auction purchase. :wink:

[color=blue]Coronado is by silver-rated sire Seabiscuit, out of All Glamour. His dam was Stakes-placed on the track and through her dam Shining has several black-type siblings, the most notable of which is MSW Diamondontheinside. All of AG’s half-sisters who have retired as broodmares have produced black-type foals themselves. Coronado has only one sibling so far, Fleeting Glance, who has had only one start, so this is a very green branch so far. We’ll see if I made a wise investment in a couple of years. :wink:

We currently only bought 2 horses this time. Who knows if we may try to get some more.

CH. Spectacular Queen (Spectacular Bid x Queen of Scots) Currently a 4 year old steeplechaser. She will race out the rest of this year and go to the breeding shed next year. She is also the Eclipse Award 2009 Filly SC of the year.

CH. Blue Light (Dixiland Jazz x Shining) Broodmare prospect in foal to Worth my while. Blue light is by the late stakes producing dam Shining.