Workout Comments

Am I correct in understanding that spooking (and bolting?) Are a sign of high energy?  I had read that while searching, but I swear my starter gelding spooks nearly constantly.

Is there any kind of equipment that can help him?  I’ve tried blinkers, a shadow roll, and I think a figure 8 so I’m totally stumped!

Thanks in advance for any advice :slight_smile:

I don’t remember which is which off-hand, but spooking/bolting are signs of high energy or fitness. No equipment can help avoid it, but I think experience can help (so a brand new 2yo is more likely to spook/bolt than an experienced 4yo).

Ah well, I’ll just have to wear him down. He is 3, but he’s a starter so never raced. Hopefully he’ll straighten up soon lol

what about “your horse could carry more weight in races” comment? is this in regards to jock weight or weight of the horse (ie, too much training leads to lost weight). i have a 2 yr old who has recieved a few raring to go/doing well comments, and that was thrown in yesterday during training. Not sure how to remedy that comment beyond changing jocks, but he does well with his current jock

It’s regarding jockey weight. Nothing you can do, really, as weights get assigned based on what sort of race it is. (However, if you get comments to the effect that your horse can’t carry any weight, and s/he is a MSW, you might avoid handicap races where they’ll get assigned a higher weight based on their performance.)