Where?

Where on the east coast is a good place to stable?

i.e close to other tracks

I’d recommend Gulfstream or Aqueduct, as they have a lot of races and are fairly close to some big tracks (like Belmont, etc). 

East coast for sure. Aqueduct prob. is the best.

Aqueduct is where I am stabled and you are within a day or 2 shipping of all the east coast tracks and racing yr round.

I decided to look up all the various locations and what they have to offer…so please allow me to rank them in order of preference (in my own humble opinion, of course):

[color=green]Recommended:

It’s hard to go wrong with anywhere on the East Coast. New York is pretty much the primo spot; as has been said, you have access to year-round racing split between Aqueduct, Belmont, and Saratoga, with relatively easy access to Arlington, Woodbine, and Florida racing.

Slightly northward, you can pick from Arlington and Woodbine. Woodbine has racing from March to September, and Arlington’s season starts in May and runs to September. You can also ship down to New York to race without spending too terribly much. You also have Fort Erie to choose from, though the only races I see there is the Prince Of Wales Stakes and the Bison City Stakes, the second leg of the Canadian Triple Crown and Tiara, respectively. It’s a short jump from there to Woodbine, though.

Florida racing works out fine as well. You have Calder or Gulfstream to choose from there; Gulfstream runs from January to April, and Calder picks up in April and lasts the rest of the year.

Last but not least, you can do Australia. The racing season only take a break between April and June, which you can use to either experiment with your best runners overseas or just rest up and plan the rest of your year. There are lots of nice Stakes races down there, too.

[color=yellow]Intermediate Difficulty:

Other locations can be challenging, especially for a new stable. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them for a beginner, though I think it’s possible to do well in these spots if you’re careful.

West Coast racing can be found at Santa Anita and Del Mar. The seasons there are pretty short, but you can rest up your horses and then ship them elsewhere for a series of races. It can really be a bummer when you’ve shipped your pony all the way across the country and had them flop, though.

England and Ireland can be okay, especially if you are a fan of turf racing (the English and Irish Triple Crowns are there) or the classic steeplechasing races, the Grand National and Irish Grand National. The season is very short, though – March to July for England, and May to July for Ireland. And then you have to decide what to do with yourself, after that.

Locating at Churchill Downs or Pimlico could work. Pimlico’s season is short, running in just April and May, and races at Churchill Downs are sporadic and mostly limited to special races like the Kentucky Derby, Kentucky Oaks, and Hard Scuffle (the first leg in the SC triple crown). If you choose to ship, your closest option is Florida.

Lone Star could work…but it’s the least desirable of the intermediate locations. There’s only a handful of races there at best. Edit: As I look at it more, it’s a doable base in that it’s three or four days away from any of the American locations. I guess it’s just up to you if you want to take several days to ship your ponies back and forth (assuming you use the cheaper road option).

[color=red]Not Recommended

These other locations are mostly overseas, only host one or a few special Stakes races, and would be a complete pain to ship to and from the whole rest of the year: Dubai, France, Hong Kong, and Japan. Nice if you can visit, but you don’t want to live there.

[color=blue]Breeding

One thing that you may want to take into consideration, if you want to get involved in breeding at all, is what sorts of studs are going to be available to you. Of course, theoretically, if you do really well racing, you can ship your mares anywhere you like, or you might even be standing a stud of your own…but still, it’s something you may want to think about.

New York has lots of options there. You have Stillwater, Storybook, Morning Star, Cricket Hill, Suffolk Stables and Tall Oaks Farms all standing stallions, and darn fine ones they are, too.

Kentucky has the most breeding options. Final Furlong bases all their stallions there; you also have Edgewood Stud, Delta Ro, Battle Hill, Cirque du Soliel, Marshall Creek, and North Oak Farm’s studs to choose from…not bad at all.

Woodbine features easy access to Clover Springs, Semiahmoo, and Lochiedo Stables’ studs. You can also jaunt to (or from) Arlington, where Windward Farms is standing stallions.

California-breds can be had from Cascade Stables, Outlaws Incorporated, and Black Diamond Estates.

Australia features Secretsarebound, standing at Renegade Racing, and Strike It Rich and Prince Of Wonder, owned by Vaucluse.

And even Lone Star has its own native stud, Gone Haywire, who is standing at Sun Devil Racing.

So there you have it – the best places (in my opinion, remember!) to settle as of April, 2012. I wish you the best of luck wherever you choose to set up shop.

And, for the record, I’m Aqueduct-based. And loving it! :wink:

Uhm, Nan, ftw! This should be stickied/FAQ’d/nominated for an award. ;D That is by far the most informational post I have seen in a long time, and the best I’ve seen for location. Well done, Nan!

Thank you. :smiley: I’d been meaning to come up with something like that for a while, and finally had the time to do it.

I haven’t been online in a while, so this is a major late reaction. But I agree, Nan, that is absolutely brilliant. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!  ;D