✅ Unable to Load Pages

Description of Issue

Unable to navigate to website from desktop. Mobile is okay, which is weird, since it’s on the same network and the DNS server is the same (I turned off Cellular to make sure it wasn’t my internet.)

I’ve tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge from two different accounts and via incognito mode. I’ve updated my dns server to 8.8.8.8 and did a flush dns.

It doesn’t make sense, but it seems like the firewall/port 80 on 165.227.69.220 is closed. Which makes no sense, since I can navigate to the site on my phone. Are you running multiple servers?

I have moved things to a new server - I’ve tweaked the DNS so that might help things? (In an hour or so when it updates.)

Hmmm… So I fired up my old, slow Mac… and am able to connect via my Mac. Windows machine is still having a hard time, which (to me) points to either 1) a windows 10 thing or 2) an issue with my local Windows 10 computer.

At any rate, I have a workaround for the short term. I’d be curious if there are any other Windows folks having issues connecting. I can connect to a cached version of the forum on my windows machine, but no links worked…

I’ve also tried all these DNS servers on my windows machine, with no luck.

OpenDNS
CloudFlare
Google
Quad9

Do you have any way of seeing what types of machines active users are using? It bothers me deeply that things work on one machine and not on another coming out of the same network. Do we have any successful Windows 10 users now?

Im a Windows 10 (Google Chrome) user and have had no issues connecting since the server meltdown.

Same as Nicole. Using Windows 10 (Firefox) without issue since the meltdown. Can also access on my iPhone using Safari.

Also FYI the forum and the main site are now on different servers (and different IPs). So just because you can access one OK doesn’t mean the other one is automatic. (I’m hoping the two servers thing will stave off quite such severe future meltdowns… :crossed_fingers:)

1 Like

Issue was with the host file – I think we added the entry last time the site melted down. But, problem resolved by commenting out the entry.

2 Likes

Embarrassingly, I had the same problem when I was trying to verify that the DNS stuff had worked a couple of days ago. :wink: