Suggestions?

Of the mares that aren’t going up for lease, I have two who (still) aren’t booked because I can’t decide on studs for them. I’d like some recommendations. Max stud fee I’m willing to pay is 25k (though I might go a little higher) and the stallions can’t be in Aussieland or the UK because the shipping fee will kill me D:

[color=red]Fleet Hope is by Count Fleet-Swan’s Hope. She ran long on the turf and is multiple stakes-placed. Her first foal is a New Year’s baby by Eighteen Karat, who had a similar racing aptitude.

[color=red]Light Up Your LIfe is by Cigar-Hollywood Memories, by Forget It. I never raced her but her race record says she did okay going long on turf and over hurdles. Her first three foals are by High On Love, Eighteen Karat, and Oscillation. She has a rather nice pedigree so I might be willing to pay more for her breeding.

Joyeux Oiseau specialized in long turf and his first crop races this year. He’s a create, but he’s only 5k.

French Ruby did well at dirt sprints but very well over hurdles. He would be an interesting gamble given his rarer lines: by Lit de Justice (G) out of Ch. Ruby Slippers (G). Lit de Justice only had 24 foals, with 8 being mares and two colts counting French Ruby, but the second has been retired. Only four of those mares have foals old enough to produce a breeding rank with 3 Bronze and 1 Silver but two have produced stakes-placed offspring. Ruby Slippers is the dam of Vixen (B, dam of a SP from 2 runners), MSW Ch. Red Fox, and SP Ch. Foxy Ruby. Only Vixen has produced racing foals so far, but Ruby Slippers had 8 winners from 9 runners with 3 SP’s, 1 SW, and 2 MSW’s. Rarer lines, albeit untested, if you wanted to try a different route. He’s standing for 10k.

I’ll have to consider French Ruby for a handful of my sprinter mares next year but I don’t think his racing aptitude will match Hope and Light. Joyeux Oiseau sounds promising, though. I’ll have to think on this a bit.

If anybody else has suggestions, feel free to post them here.

Changeling was nice on turf, and is half to Candidate and Highland Magic, so he has the family too. He is 7.5K. May be good matched with Hope.

Fleet Hope has a date with Changeling but am still fussing over who to book Light Up Your Life to. The only stallion I can think of with a reasonable stud fee and a proven (if young) record is Long Live The King but he’s booked solid for the first few months and I prefer an early booking date for Light.

I tend to look at how a broodmare’s family has done & crossed well with.  For example, Light Up Your Life’s dam produced her best foal (MSW Ch. Scotch Whiskey) with Slew O’Scots, and the same sire/BM sire cross also produced the stallion, ICh. To Die For.  Slew O’Scots is retired, but has two sons standing - Edinburgh ($5k, Stillwater, NY) and Mantle of Power ($10k, Generous Bloodstock, England).  MoP would require shipping fees, but the $10k is below your $25k maximum, so maybe it’s feasible.  Edinburgh would probably be more difficult to get in with, and he has Cigar in his pedigree like your mare.

At $50k, he’s probably way out of range, but Highland Magic x a Cigar mare is the cross that produced Spock, so it might be a good consideration.

A.P. Indy x a Cigar mare produced MSW GCh. Promising.  Indy is retired, but has two sons at stud - Aptitude ($20k, England) and Golden Text ($10k, FL).

Outside of that, what are you looking for your mare to produce?  She seems to have done best at 2 & 3yo over dirt - 8 to 10f especially.  That makes her quite ideal as a producer towards, say, a Triple Crown contender someday.  :wink:

And I suppose I would be a bad stallion owner if I didn’t even mention my own boys.  I would rule out Witness simply due to both his and LUYL’s small statures.  However, V is for Victory stands a cool 17hh, is only $5k, and is in NY.  The Jazz It Up/Cigar cross would be interesting.  He also did best at 8-10f, and had most of his wins on dirt (though he did well on turf as well).  He didn’t hit his stride until midway through his 3YO season, so LUYL’s successful 2YO year might lend the future foal an earlier peak - making it potentially ready to run the TC races.

This probably explains why I bred her to Oscillation, but I forgot by the time she foaled, ha ha. Sigh, I guess I’ll just have to deal with a March booking; already have a mare booked to Edinburgh so I’ll take a shot at Golden Text.