Starfish Stables Foals - 2023

One new foal, due on Jan 30th, finally made his appearance. Mother and foal doing fine.

KNIGHT BUS
NCh. Hogwarts (B) x GCh. Knight’s Match - ICh. Chivalry
9.0h dark grey colt

67 out of 128 - 34 colts, 33 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 61 still due - 1 more due from January

Surprised the name wasn’t taken. Congrats on the healthy colt.

Our last January-due foal finally made his appearance, almost a month late. Mother and baby doing fine.

COME AWAY LADS](http://www.finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=44658)
NCh. Away The Lads (B) x Ch. Commem (G) - Omaha (G)
8.3h liver chestnut colt

1/2 brother to [color=red]GCh. Come On You Spurs[/color], [color=red]Ch. Commemorate Spurs[/color], [color=red]Ch. Hot Memories[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Spurs Ball[/color]

68 out of 128 - 35 colts, 33 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 60 still due - 1 more due in February

Lovely colt.

Great name.

Our last February-due foal made her appearance. Mother and baby doing fine.

[color=red]ANCIENT VICTORY[/color]
NCh. Worthy Victor (G) x Ancient Honour (P) - Charlemagne (G)
10.2h dark bay filly

3/4 sister to [color=blue] Satan’s Secretary[/color]
1/2 sister to [color=blue]NCh. Ancient Magic[/color], [color=red]GCh. Ancient Fire[/color], [color=blue]GCh. Ancient Warrior[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Glory Honor&Praise[/color], [color=red]Ch. Mantle of Honor[/color],

69 out of 128 - 35 colts, 34 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 59 still due - 28 due in March

You have got some really fantastic names in there - so much so that I wonder if you planned the breedings just so you could use that specific name!

Not really. While I have on the odd occasion found a name I wanted to give a foal and deliberately chosen the sire and dam combination so I could use that name, it doesn’t often happen.

I try and think of a name that includes something to do with the mares name and also the stallions name, then do a Search Horses on the most common part of the name I’ve thought of. If there is no match, or near match, then I go with that. Sometimes it is easy to decide on a name, but occasionally I have to think hard to find an appropriate name.

For example, Ancient Victory was easy. I just used part of her dams name (Ancient Honour) and her sires name (Worthy Victor). I did a Search Horses on ‘Ancient’ and was pleasantly surprised to find that Ancient Victory hadn’t already been used.

I also try and select a name for the foal as soon as the breeding has been completed, but this is harder because (a) I don’t know whether the foal will be a colt or a filly, and (b) there is always the possibility that between the time of the breeding and the birth of the foal, the name I decided on may have been snapped up, In the first case, I usually try and pick a name that is asexual and doesn’t matter what the sex of the foal is, or try to pick a name that could be changed slightly depending on the sex of the foal (e.g. if Come Away Lads had been a filly, she would have been Come Away Lasses). If the name I originally picked was snatched up, then it would be back to the drawing board.

Occasionally, when the foal is born, I might get a burst of inspiration and think of a more appropriate name. but, usually, once I’ve picked a name, I don’t actively try and think of a different name, unless the one I originally picked is not available.

Hope this helps.

Our first foal in March. Mother and baby doing fine.

[color=blue]SUPER TIME[/color]
GCh. Superdocious (B) x Double Time (B) - No Duplicate (S)
9.0h dark bay colt

1/2 brother to [color=red] Good Charlotte[/color]

70 out of 128 - 36 colts, 34 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 58 still due - 27 due in March

[color=red]HOGSMEADE ROSE[/color]
NCh. Hogsmeade (B) x GCh. DashingCoronaRose - ICh. Worth The Wait (S)
9.1h dark grey filly

71 out of 128 - 36 colts, 35 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 57 still due - 26 due in March

Nice Babies!

Four new foals to report, three born yesterday and one overnight. All mothers and babies doing fine:-

Born on March 3rd
[color=red]HOGWARTS ENDEAVOR[/color]
NCh. Hogwarts (B) x GCh. Decisive Endevor (G) - GCh. Simply Heroic (S)
8.1h black filly

3/4 sister to [color=red]Ch. Glorious Endeavor[/color]
1/2 sister to [color=blue]GCh. Epiphany[/color], [color=red]Ch. Worthy Endeavor[/color],

[color=blue]HOGSMEADE MOUNTAIN[/color]
NCh. Hogsmeade (B) x Ch. Hymettus (G) - Whirlaway (G)
8.0h dark grey colt

1/2 brother to [color=red]GCh. Spur Mountain[/color], [color=red]Ch. Mountain’s Glory[/color], [color=red]Ch. BlueMountainCoffee[/color]

[color=blue]NICOLAS FLAMEL[/color]
NCh. LiveLong&Prosper x Ch. Wizardly Lady (B) - NCh. Highland Wizard (S)
8.3h black colt

1/2 brother to [color=blue] Druidstone[/color]

Born on March 4th
[color=blue]STEREO VICTOR[/color]
NCh. Worthy Victor (G) x Ch. Stereotype (G) - Secretariat (S)
8.3h chestnut colt

Full brother to [color=blue] Worthy Image[/color] (2019)
1/2 brother to [color=red]GCh. Crazy Shades[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Matching Strides[/color]

75 out of 128 - 39 colts, 36 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 53 still due - 22 due in March

Three new foals. All mothers and babies doing fine.

[color=red]GANG OF DEMONS[/color]
NCh. Gang of Thieves x Ch. Coco Diablo (G) - NCh. Highland Wizard (S)
8.2h dark grey filly

1/2 sister to [color=red]GCh. Devil’s Flight[/color], [color=blue]GCh. Golden Idol[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Kilamanjaro[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Coco Major[/color], [color=blue] Coco’s Flight[/color]

[color=blue]DELIVERY STREAK[/color]
NCh. Lucky Streak (S) x Ch. Deliverance - GCh. Major’s Flight (B)
8.3h strawberry roan colt

[color=red]SILVER NAVY[/color]
NCh. In The Navy (S) x Ch. Silver Dreams - NCh. Silver Wizard
8.2h grey filly

3/4 sister to [color=blue] Dream in Navy[/color]

78 out of 128 - 40 colts, 38 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 50 still due - 19 due in March

And four more. All mothers and babies doing fine.

[color=blue]FINAL DAWN[/color]
NCh. Last For More (B) x GCh. Big Dawn (G) - Ch. Rumor Has It (G)
9.1h bay colt

Full brother to [color=red] Dawn at Last[/color] (2022)
1/2 brother to [color=red]Ch. Dawn of the Navy[/color], [color=red]Ch. Naval Dawn[/color]

[color=red]CAILíN AERACH[/color]
WCh. Sionnach x GCh. Kinda Flighty - GCh. Major’s Flight (B)
9.3h dark grey filly

Full sister to [color=red] Aer Lingus[/color] (2022)

Cailín Aerach is Irish for Flighty Girl.

[color=blue]SARGASSO CASTLE[/color]
NCh. Straticus x NCh. Sargasso - ICh. Spock
9.2h grey colt

[color=red]FIRST ON THE BEACH[/color]
ICh. First Born Son (S) x Ch. White Sand Beach (S) - Almost Home (S)
9.1h liver chestnut filly

3/4 sister to [color=red]Ch. Back to First[/color]
1/2 sister to [color=blue] Victor’s Sands[/color]

82 out of 128 - 42 colts, 40 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 46 still due - 15 due in March

Two more overnight, both colts. Colts now lead by 4. All mothers and babies doing fine.

[color=blue]SPONSORED DOVE[/color]
WCh. Sponsored x Ch. Paloma - NCh. Highland Wizard (S)
9.2h bay colt

[color=blue]ANCIENT DREAMS[/color]
NCh. Ancient Magic x Wonderful Dreams (P) - NCh. KC Wonder Boy (G)
9.0h bay colt

1/2 brother to [color=red]NCh. Office Hours[/color], [color=red]GCh. DreamALilDream[/color], [color=red]Ch. Dream of Wembley[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Perfect Speed[/color], [color=red]Ch. Born to Dream[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Hidden Cove[/color], [color=green] Déjà Vu[/color], [color=blue] Jesus of Nazareth[/color]

84 out of 128 - 44 colts, 40 fillies, 4 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 1 retired mare - 44 still due - 13 due in March

love the names!

Love the name Ancient Dreams. He looks like one to watch out for in the near future.

We had everything last night. 6 Foals, one Stillborn & 2 mares Retired.

[color=blue]VICTORIOUS GANG[/color]
NCh. Gang of Thieves x Hail to Victory (S) - ICh. Magic Glory (S)
9.2h dapple grey colt

1/2 brother to [color=blue]Ch. Dif-tor Heh Smusma[/color], [color=red] GrdCtrltoMajorTom[/color]

[color=red]TONG[/color]
NCh. Gang of Thieves x Ch. Secret Society (G) - NCh. Secretary (S)
8.3h dapple grey filly

Tong is a Chinese secret society, often associated with criminals.

1/2 sister to [color=blue]Ch. Power of Secrets[/color], [color=green]Ch. Oxford Union[/color], [color=blue]GCh. The Pink Panther[/color], [color=red]Ch. Blue Secret[/color], [color=red]Ch. Secret Victor[/color]

[color=blue]NAVY SUNSET[/color]
NCh. In The Navy (S) x Ch. Sunset Girl (G) - Red Sunset (S)
8.2h flea-bitten grey colt

1/2 brother to [color=blue]NCh. Sunset Flight[/color], [color=red]GCh. What’s That Girl[/color], [color=red]Ch. Girl in Flight[/color], [color=red] Major Sunset[/color]

[color=blue]MAGICIAN’S FROLIC[/color]
NCh. Ancient Magic x Alydar’s Frolic (S) - Alydar (S)
9.0h black colt

3/4 brother to [color=blue]GCh. Alydar’s Glory[/color]
1/2 brother to [color=red]Ch. Shebreakstherules[/color], [color=red]Ch. Giant’s Frolic[/color], [color=blue] Lord Alydar[/color]

[color=red]WHIRLING CASTLE[/color]
NCh. Straticus x Whirlagirl (S) - Whirlaway (G)
8.2h chestnut filly

1/2 sister to [color=blue]Ch. Crystal Whirl[/color], [color=red]Ch. Lucky’s Girl[/color], [color=red]Ch. Helicopter Flight[/color], [color=red]Ch. Stereotype[/color], [color=blue] Streak of Luck[/color], [color=red] Small Town Gal[/color]

Stillborn colt
NCh. Away The Lads (B) x Poltergeist (G) - GCh. My Lucky Day (S)
1/2 brother to [color=red]GCh. Dior[/color], [color=blue]Ch. Local Haunt[/color], [color=blue] I’ve Arrived[/color]

Unfortunately, both Alydar’s Frolic and Whirlagirl had difficult deliveries and we felt that it would be best to retire them.

Alydar’s Frolic was a 16 year old mare by Alydar out of Slew o’ Frolics. Her racing career was nothing spectacular. She seemed to like being a bridesmaid, finishing 2nd in 6 of her 10 races. As a broodmare, she produced 10 foals (one Stillborn), 7 of which have raced. Of those 7, she produced 5 winners, including 2 MSW’s and 1 Millionaire. Her progeny had average earnings of almost $465K. Alydar’s Frolic ended up with a Silver Ranking (3.4).

Whirlagirl was a 21 year old mare by Whirlaway out of Sunset Beauty, making her a half-sister to our Retired Stallion, Tottenham Hotspur. She was unraced. As a broodmare, she produced 17 foals (one Stillborn), 13 of which have raced. Of those 13, she produced 12 winners, including 3 SW’s, 2 of which were MSW’s. Her progeny had average earnings of just over $200K. Whirlagirl ended up with a Silver Ranking (3.3) and was a Reine-de-Course (I/C).

Alydar’s Frolic & Whirlagirl both had Apr 2 breedings to Calle de Oro and Hogwarts, which means that those slots have reopened, if anybody is interested

90 out of 128 - 48 colts, 42 fillies, 5 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 3 retired mare - 38 still due - 7 due in March

Sorry about your stillborn.

Lovely foals, especially Magician’s Frolic.

3 more overnight. Mothers and babies doing fine.

[color=blue]GOLDEN JITTERS[/color]
ICh. Calle de Oro x GCh. Last Nights Jitter (S) - GCh. Major’s Flight (B)
8.3h bay colt

1/2 brother to [color=red]Ch. Last Raven[/color]

[color=red]LUCKY CRYSTAL[/color]
NCh. Lucky Streak (S) x Magic Crystal (G) - Magic Man (S)
8.2h strawberry roan filly

1/2 sister to [color=red]GCh. Crystal Warrior[/color], [color=red]Ch. Pureblood[/color], [color=blue]GCh. Magical Debate[/color], [color=red]Ch. Best Crystal[/color], [color=green] Born Too Soon[/color]

[color=blue]STREET OF TWINS[/color]
ICh. Calle de Oro x GCh. Mirror Twin - GCh. Harvard Bound (B)
8.1h black colt

93 out of 128 - 50 colts, 43 fillies, 5 stillborn, 2 deceased mares, 3 retired mares - 35 still due - 4 due in March