Stallion Spotlight June I: Silver Wizard

RL has been really busy this month, so Willa may or may not hit you with a second Spotlight. We are calling this the first spotlight and if we have a second, yay! If not, we will return to our usual 1st/15th postings in June.

[align=center][color=green]Stallion Spotlight: [color=black] May I

NCh. Silver Wizard
2009 gray Thoroughbred stallion, 17.0hh
NCh. Highland Wizard x Silver Wind
[view][/align]

CAREER
Bred by Final Furlong, Silver Wizard was first purchased by Lochiedo Stables as a 2yo, then sold to The Grey Stable when his oldest crop turned three, and Denoux Stables purchased him in March of last year. On the track he won the G1 Santa Anita Derby, G2 Planet Hollywood Breeders’ Stakes, G2 Phar Lap Stakes, and G3 events Cadbury Tasmanian Derby, Queen’s Cup, and Secretariat Breeders’ Stakes. He hit the board in the G1 Arlington Classic, Doncaster Handicap, Cigar Breeders’ Stakes, and Highland Bandit Breeders’ Stakes. He scored stakes races at every distance, with most of his earnings coming at the classic distance with 66% OTB, but he also averaged a 65% OTB at sprints. He won over $1 million on both turf and dirt, with his best year coming at three.

During his career he beat stallions Dark Demand, Conflagration, and Sixth Day.

INJURY HISTORY
After four seasons on the track, Silver Wizard retired completely sound.

LINEAGE
His sire, HIGHLAND WIZARD, had 164 foals, 55 stakes winners and 27 MSW’s including NCh. Celtic Foxx, NCh. Sacred Hill (dam of stallion ICh. City Upon A Hill), NCh. Banner Raised, GCh. Strike Your Fancy, GCh. Spell Breaker, GCh. Caledonian, GCh. Lady Fae, and G1 Dubai World Cup winner Ch. Touch of Magic. Highland Wizard has produced platinum-ranked Ch. Coco Diablo, 3 gold-ranked daughters, 4 silver-ranked, and 19 bronze. Silver Wizard is the only direct son of Highland Wizard to stand at stud.

His dam SILVER WIND, produced 12 foals, 10 winners, and 3 stakes winners. In additional to Silver Wizard, she also produced MSW Ch. Wingsonmyhooves (Bronze). Her other winners include SW Ch. A.P. Silver Stars (Bronze), SP’s Mountain Air (Bronze) and Ch. Run For Silver. She also produced multi-winner Cool Breeze, a gold-ranked mare and dam of MSW/multi-millionaire GCh. Undercover Agent. Her only non-winners are FF-owned, and one is retired.

SIRE RECORD
At the time of this post, Silver Wizard is BRONZE ranked with his oldest foals being seven. Silver Wizard has sired 8 crops with 56% starters, 47% winners, and 11% stakes winners. He has sired 3 MSW’s, including 1 millionaire.

Out of 68 current stallions w/ started offspring:

• 36th in highest winning percentage of offspring
  • 19th in offspring earnings
  • 35th in highest G1-placed offspring
  • 15th in highest G1-winning offspring

Leading Earners

Foals for Thought
Looking at his 3 MSW’s and all 13 SW foals, almost all had their best year at 3, with a few excelling at 3 and 4 and one foal hitting their best at two. Vast majority have performed best at sprint distances, with 10 of the 13 having majority sprint OTB placings. Of the 13, 5 have stretched to middle distance with 50% or higher OTB, and 3 at long distance. While over half have done their best on the turf, he does have stakes winners on the dirt and at steeplechase. His best SC offspring seem to mature the latest, hitting their best stride at 4 and 5.

Only 3 of his 13 SW foals have suffered injuries: 2 cases of limping, 1 case of swelling, and 1 with a cut.

His three MSW foals were out of a create mare, an Oscillation mare, and a Fire ‘n’ Smoke mare. Created mares or other Highland-lined daughters made up the majority of his other stakes winning offspring–especially Highland Magic and Highland Bandit. He has also crossed well with daughters of Heza Gallant Gent, Void, Boldness Shows, and Captain Jack.

[align=center]* * *

Silver Wizard currently stands in New York at Denoux Stud for $5,000

He is NOT BC nominated and he does not require approval to breed to.
Please share your own foals and successful crosses below.[/align]

I bred one mare to Silver Wizard, for a 3x3 inbreeding to Highland Sorceress. [color=red]Vainilla seemed to have her best year as a 3yo. Highland Sorceress was unraced, but she was a Platinum ranked broodmare.

Yay! Thanks for highlighting my guy <3

We have lots of Silver Wizard babies because I keep scooping them up so they stay active. On the track we have a couple 2yos all out of silver ranked mares, so I’m excited to see how those do.

I’m really excited that The Grey Stable sold me a yearling out of Blarneystone Lane, Kissonthelips.

I currently have two Silver Wizard babies in the barn. 3YO [color=blue]Free Haven, who just recently joined the crew, seems to be considering the meaning of running. He placed 4th in his first race with us. He doesn’t seem to show a preference for dirt over turf or vise versa, but we’ll see how he does as he matures.

I have a yearling and a pair of 2yo’s: one is unplaced in 2 starts, but the other is 2: 1-0-1-0 this year. I also own 6yo Silver Cat who had done great after switching to SC with a G2 placing.