Stakes Picks for 11/19

Stakes Picks:

Today I traveled from Aqueduct to Australia to bring you the Stakes picks for Saturdays race day. Obviously I could not be in both places at the same time so my assistant, Kate stayed at Aqueduct and I traveled to Australia. Lovely land and absolutely beautiful horses.

For the first race on the card Kate has stood on the rail this morning to watch the horses entered in Race #46 Fall Highweight Stakes a 6.5f on dirt for 3yo+ $100,000 purse 14 entered to run.

Kate watched the morning workouts and sent me this for this race.

First Rock of Truth impressed Kate. A big 3 yo filly standing 16.1h. Owned by Starfish Stables. A daughter of the FF Stallion Rock of Gibraltar. This filly had a good 2 yo year with 4 wins, 3 of them stakes. This year she has been on fire 10 outings and hitting the board 8 out of 10 times with 3 stakes wins. She holds a speed record at 12.0f and has won from 6.0f to 12.0f with the Classic distance more to her liking. She has what it takes to beat the boys.

Her sire Rock of Gibraltar is Silver Ranked and has 5 foal crops on the ground with 60% winners 7 of those Stakes winners and 3 of those Multi Stakes winners he’s one of the Real life stallions brought into FF for new bloodlines.

Her Dam, Confession (War Admiral (S)), owned by Starfish Stables, is gold ranked and could possibly be a black type broodmare. Rock of Truth is her first filly and fourth foal.

Second War Chest put in an impressive workout. a 4 yo owned by Ivy Creek Farm and leased by Lochiedo Stables. A 15.3h son of the FF stallion War Chant. War Chest was not raced as a 2 yo, however his 3 yo year was where he shined. out 8 time with 6 wins and 3 stakes wins on both dirt and grass. This year he has been raced lightly with 4 stakes wins out of 5 outings.

His sire, War Chant a Bronze ranked FF stallion, is now retired. With 8 foal crops on the ground, 55% are winners with 10 stakes winners and 6 Multi Stakes winners. another of the real life stallions brought into FF for diversity of bloodlines.

His dam, Beer Barrel (created) Owned by FF, is herself a G1 winner. A sliver ranked broodmare War Chest is her first foal.

Third is Zadar. Kate said he put in a very impressive workout this morning. A 4 yo owned by Ivy Creek Farm. A 15.2h son of What’s Your Point, had a rather lack luster start as a 2 yo. he came on strong as a 3 yo.with a speed record at 7.0f and 4 stakes wins. He’s been raced lightly this year with only 4 outings but has hit the board on every outing.

His sire, What’s Your Point a Gold Ranked son of Point Given (S/S) Chef-de-Race (I), with only six foal crops on the ground with 72% winners, of those 12 are Stakes winners and 6 are Multi Stakes winners. Retired early this year with only 4 foals due in 2019, his retirement is a great loss to the FF breeding pool.Owned by Semiahoo Stables he had an impressive race career, winning 13 stakes races. with a speed record at 5.0f on the grass.

His Dam, Adriatic Swan (created) owned by Clicker Lab, a Gold Ranked broodmare could possibly be a Black Type producer. Zadar is her first foal.

For the second stakes race of the day again Kate watched the morning workouts of the horses entered in Race #47 Top Flight Stakes G2 7.5f on grass for 3yo+ F/M $150,00 purse 14 entered to run.

First Kate could not praise this mare higher. Fightin' The Smoke, a 5 yo owned by Cirque Du Soleil Stables. A 16,3h daughter of Nightfight, she has had an impressive race career. Spaning 4 years with 12 stakes wins, she has not sparked well this year, but is looking god for this race. We can't wait to see what she will produce in the future.

Her sire Nightfight owned by Cirque Du Soleil Stables, one of the oldest farms in FF, Nightfight, sired by The Black (G/S) Chef-de-Race (I) is himself a phenomenal Race horse winning 12 G1 stakes races, holding 5 speed records and 2015 Eclipse Sire of the Year. As a sire he has 6 foal crops on the ground, with 85% winners, 39 stakes winners and 25 multi-stakes winners.

her dam Smokin' (Cigar (G)) owned by Cirque Du Soliel Stables, a Platinum Ranked mare can be considered a Black Type broodmare. Herself a Muli Grade 1 Stakes winner, and holder of a speed record at 8.5f on dirt. Fightin' The Smoke is her first foal.

Second Kate was impressed with Hilton Flyin High, a 3 yo owned by Generous Bloodstock. A 16.1h daughter of Worth My While, she was not raced as a 2 yo, and only run 7 times as a 3 yo. She has hit the board in all her outings including 1 stakes race. she could be the upset horse in thie race. she is a full sister to the Mulit. Stakes Winner Flyby.

Her sire Worth My While owned by Clover Springs Stables, sired by What's It Worth (P.S) Chef-de-Race (I/C), Worth My While was retired in 2014 and has 10 foal crops on the ground with 86% winners, 23 are Stakes winners and of those 19 Multi Stakes winners. Gold Ranked and a Silver Ranked broodmare sire he is also Chef-de-Race (B/I)

Her dam, Fire Flyer (created), owned by FF. She is silver ranked with 11 winners out 11 to hit the tracks. Hilton Flyin High is her last filly.

Third Kate just loved the way this mare moved. Considered a long shot Pan American had a stellar workout today. A 4 yo owned by Clicker Lab. this 16.3h daughter of Go For Dash was not raced before this year. With only 7 outings she has hit the board every time out. with 3 allowance wins. this is her first effort in a stakes race she may upset the whole field.

Her sire, Go For Dash last owned by Far Away Racing, is a Silver Ranked sire and Bronze Ranked broodmare sire, was himself a Multi Stakes winner, One of the created real life horses he passed away in 2014. With 12 foal crops on the ground 93% are winners with 12 of those being Stakes winners and of those 3 are Multi. Stakes winners.

Her Dam, Cheatin' Heart (Crimson Lad (S/S) Chef-de-Race (I) Holds three speed records on grass. Deceased in 2017 Pan American is her only filly.

4 am comes way to soon, but I roused myself out so I could get to the track to watch the morning workouts in Australia.

Race #48 Marsh Classic a G2 8.0f on grass for 3 yo+ F/M $150,000 purse 10 entered to run.

First I could not escape seeing this large mare, Singsong, a 4 yo owned by Ivy Creek Farm. A 17.0h daughter of Rahy. With a fairly good 2 you year she was not tried in a Stake until her 3 yo year where she gained a speed record on 10.0f on dirt. Having run on grass and dirt this mare has done best on the grass. Still one to watch.

Her sire, Rahy a Silver Ranked real life stallion brought in to add to the FF gene pool. retired in 2014, he has 5 foal crops on the ground with 78% winners, of those 18 Stakes winners and 10 of those Multi. Stakes winners. Rahy has been a sire of mostly truf runners.

Her dam, Keria Toon (created) owned by Clover Springs Stables, a Gold Ranked dam. Herself a Stakes winner, is well on her way to being a Black Type broodmare. Singsong is her first foal.

As I watched the horse during the workouts a stunning filly caught my eye and her workout was stellar. Polished is a 3 yo owned by Stillwater Farms. A 16.1h daughter of Highland Wizard, very lightly raced her 2 yo year didn’t find her wanting to run, however as a 3yo she has won 5 of her 7 outings the last one being the G1 Australian Oaks. This filly will be one to keep an eye on.

Her sire, Highland Wizard, a Silver Ranked sire and Gold Ranked Broodmare sire also Chef-de-Race (B/I) owned by Stillwater Farms and sire by What’s It Worth (P/S) Chef-de-Race (I/C), Highland Wizard is a Multi Stakes winner with 3 speed records and Eclipse award winner in 2004 for Steeplechase Colt and in 2015 as Sire of the Year. Retired the end of 2015 he has 11 foal crops on the ground with 89% winners of those 47 are Stakes winners and 21 of those Multi Stakes wins.

Her Dam, Hollywood Silver (Created), last owned by Stillwater Farms was a Multi Placed Stakes runner. Gold Ranked Black Type producer. 13 of her 13 that have raced are winners, with 9 of the Stakes winners and 4 Multi Stakes winners. Hollywood Silver passed in November of this year with 2 foals yet to race.

Third is Red Alycatta, a 4 yo owned by Gintara Lodge. a 16.1h daughter od Ally Cat, she has been 2nd in 5 of the 6 outing this year, she could easily upset this field. A G1 Stakes winner and holder of a speed record on grass.

Her sire, Alley Cat, a Bronze Ranked sire owned by Integrity Racing and sired by Alydar (S/S) Chef-de-Race (I) was a Multi G1 Stakes winner, holding 9 speed records on grass winning the 2008 4 yo+ Turf Breeders’ Series and 2008 Eclipse Turf Horse of the Year. retired in late 2018 he has 9 foal crops on the ground with 65% winners of which 17 are Stakes winners and 7 are Multi Stakes winners, with 2 foal crops yet to hit the track.

Her dam, Oakley (Twin Oaks (S/B)) owned by Fox Run, is a Silver Ranked broodmare. Red Alycatta is her second Stakes winning foal.

The next Stakes race in Australia is Race #49 Grand Prix Stakes a G2 11.0f on grass for 3 yo's $300,000 purse 10 entered to run.

The first to catch my attention is Olympic Torch, a 3 yo colt owned by Ivy Creek and leased by Lochiedo Stables. a 17.0h son of Worth My While, he is a Multi Stakes winner and holds 2 speed records on dirt and grass. 

His sire, Worth My While owned by Clover Springs Stables is mentioned in one of the above races.

Her dam, Olympic Gold (created) owned by Ivy Creek Farm, is a Silver Ranked broodmare, both foals to race so far are winners. Olympic Torch is her first foal.

Second we are looking at Malibu Express, a 3 yo colt owned by Renegade Racing and Breeding. A 15.3h son of Express Yourself, a Stakes winner, this colt has the ability to take this race.

His sire, Express Yourself, a Gold Ranked sire owned by Renegade Racing and Breeding and sired by What's It Worth (P/S) Chef-de-Race (I/C), Express Yourself had a phenomenal race career spanning 5 seasons, a 11 times G1 winner and holder of 4 speed records on grass, also in 2011 a four times Eclipse Award winner with 3 yo Colt, Endurance Horse, Turf Horse and Horse of the Year. With 3 foal crops on the ground he has 73% winners with 9 of those Stakes winners and 5 Multi Stakes winners. Express yourself is a Junior sire.

His dam, Malibu (created) owned by Renegade Racing and Breeding, is a Silver Ranked broodmare. Herself a 6 times G1 Stakes winner and holder of 2 speed records on grass. Malibue Express is her first foal.

Third we watched Rising Flame, a 3 yo colt owned by Renegade Racing and Breeding. A 16.3h son of Express Yourself. He's Stakes Placed and could give stable mate Malibu Express a run.

His sire (see Malibu Express)

His dam, Press Your Luck (Lucky Cigar (G/S) Chef-de-Race (I) owned by Renegade Racing and Breeding, is a Silver Ranked broodmare. She herself holds a speed record on grass. Rising Flame is her first foal.

As I watched the morning workouts the horses running in the last race on Saturday started making a show

For Race #50 Goodwin Handicap G1 6.0f on grass for 3 yo+ $300,000 purse 10 entered to run.

First is Pistolwhip a 3 yo colt owned by Ivy Creek Farm and leased to Starfish Stables. a 16.0h son of Gunningdownromance, a stakes winner with a speed record on grass.One of only two 3 yo’s running against a field of older horses. We think he could be the surprise in this race.

His sire, Gunningdownromance, a Silver Ranked sire owned by Stillwater Farms and sired by What’s It Worth (P/S) Chef-de-Race (I/C). Gunningdownromance had a very good career on the track the winner of 10 G1 Stakes races including the Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes and Breeders’ Cup Classic 2x. Holding one speed record on dirt. With 6 foal crops on the ground 84% are winners, of those 12 are Stakes winners and of those 6 are Multi Stakes winners.

His dam, Keria Toon (check out Singsong above). Pistolwhip is her second foal and second Stakes winner.

Second we noticed Melkotians, a 3 yo colt owned by Littlefield. A 15.0h son of A.P. Indy, a stakes winner and the other 3 yo in this race.

His sire A.P. Indy  is one of the premier senior stallions standing in the FF stables. Sired by Seattle Slew (S/G) Chef-de-Race (I) and Silver Ranked both as a sire and broodmare sire, he is also Chef-de-Race (B/I). Sire of 16 foal crops with 85% winners, 61 stakes winners and 33 Multi stakes winners.

His Dam, Moonlight Magic (Must Be Magic (S/S) owned by The Grey Stable is a Silver Ranked broodmare herself a Stakes winner and speed record holder on grass. Both foals to race so far have been winners. Malkotians is her first foal.

Third is Fly To Heaven a 5 yo mare owned by Gintara Lodge. A 15.3h daughter of High Chances. She is a Multi. Stakes winner with a speed record on grass. The only mare in this race, she may show the boys how it’s done.

Her sire, High Chances, a Gold Ranked sire owned by Cricket Hill and sired by Highland Laird (S/S) Chef-de-Race (B/I). High Chances raced for a total of six seasons garnering 29 stakes wins, 5 speed records on dirt and 4 Eclipse Awards 2008 Sprinter, 2009 Sprinter, 2010 Sprinter and Older Horse and in 2017 Sire of the year. High Chances is now proving himself in the breeding shed.

His dam, Sunbird (Sunday Silence (S/B) Chef-de-Race (I)) owned by Stillwater Farms is a Gold Ranked broodmare,herself a Multi Stakes winner and a Black Type producer. Fly To Heaven is her third foal.

Nice, interesting analysis. :slight_smile:

Wow, impressive! What a wonderful addition to our newspaper. :slight_smile:

Really interesting!

Enjoyed the write ups :slight_smile:

I should add a disclaimer: this is all based on reviewing past performance and the abilities of the Sire and Dam. I am by no means a handicapper. Also this is my own choices for those races and written up purely for enjoyment and entertainment. Also given the research on sire and dam some people may not know.

Hope you all enjoy this.

Yes, definitely. I do have one suggestion. It might be more more interesting to do a results write-up instead of a pre-race write up. Something to give the races a 3rd dimension on how they went and a blurb about the top 3 or 4 finishers.  That way you can give the horses who did well the deserved plugs and the ones who “should have done well” and interesting story behind the performance. Like a more interesting/in-depth play-by-play. :slight_smile: Just my two cents! Sometimes its not worth much!!! :slight_smile:)))

I like Holly’s suggestion and think it will make your task easier. Instead of you having to look through all the Stakes races and trying to pick the top three then do your reports on them, this way the top 3-4 will already be “picked out” for you and can go on from there.

Anyway, go work on the reports so far. One suggestion if you decide to stick to the format you’ve done so far. Perhaps you could do a summary of your picks for these races at the end of the report.

Thanks for the input. I will give this some thought and see what I come up with. I like the idea of play by play of the race already run.

It would be most interesting if you did it before and after the races… :wink: but too much work I guess.

Oh dear yes. A before and after would indeed be a world of work. Imagine  bif stakes day like Breeders’ Cup when nearly a third of the card is stakes, you’d need to start a week early and end a week late. With the holidays upon us I’m going to be rather busy, so may have to pick up this endeavor after Thanksgiving, and then maybe do a test run on a couple of meets and see where everyone is on this before we head into the Christmas Holidays.