Selling Injured Horses

Not to pick on the Bluberi Horse Two, but this isn’t the first time I have seen an injured horse put up for sale (just overheated). The problem is, that it is almost impossible for a buyer to figure that out, unless you go through its race history (unless I am missing something which is highly possible). It would be great if the for sale page listed the most recent injury.

If you click on “View Highlights” on a horse’s page, it will tell you their injury history.

And for the record, I believe overheating is one of the more severe injuries in the game :wink:

I figured Overheating was a minor injury. Thank you very much for the info Andrea. If it is possible, would you or Shanthi be kind enough to list all injuries and their level of severity?

I’m doing this off the top of my head, so this isn’t guaranteed to be correct.

Cut
Heat
Limping
Swelling
Overheating
Bowed Tendon
Broken Leg
Heart Attack (insteat death)

That’s roughly in order of severity, though don’t hold me to that. As I’ve said before, think of how much rest you’d need if you did any of the above.

I’ve been sort of curious about that, too. When I think of ‘overheating’ I think of an athlete with heat exhaustion that needs some rest in the shade and lots of fluids…not sure if it translates that way to horses, though. :slight_smile:

That’s true, but it’s a bit more major than that. Racehorses normally need 1-3 weeks off from a race, but if they overheat, they probably need another 2-3 weeks on top of that to regain muscle tone after resting and regaining their energy…which is a bit more “severe” than just lying in the shade and sipping gatorade.

Thank you very much. :smiley: This will be very useful information.

Well, in horses that usually ends up meaning they “tie up” (massive back spasm/leg cramps) to the point that they can’t really walk even. So you have to get their fluid balance back and then work them back into injury. Racehorses typically don’t do well if they even miss a day or two of training. So you figure maybe a week’s rest and then 3 weeks to get them back in shape.

But back to the original post/issue… Throwing a horse up for sale as soon as it gets injured isn’t very classy. I don’t know for sure that the injury played a role in the decision to sell, but typically I’d say knock 5-10k off for an injured horse :wink:

Now I’m curious. THe one time I saw a horse get overheated (Not a racehorse, mind), the trainer moved the animal to the nearest available shade and gave it a warm bran mash. It was fine, and recovered within a matter of days, so I thought overheating was pretty minor. Maybe it means something different in the racing world?

Maybe, maybe not. :wink: I mainly just picked fairly common-sounding injuries and tried to pick semi-reasonable recovery times for them…overheating, to me, sounds worse than a cut. (By “cut” I envision a slight gash, not a gushing artery or anything.)

Well, we’re also not talking ‘fine to run a race’. We’re talking ‘fine to do low level hunter jumper’, which /is/ a bit of a difference in athletic requirements.

I’ve got a real example of a racehorse overheating (from my work). His case was fairly severe. He barely finished the race, had lots of trouble breathing afterwords. They brought him back to the stable area via horse ambulance because he couldn’t walk properly. The vet gave him something (not positive what) which helped him to regain himself. That said he hasn’t raced again and he overheated 2 months ago… He’s still not ready to race again because of it

Yeah, that’s more of what I had in mind as far as the concept of a racehorse overheating.

yeah… overheating’s bad bad news… This is kinda related: Have any of you read the book, Blessed are the Broodmares? She makes a great point that I think translates over. Horses and Women are delicate. Especially, TBs…:wink:

lol… horse’s sipping gatorade… :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know about gatorade, but my first horse used to be obsessed with nacho cheesy doritos :lol: If I ever came to the barn with some she’d nicker and pace until I got close enough for her to steal them.

My horse dosen’t like gatorade…i trided to give him some once because he was curious about it…but he Likes Plain Dougnuts…>> we were at Equestrian Team State Champ Shows, and it was a few days before halloween, and so we had hot apple cider, and dougnuts in our tack stall…i was standing in the door of my horses stall, and a look behind me to see who had called my name, and before i looked back at my horse…the dougnut in my hand was gone and he was slurping from my apple cider ;-;