RIP Dark Demand

RIP NCh. Dark Demand

As I rushed out the door Wed. morning, I was running behind for my Chemo appt. as I went by the retired stallion barn a groom came running out flagging me down. Seems Demand had colicked and was down thrashing. I hopped out of the truck to assess the situation, The Vet had already been called and I knew I could not stay. The stud manager with the help of a few grooms got him up and began walking him. Everything I needed to do had been done, so I headed out to my treatment.

Once the vet had come it was decided he had colic and could have possibly twisted a gut. Demand was loaded on the trailer and rushed to the New Bolton Center (Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine). Ex rays showed that he had twisted his intestine and was prepped for surgery (His second for colic). My stud manager (Donald Baker) kept me aprised of the situation. I got the call as I was being driven home that Damand did not make it through surgery, He was trucked home and laid to rest next to ICh. Gunningdownromance, another plaque ordered and placed on his site.

NCh. Dark Demand
2009 Chestnut Stallion, Multi Stakes Winner, Multi Stakes Placed, Multi Millionaire
Black Knight (S/S) x In Demand (G) - High Demand (S/S)

Demand won over $6,000,000 on the track. He specialized in dirt winning in Sprints, Routs and Endurance. Setting a speed record at 10f. He won the following Stakes races. Del Mar Futurity, Futurity Stakes, Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, Holy Bulll Stakes, Florida Derby, Preakness Stakes, Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile, Spectacular Bid Breeders’ Stakes, Santa Anita Handicap, Woodward Stakes.
He was also named: 2011 2 year old colt of the year

Quick Stats:
Major bloodlines: Black Knight
Breed Ranking: Silver (3.7)
10 foal crops 262 foals
Winners from Racers: 58%
Stakes winners from Racers: 9% (15% MSW)
Average Foal Earnings: $198,190
Major winners: Dark Devil, Ch. Confused Forest, Ch. Sine Lux, Ch. Suspicious Minds, Ch. London Gala, Ch. Engagged On Demand, GCh. Susurro, GCh. Good Hillside, Cape Girardeau, Ch. Dark Dreamer, GCh. Dark Debate, Ch. Dark Keeper, Ch. Holiday Road, GCh. Northern Invasion, Ch. Vampris, Ch. La Bailadora, Ch. Dark Rock, Ch. The Crooked Man, Ch. Zendaya, Wiry Harmony, Ch. Pavlich, Imaginary Skyline,

RIP Demand you are already missed.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about Dark Demand.

Not the best news to hear when you’re going to a chemo appointment.

1 Like

So sorry to hear about Dark Demand!

One of my favorite horses I’ve owned is Flambeaux, who I bought because of the flambeaux who walk during Mardi Gras parades at night! He was such a solid guy and won over $200k on the track. Mostly allowance, but managed a stakes placing!

2 Likes