Race Nominations

Shanthi - This might be a moot point, since I seem to remember you saying that you plan to get rid of this in the re-write, however, would it be possible to have a message generated warning us that the Nominations for a specific race are about to close (maybe a week before the deadline date). I went to nominate some horses for the Dubai World Cup last week and realized that it was past the deadline date. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the deadline for Nominating horses for major races is a month before the actual race.

I tend to plan what races I’m going to enter my horses in right after their last race and I like to give them about 3 weeks between races (as well as adding extra time when they get sent home for a rest). Unfortunately, that invariably means that the deadline has past for some major race and I can’t enter them as they haven’t been Nominated.

If it would be a major coding change to do this and the plan is to definitely eliminate this in the re-write, then it isn’t worth you spending a lot of time on this, but if you could at least remind us (me) exactly how far ahead of the actual race is the deadline, that would be very helpful.

BTW - Is there a way that something could be added into the Stable Alerts that we could go in and set up a reminder to ourselves for a specific event at a specific time (like Race Nomination deadlines)? Maybe in the rewrite, if it isn’t too complicated.

The deadline is 30 days.

I haven’t figured out what sort of alerts will be possible in the rewrite, but nominations are definitely going away (except for Breeders’ Cup and Breeders’ Series).

Thanks.

Would it be sensible to nominate this year’s weanlings for the BC only then rather than for any of the other races?

Not really. When I scrap nominations I’ll be refunding all fees for future races, so since I’m not sure when we’ll switch over (presumably by the time 2017 babies hit the track! :wink:), may as well nominate as usual for now.

Ok thanks

Great to hear nominations are on the way out!

So the above would explain why I can’t nominate my weanlings and yearlings… right?

You may want to check to see whether or not the sire was BC-nominated. FF sires as a rule are not BC-nominated, and some stallion owners don’t nominate their sires.

No, I was talking more about the 2 and 3 yr old stakes like the Hopeful and the Kentucky Derby…

Was there a big reason of why FF doesn’t nominate their stallions?  I mean its’ stud fees are significantly more than some more proven and well campaigned horses which should say it could afford to nominate.  I think FF studs should be BC nominated by default.

Mainly to encourage the use of private studs, and encourage people to buy studs from FF (if they want them managed/BC nominated/etc). I’d consider setting the famous studs up to be BC nominated (in the rewrite), though, as they can’t be privately owned.

That would be awesome