Queen's Plate Stakes 2018 (June 30th) - Wonder Gadot & Lap of Honor

While we’re celebrating the American Triple Crown winner in real life, there is a Canadian Triple Crown to be won!

“The Queen’s Plate is Canada’s oldest thoroughbred horse race, having been founded in 1860. It is also the oldest continuously run race in North America. It is run at a distance of ​1 1â�„4 miles. The race takes place each summer, in June or July, at Woodbine Racetrack, Etobicoke, Ontario, and is the first race in the Canadian Triple Crown.”

[align=center]The FF Queen’s Plate info:

Date
2022-06-23

Race
Queen’s Plate Stakes (Gr. 1)

Surface
Dirt

Distance
10 furlongs

Purse
$1,000,000[/align]

Links:

Queen’s Plate - home page

Queen’s Plate - Wikipedia

Past winners in real life:

• 2015 - [color=blue]Shaman Ghost - 2:03.45
  • 2016 - [color=blue]Sir Dudley Digges - Time: 2:04.09
  • 2017 - [color=red]Holy Helena - 2:02.87

Past Final Furlong winners:

I have Kentucky Derby winner Local Haunt giving the Queen’s Plate a try following his Preakness bomb. Has been training well, rested more, so fingers crossed!

He was 2nd, not bad! I had two entered and I’m thinking to enter both in Prince of Wales Stakes… so that Lewis’s filly Ch. Lap of Honor has some horses behind her :wink:

I’m quite proud of Local Haunt’s second! Also eyeing Queen’s Plate for him, next.

This year’s real life winner is Wonder Gadot, a Medaglia d’Oro filly. I couldn’t find a video but she has a Wikipedia page, which says that Wonder Gadot is named for the actress Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman in the 2017 film of the same name.
Trainer Mark Casse said Wonder Gadot could continue on the OLG Canadian Triple Crown trail with the next stop the $400,000 Prince of Wales, to be contested over 1 3/16 miles on the Fort Erie main track.

Second leg of Final Furlong’s Canadian Triple Crown, the Prince of Wales Stakes, runs tomorrow! Starfish Stables entered [color=red]Ch. Lap of Honor, the winner of this year’s Queen’s Plate Stakes. There is [color=blue]Ch. Local Haunt owned by Black Storm West, who was 2nd in Queen’s Plate. He also won Kentucky Derby and Florida Derby this year. Littlefield entered [color=blue]Ch. Northern Invasion, who won Gr. 1 Caulfield Guineas and Santa Anita Derby this year. He also finished 4th in Preakness Stakes.

I entered [color=red]Satin on Steel, a filly that finished 4th in Queen’s Plate and won Gr. 2 Peter Pan Stakes earlier this year. She ran 20 races as a 2yo, before I claimed her from Final Furlong. I also entered my homebred colt [color=blue]Oh Hay; he was 6th in Queen’s Plate and is lightly raced so far.

As for the real life Prince of Wales Stakes, Wonder Gadot tops early nominations. The race is on Tuesday, July 24.

"Early nominations have closed with some excellent contenders, including the top four finishers from the 159th Queen’s Plate, the first leg in the OLG Canadian Triple Crown held at Woodbine Racetrack on Saturday, June 30.

Wonder Gadot was the first to cross the finish line at the Plate and is looking to take home the second Triple Crown jewel as well. The three-year-old filly is trained by Mark E. Casse, who has also entered Kentucky Derby contestant Flameaway for the July 24th race."

Congratulations Littlefield, for winning the Prince of Wales stakes with Ch. Northern Invasion! He is also the winner of last year’s Blue Diamond Stakes. Ch. Lap of Honor finished 6th, and my filly was 4th again. Anyone considering the third leg - Breeders’ Stakes (8.08)?

Meanwhile, Wonder Gadot Blitzes Rivals in Prince of Wales.