Not Impressed...

Okay, yes this is whinging and yes, I understand that it is partly [or maybe mostly] my fault. Now that is out of the way…

I’d just like to say to whoever bid on the same horses as me a big WHAT THE? Some fun person decided to see how high my max bids were then interestingly stop when they got there, funny that. Even more strange is the fact that each of these bids were made within a minute of each other over a four minute period. To me, that’s some strange bidding and considering the amounts, rather serious bidding at the same time. To the unknown person, if you were indeed serious about splashing three or four million on a couple of horses, I don’t see how another $500 to outbid me is going to break your bank. If you were not serious and thought it would be funny to see how far I would go, ha ha ha, nice one! It’s not like the owner, Final Furlong, has much to gain from getting a whopping sales price. You obviously knew you’d reached somewhere near my max. If serious, bid $500 more - no harm to you really and no harm to me, I can bid more if I want to. If not serious, why on earth play around like that?

So everyone knows, my point of putting such high max bids was so that I could let the auction run without having to check it every couple of hours to make sure I was still getting the top bid. I really am quite happy to pay the money if I win the horses because I do like them and I don’t really give a hoot about the money - please don’t think I’m asking for some kinda favour from anyone. Principle I guess! I suppose it is lucky for me I have a top stable of racers who should earn me some money back.

So yeah, thanks to the very cool bidder who bumped the prices up for no apparent reason at all. Kudos to you.

Sorry if this post irritates anyone [mainly Shanthi and Andrea], but yeah, freedom of speach!

It’s “speech”, and yes, it’s entirely your fault…you commit to bidding up to (and including) your max bid when you make that bid, as I told you earlier, don’t whine (like this) when you find you actually have to go to that max price.

Oh, and bragging in the middle of your whine just adds that extra bit of non-class.

Also, no one “knows” what peoples max bids are. Maybe they got to a point where they gave up and assumed that it was much higher, and maybe will now outbid you now that they know it was your max. Max bids, remember, are the amount you are willing to pay and should always be calculated into your “mental total” whether it reaches it or not except when the auction for the horse ends. If you were willing to pay those amounts then it shouldn’t be a problem, but I am sorry to hear that it happened to you.

I didn’t mind the post at all until you started bragging about your stable, which is earning insane amounts of money in a very broken, cheesy fashion. :wink: Posting like that makes me want to see you have to pay every penny you said you would.

You’re a good player and some of your horses really are that nice. But some of them you’re just running into the ground for 4th and 5th place money in million dollar stakes. And that just ticks me off. But that’s ok, because when this racing revamp is done and confidence based on prior performances plays a role in how horses do, you’re going to have to change your strategy.

(Sorry if this seems harsh, Jase, but you and your 24 mil in earnings this year and then you whining b/c you have to pay like 12 mil in the auction just pushes buttons. Whoop de do, you’re paying a whopping 50% of your earnings. What else do you have to spend them on?)

Not wanting to jump on the bandwagon, but I wish I had 1/24 of your yearly earnings Jase.

I fail to see how you can accuse someone of pushing you to your limit when they don’t know what your limit is. You must have been prepared to pay that amount if you had such a high maximum bid.

I know how frustrating that is for you Jase, but as you can see when I bid in the auction I usually don’t put in huge amounts and just wait to see what the next person will put in to get the lowest price possible on a horse.

You knew I was bidding before up until around 2mil, but then I was interested in Bonfire and haven’t bid on the other two since.

Sorry if someone did do that to you Jase, but that is the way the auction goes and I mean… I could still be bidding on those two fillies but I decided to back off to be nice and to give you a better chance of getting them and went after a mare instead.

Its not that I couldn’t spend $12mil at auction, its just I don’t feel the need to :wink:

Lindsay

I don’t have the money, but if I did, I would never pay $1 million or more for a horse, I don’t care what his/her bloodlines are. Since you were willing to pay such outrageous prices, I wouldn’t be too upset. What’s another few hundred dollars? I agree with some other posts and don’t think someone is bidding just to make you spend more money. Hopefully it will work out well for you, and they’ll turn out to be great ones.

I have spent $1,000,000+ on 2 horses: FFCh. Starz Afire, and Faith Hill (dam of MSW King David and SW Gold Fever). Normally I wouldn’t break my personal “rules” for selling/buying horses, but the select auction is my main exception.

Problem is, I don’t give a hoot what any of you think at the moment. I don’t care about the fact that my horses are costing me that amount of money - I can afford it. What I find stupid and strange is the fact that my max bids were maxed within a minute of each other over a four minute period. One, okay fine. Two, maybe conincidence. Four, damn strange.

**And, to the people that comment about and bagged me and my stable - which, by the way, I have NEVER done in this game and I’ve had money and horses taken from me as punishment for frankly stupid things:

Quite frankly, I don’t care about what anyone thinks of my horses, thinks of what I pay for my horses or how many horses I own or how I get the money I have. Fact is, I’ve got it and I’ve earned $5,000,000 more than ANY stable this year through good management and placing my horses in good races. And don’t tell me my horses just run fourth or fifth. I’m pretty sure that I can say I’ve won close to the most GI races this year - I’m pretty sure I have the most individual GI winners. Every single one of my 16 3-Y-O’s and older have won stakes this year, except one. Add to that 5 2-Y-O stakes winners. Add to that 14 of those stakes winners have won at least one Gr.1 this year. And, add to that this from the Hall Of Fame page:
Top 10 Money Earning Horses - wow, don’t win this type of money with 4th and 5th, wonder whats up?!
2. Witness $4,626,500 - winner of a 3 million dollar race plus other Gr.1s
7. Gotta Go $2,829,500 - winner of 3 million dollar races, numerous Gr.1s
Top 10 Stakes Winning Horses - funny this, my horses run 4th and 5th right?!
3. Clendon Park 9 SWs - Best SC mare this year
7. Prince Of Wonder 8 SWs - most stakes wins for a 3YO this year. 5 Gr.1s inc. defeating big name 4yos
Top 10 Points Winning Horses - you don’t get points for 5th, let alone much for fourth right?!
4. Clendon Park 503
5. Prince Of Wonder 498
6. Witness 478
Top 10 Money Earning Stables - please tell me how I get here with 4th and 5th?!

1. Central Coast Lodge $24,523,025
    Top 10 Winning Stables - whoopy twang twang, three stables within 6 wins of each other. my horses run stakes because they are good, not allowances and other easy wins.
  2. Central Coast Lodge 84

Check your facts the lot of you.
While your at it, check your colors too.

Jase, given that Andrea and I are the ones who so “stupidly” took money/horses away from you, I’d avoid lashing out at our posts specifically.

That’s all I have to say at the moment, no time/energy to spare on a counter-rant at you, especially on the forum.

No sorry Shanthi, it is meant for anyone who has an negative opinion about how I’m running things, not just you and Andrea. Actually, a lot of it was fueled by Andrea’s unfounded remarks. I put hours in schedule planning, hours in to stallion and mare planning and just basically hours into my stable. And, in the last six months I think I’ve been quite generous giving horses away and selling very nice stakes winners to newbies - oh and newbies, please check you didn’t buy a horse before you stupidly pass judgement on me and my stable.

And Shanthi, don’t bother counter-ranting, save it for Oprah.

Bottom line is you are complaining about something no one can control. So, someone made you go over your max bids. Would you have not bought them anyway? As you state, you can afford it. Some smaller stables, me included, aren’t too sympathetic to a stable that is complaining that they’re getting outbid while spending $12 mil. in an auction.

I am guessing you’re speaking of Mocashment. As far as that sale goes, I appreciate the oppurtunity, and I’m sure there are other new stables who feel the same. However, it’s not very nice to hold your generous sale over a newbie’s head.

As far as your stable goes, I have nothing negative to say whatsoever (and never have, if anything, you’ll find it’s been very positive). I feel you are a great player, as proven by the stats you have listed and many other reasons. And, no, you don’t get points and stats like that with fourth’s and fifth’s :slight_smile: . Good Luck with your recent purchases.

Jason… I’m going to respond to this in 2 parts (and Shanthi, feel free to delete my post if I’ve gone off the deep end…)

Official Portion
My “accusations” weren’t unfounded. Shanthi and I had to publicly ask you to let Sudden Death break his maiden before running him in any more stakes. He’s since won 2 stakes in over 47 stakes starts. Yes, he places in the top 5 consistantly, but he’s not winning. That’s the type of thing I’m referring to.

I also acknowledged that you put lots of time and effort into your stable. You do spend massive hours researching bloodlines and planning who to breed to who. So don’t claim that I’m ignoring that. .

You claim you’ve been fined for stupid things. Yet you’ve agreed with our penalties after we imposed them, admitted you were stupid to do the thing you did. We’ve what… fined you once for arrogance and unsportsmanlike conduct on the forum (and refunded that fine in time for the auction once you proved you could behave) and taken a horse away from you and another member when the two of you insisted on acting like 2yos and dragging me and Shanthi into it.

Personal portion**
Jason,

In addition to helping code features for this game, I also play it. Because it amuses me and it’s something to while away time when I’ve got a few spare moments. Coding for it is not something that benefits me in any way academically or job-wise. But you’re being uber competitive about it and at least giving me the impression that you’re rubbing in how rich and powerful and awesome you are in it makes me sick. You manage to imply that I, someone who helps code for this game, is not as important as you because you win more stakes and make more money in it than I do. Basically, when you act like you’ve been lately you make me not want to play a game I’ve helped code for, stuck with through moving, getting married, owning/not owning real horses. Your attitude drives me nuts. I won’t speak for Shanthi and I know this should have been a PM, but I think it’s fair to warn both you and everyone else that Shanthi and I are people. If I, someone who helps code and has been a member of the game for as long as I have, feel like I can’t succeed in it because of people like you, how much worse is it for newbies and other members who use this as a fun time or play it in addition to other games.

And if you’re thinking that I was the one who went in and bumped up your bids, I wasn’t. So you can stop making badly veiled accusations. I’ll freely admit that I pushed one of Holly’s bids to see if I was willing to pay as high as she’d gone. Since then that bid’s been way surpassed anyway so it doesn’t matter.

To everyone else in FF…
Sorry for ranting publicly on the forum, but I’m afraid I just found out where the edge of how far Jason can push me is.

Hehe, Andrea, I didn’t even notice. :wink:

Oh wait i c…lol…yeah it would have been a steal to get her for 300k…well obviously considering the bids now. :lol:

Andrea
I’m sorry I make you feel that way. In no way am I attempting to undermine anyone else’s chances or abilities to succeed in this game. Again, an unfounded call. You and Shanthi both know that I love this game. I’ve been playing for years and years now and have marvelled and appreciated every single advancment in the game - large and small as well as significant and insignificant to myself. Things you’ve done for new players like the Newbie Auction I thought was great and I supported this. Everytime you make a coding advancement I post positive remarks about this. I suggest developments to the game. Only last week did I send Shanthi a PM listing some series so we could have a Triple in Australia to make it more attractive for horses to stay here. This took me an estimated ten hours to research which included contacting people within the actual Australian racing industry. I have my moments yes, and this is one of those. But at the same time, I don’t feel as though you have any right to say I undermine anything you do for the game. The fact that I spend so much time and care so much about the success of my stable should be an indicator of this. I believe Final Furlong is the best game around and the fact is you and Shanthi, along with a good group of members, have made this the case. How many times I have said this I’ll never know.

Also, Final Furlong strives for realism. You know as well as I do that if a horse is stakes quality in real-life, the horse runs in stakes. Well, they do over here anyway. Shogun Lodge is a prime real-life example of a Sudden Death, though somewhat more successful at winning a couple more stakes. He ran so many seconds and thirds at the top level it became a joke amongst the media and industry. I refuse to run a horse that is stakes quality in anything but stakes. You would also know as well as I do that there are people in this game that run the most useless no-hopers in stakes races. No offence, but everyone knows this is true. I don’t think I’m committing a crime at all and fair enough, Sudden needed to win a race. I got him the win, he won a stakes and placed in a heap of good level stakes against some great horses.

Finally, assumption is the mother of all stuff ups [change ‘stuff’ to any other word you like]. Please, please, please don’t assume that I think you are tossing bids onto my horses. That is being absolutely ridiculous. You a mature woman with better things to do than that and you know that I know that fact. Show me where I’ve made the so-called allegations and I’ll rectify or justify the statement. Please, don’t insult me by assuming I’d stoop to the level of actually openly trying to cover an accusation. I’m not an idiot and neither are you.

Andrea, and Shanthi, I thoroughly respect everything you do concerning the game. I may not agree or like what happens all the time [now being one of those times], but I do respect you and I know my place and I know my right to voice my concerns is just as valid as other members voicing concerns and making idiotic and stupid comments or requests, which I know annoy you just as much as what I do.

Finally, my sincere apologies Andrea for how you feel. Believe me please, it was not ever my intention to insult you or Shanthi on any level and again, I apologise if I have.

Sange
I’m glad you bought Mocashment, good on you. I’m not holding anything over newbies heads. I don’t have that right. You bought the horse, good for you. What I can’t fathom is the fact that newbies seem to forget I was once a newbie too. I also watched people splurge on horses and thought it was crazy. You’ll be in my shoes one day hopefully and you’ll be spending big money too. I just hope for you that the final bid you pay is a totally honest and legitimate one.

MJM Racing
Quite frankly, I do not understand why you bothered to post that message at all. Yes Witness has travelled a lot. Fact is, it doesn’t affect horses at the moment, so I don’t care. He likes short rest periods apparently too, so I don’t care if he runs ten days apart. You’ll notice lately I’ve been trying to give most of my horses at least fourteen days rest, with the exception of a couple. Don’t go pointing fingers at me, whether it is a joke or not, when there are plently of other stables, who I won’t name, that travel their horses just as much as I do. You are really stupid if you think I’m prepared to joke around at the moment. Funny ha ha buddy. Seeing as you want to get petty and play jokes, why don’t you try spelling Shanthi’s name properly for starters.

Hey Jason,

I know you’re frustrated, I’m not trying to make anything worse at all. I guess I should learn to keep quiet on certain things :slight_smile: . Mocashment was a great buy, and I do appreciate greatly your generosity. Hopefully he will run as good for me as he had for you. You did a great job with him. I really hope that some day I can be in your shoes, and I appreciate your encouragement. I guess it is kinda tough to imagine such a top notch stable as once being a newbie. I’ll keep that in mind. Maybe I’m sorta stubborn with such things as spending alot of money on a single horse. I tend to go with the same theory for purchases that I use in betting on horses, which is why I don’t bet on 6-5 favorites. Too much risk for the potential reward. Plus, there is always the rare bargains from stables such as yours who offer great horses for much less than they are worth. Well that’s only my humble opinion. Not saying at all that your wrong. I’ll leave it at that as I’ve probably said way too much about this already. No hard feelings, nothing personal. Have a great day.

Tom

Jase, PM me about this further if you’d like.