Mixed Auction 2025 - How'd You Do?

I went in with a list of 4 and managed to grab 3 of them! Paid more in this Mixed Auction than I’m used to, BUT I did buy 3 I really wanted…versus having a ton of money to burn and just bidding on anything shiny. :sweat_smile:

Darkfall, 2012 broodmare by Danzig - Miss Tee. We had purchased her 2019 foal, Ch. Downfall, as a weanling and he went on to be a MSW and BC winner, so seeing her up for grabs I really wanted to bring her home. She also produced MSW Ch. Evocation. Gold-ranked and comes in foal to Hogwarts for 2026. Paid $37,000.

Sugar Coma, yearling filly by GCh. Naval Commander - Ch. High on Sugar. Dam is MSP, but we mostly bought her for her granddam, Candyland, who is platinum and has produced 50% SW’s. Sugar Coma is a BIG yearling at 16hh already. Bought for $20,500.

A Thousand Nights, yearling filly by NCh. Worthy Victor - Ch. Lamia. Only foal out of MSW dam, who is a half-sister to MSW’s GCh. Morgan le Fay and GCh. Spamalot (who was unfortunately 1 SW short of stud-status); 4 of Lamia’s 5 half-siblings are champion-titled or better. Bought for $40,500.

3 Likes

We picked up 3 broodmares, and 2 random racehorses for $5k total.

Sin City, 2009 broodmare by Unbridled (B) - Foolish Question (P). She’s half to FFCh. Foolhardy, GCh. Mission Bay, NCh. Crucible, and NCh. Bellagio. She’s older and hasn’t done much as a broodmare, but all her foals were FF-owned or inactive. Hoping we can at least get a filly out of her, and see what happens.

Mountain Squall, 2013 broodmare by Highland Bandit (S) - Wind of Miriah (G). She’s half to GCh. Highland Bandit, and has a SW/MSP filly, Ch. Sugarfoot.

High Lady, 2018 broodmare by High Chances (S) - Lucky Fleet (B). I just liked her name lol

Scotty & Floating Guide, just taking a chance on some older racers. Likely race them at least once and see what happens lol Hopefully they earn some money.

4 Likes

I haven’t bought any, and I’ve sold 3 (so far). Definitely counting that as a win. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh yes, I also sold 2 broodmares in the auction! So really I only gained 1 horse (so I tell myself).

1 Like

Came home with five :sweat_smile:

The one I really had my eye on was Kessel Run by FFCh. I’m No Fool (S) - Firedancer. Her dam is by Turn n’Burn, and this is second foal. I had a SW by Turn n’Burn who is shaping up to be a great broodmare. Definitely paid a little too much for this filly at $40,500, but I hope she’ll be worth it.

Bed of Roses, 2yo colt by Turnpike Wannabe (B) - Give Her a Rose (G). Half to BC Juvenile winner Ch. Bachelor. Bought for $21,000.

Queen of Naboo, created 2009 broodmare, currently ranked Silver. She and her progeny have been FF-owned for a while, and her only raced foal is SP. She has a mid-August date with Devil’s Walk this year, and we’re hoping there will be at least one more foal in her future after that. Bought for $1,000.

Ragged Move, 5yo mare by NCh. Changeling (S) - Spirit Of My Life (S). Unplaced in four starts, all 2 years ago. She’s half-sister to a few SW and SP horses. We’re hoping she’ll run well this year, but she was really a broodmare prospect. Bought for $1,000

Times New Roman, a weanling colt by NCh. Sunday Paper (B) and out of Dark Colors. His only half-sibling is a 2 year old, placed in his first and only start. Bought for $1,000.

1 Like

I got four so far :slight_smile: got outbid on pretty much all of the ones I had my eye on, but still brought home some good horses. There’s also another broodmare I’m hoping to get!

UnassumingStart - yearling filly by NCh. Straticus (B) and out of Monday Morning (B). I think I really bought her because I like her name. She has a stakes placed sister. My only worry is that she’s still a little small. $5500

Pahoehoe - weanling colt by NCh. Daredevil Dan (S) and out of Liquid Fire (B). Half brother is a multiple stakes winner. The name is Hawaiian for a smooth and fast-flowing type of lava, and it’s pronounced pah-hoy-hoy. $1000

Testify - 10 year old broodmare by ICh. Witness (S) and out of Ch. Foxfire (S). She is half-sister to several stakes winners, but was FF-owned and only raced at 6. $1000

Vienna’s Milano - 9 year old broodmare by GCh. Major’s Flight (G) and out of Ch. Signal Fire (S). $1000.

1 Like

Came home with 5 and might go back for more when limit is upped, lol :sweat_smile:. I’m on a buying streak lately.

M’Lady Guinevere, 2009 broodmare by Storm Approaching - Swordinthestone. Never heard of her sire (logical as he has just 9 foals) or her damsire and as most of her foals are FF owned I wanted to give her a shot. I’m also a sucker for Arthurian legend so I’m gonna have so much fun naming her future foals, hehe. $1,000.

Eternal Flame, 2016 broodmare by Magic Glory - Flames of War. My #1 pick for this auction and the only one I was actually able to get because the others went above my price range. She only has one foal on the ground, but has 3 very successful 1/2 sibling broodmares, Magic Glory is a silver ranked broodmare sire and her granddam is platinum ranked and produced ICH. Ring of Fire and FFCh. Can’t Catch Me. In other words, I have high hopes of her being a stellar broodmare in the future. $1,000.

Quick Peace, 2022 filly by Away the Lads - City Runner. Tbh, I don’t have enough 3 y/o fillies and there were only two in this auction. Kessel Run went above my budget fast, but no one had their eye on Quick here. She’s a bit of a wildcard, but the only 1/2 sibling that isn’t FF owned is a SW, so hopefully there’s some hidden talent in her lines! $1,000

Rock of Cashel, yearling colt by Highland Burning - Cashel’s Consort. The yearlings high on my list quickly went out of price range and I desperately want some more before 2026 race year starts (and I forgot about the foal auction) so I took a chance on this guy. Damline is very much unproven, so can go either way. $11,000

Papyrus, yearling filly by American Pharaoh - Kept Woman. Damline is kind of unproven, but Kept Woman is a Ch. and has bunch of SP 1/2 siblings, including one who produced this year’s Epsom Derby Stakes winner - so hoping it’s a sign that she’ll have some talent in her hooves haha. Also, the name Papyrus wasn’t taken so I just had to take my chance before someone would beat me to it. $20,500.

Darkfall, Kessel Run and A Thousand Nights were all in my top 5 too, so I hope they run well for you Shelbie & Madison!

I only went after one and was lucky enough to get her.
Shame On You

By I’m No Fool out of a Nightfight half sister to Turnpike Wannabe. She’s a nice early foal and hopefully she’ll make a nice runner.

1 Like

I came home with 5 not surprisingly, however only spent $1k a piece (thats me trying to justify my purchases!) Welcome ladies!

Black Magic Woman (10yo, V is for Victory) was only 3pts away from her Ch. title. With only has 2 foals on the ground and the youngest consigned to the Annual Foal Auction (which I am hoping to get my hands on!) she’s in foal to Exit Poll with hopes of a SC star!

Eivor (weanling, Pay the Boatman) her Dam is SP and out of Unbridled with Eivor (a-voor) as her first foal. I named her after the main character in the new Assassins Creed Valhalla game. The lines begged for a Viking name!

GCh. Lady Fae (14yo, Highland Wizard) is a MSW, MSP, millionaire that I really had my eye on with her dam being a multi-millionaire, gold ranked, Reine-de-Course mare. Lady has produced 7/9 fillies so I’m hoping her next foal to Tir Na Nog will follow suit and Lady Fae can enjoy a well earned retirement.

Legendary Field (2yo, Hogwarts) placed 3rd in her first race. Hopefully she will continue to run well as she joins our runners under Black Briar silks.

Rumors Of War (8yo, Rumor Has It) really was bought for her lineage. With sires Rumor Has It, Planet Hollywood and Man O’War. Her dam is silver ranked and produced current stallion GCh. Northern Invasion. She was bred to Ducati this year with hopes of a dirt or turf sprinter.

I’ve increased the limit to 8 per stable if anyone wants to go back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went back for a cheap “why not?” project.

Legal Robin, 2020 racehorse by NCh. Hogwarts - Ladies Party. Hasn’t raced in 2 years and is unplaced in 4 starts. However, his sire did well at 5 and I’m hoping he at least has a few good runs left in him to make back his 1k pricetag.

Our focus was mainly on weanlings and yearlings (we did go after one older horse but she went out of our price range pretty early in the Auction). Our strategy was to allocate $20k for each of 5 horses and, by the time she went over the $20k, we didn’t have any room under the cap to increase our bid for her.

Still ended up with 5, 4 colts and 1 filly:-
Devil’s Fire, 2024 black colt by ICh. Devil’s Walk out of Striped Fire - $5,500
My Fight Song, 2024 bay colt by NCh. Fight The Twilight out of Renegade Song - $1,500
Bright Fox, 2024 brown colt by WCh. Sionnach out of Ch. Bright Naiad - $1,500
Lucky Thumb, 2025 strawberry roan colt by NCh. Lucky Streak out of Thumbelina - $35,500
Lucky Miss, 2025 bay filly by NCh. Lucky Streak out of Bold Miss - $1,000

Just purchased one this year. This month has been so busy that I didn’t really have the time to analyze anyone, and I don’t really need any new horses anyway, especially broodmares. Lol.

Still, gave in and gambled on DontBreakMyHeart, a half-sister to NCh. Crafty Magic. Their dam, Crafty Lisa, produced 6 champions and one national champion out of 13 foals and 100% winners. Will be interested to see how DontBreakMyHeart’s foals do in comparison to her dam.

I’ve increased the limit to 12 per stable for the final couple of days.

1 Like