Mixed Auction 2024 - How’d you do?

I really don’t need more ponies but picked up five for a total of $5000.

Breathtaking . Weanling filly by Venture His Due out of gold-ranked mare Spectacular Silver. Really surprised to get this girl for the minimum bid. She was my top choice. She’s a half sister to MSWs Blue Empress and Pieces of Eight (I bought the latter as a weanling from the same auction, same price tag a few years ago and her first foal recently broke his maiden). The dam is a half sister to Question Authority (dam of Quarren and several other stakes winners) and Sky Catcher (dam of GCh Sekhmet). I don’t have anything by the sire so I’m looking forward to seeing how his progeny get on.

I hadn’t planned on picking up any more but since the filly was so cheap I went back for another four!

Dream of Dubai Weanling Colt by Dubawi out of a half sister to What’s Your Point. I’ve got his 2yo half-brother and am hopeful for Dubawi as a sire.

Prosecution Weanling Colt by Bare Witness out of Sky Catcher. From the same family as the filly. His best half-sibling to date is Sekhmet. Another new sire for me and it’ll be interesting to see how this guy gets on.

Astronomy Weanling colt by Frankel. I really like Frankel as a sire and the dam is a silver ranked half sister to TakeMeToHollywood and gold ranked broodmares Hollywood Silver and Hollywood Gold. This guy should at least earn back his purchase price.

Black His Due. 5yo mare by Devil His Due out of GCh Black Heartbreak (Nightfight). This one’s a total gamble. She’s multi-placed in 4 starts but not raced since 3. I’ll start her training and just see how she goes.

I picked up five for a total of $7,500. I was outbid on my first two choices with $100,000 bids (not surprising, they are really nice horses), but I’m really happy with the ones I picked up.

Alealea 4yo Mare by Spock out of Cheatin’ Seattle. She is Mult. Winner, Mult. Placed. It looks like she has already been heavily raced this year, so I’m giving her a little break and we will see if she still wants to run later this year. If not, I already have breeding plans for her.

Illawarra 3yo Filly by Irish Gold out of the gold ranked broodmare Fenix. She only has one win, but has stakes places. She will also be getting a little rest before racing later this year.

Symmetry Yearling Colt by Galaxy’s Zodiac out of silver ranked broodmare Autumn Melodies. His dam has produced 6 winners out of 8 foals and one millionaire.

No Turning Back Weanling Colt by American Pharoah out of silver ranked broodmare Accepted Place. His dam has produced multiple winners and one stakes winner.

Fixed Odds Yearling Colt by Superdocious out of Joey’s Classic. His dam hasn’t had many foals yet, but has produced 2 winners out of 2 foals.

Picked up four, grabbing two of our top picks.

Dawn Treador, weanling colt (American Pharaoh x GCh. Deep of the Night - Nightfight). Half to MSW Ch. Lingering Test, and dam was MSW and a millionaire.

Book of Kells, weanling colt (Golden Horn x Ch. Chevalerie - Chivalry). I wanted a Golden Horn, and this guy definitely caught my eye. Dam was SW/MSP and set a speed record, and her only started foal has finished in the top 2 in 4/6 starts.

Humble, yearling filly (NCh. Straticus x Ch. Otta Be Jazz). I’ve been keeping my eye out for more 1-2yo Straticus foals. Dam is a MSW and millionaire, and has produced 4 winners from 6 runners including a champion-titled SP.

Coconut Island, weanling filly (ICh. Demand the Best x Double Decker - FFCh. High Chances). Bit of a gamble as most of her half-sibs are unstarted, and all her dam’s half sisters have only unstarted foals. Dam is half to MSW’s GCh. Rich Belle and Ch. Right Memory, both inactive since 2022. Hoping if she’s actually raced/managed, she’ll be a nice runner!

Managed to get only one.

MAGIC SONG is a yearling filly by NCh. Ancient Magic out of silver-ranked GCh. Seaside Serenade. She’s the first foal from her MSW dam for a few years, and all of her older siblings are winners or stakes level (including MSW Jaded Silk). I’ll be curious to see how she does, one of our two 2yos by Ancient Magic is a winner already.

I love spending limit. Makes me lose bids but it’s much more interesting :smiley:

I like to remember what I bought in the previous year, and here are my 2023 Mixed Auction purchases:

Rammstein made his first start just recently but he finished only 9th. We’re planning to run him again in a month, but on a different track. Ziyo is still growing and Cat Surfer gave us a lovely brown colt which we named Cat Goes Fishing.

This year I bought a broodmare named Argelian. She raced for six years and changed owners a number of times, earning a Champion title and a speed record on turf. She has one winner and we bred her to Ablative Armour. Price was just $1,000.

Then I bought a yearling colt My Name Is Million. He is by NCh. Carrowmore and out of Gold ranked mare Aliceinwonderland. Pedigree shows that he should be a turf classic runner. Price was $62,000.

Went back for one more :crazy_face:.

Lovestruck Indy, broodmare (A.P. Indy x Lovestruck). Not that I need more broodmares, but I currently own 2 AP mares and both are gold ranked, and they’re getting up in age so figured I’d add a third. Not much on the track, but retired sound.