Mares to Broodies

Couple of questions that tie in together

Why do mares have to run  a minimum of 10 races before they can become broodmares? I’m assuming it must be to counter an exploit I haven’t thought of.

It’s never worried me before but I bought some mares in the CSS auction that need about 4-5 more races to be eligible, one is 7yrs old & one is 6. I’d planned to race them just to get to 10 but I hadn’t considered their NE, which is so incredibly low it’s going to take a large length of rest at the farm to recover.

So how far into the red can NE go?

Also if I decide to just get their needed races out of the way ASAP and wear the inevitable losses, will racing with such low NE cause them much harm? AND has being worked while having low NE been doing them harm (as it hints at in the FAQ)

Sorry each question made me think of another question  ;D

It’s not really to counter an exploit, more to ensure that people don’t give up horses too quickly. 10 races (over your standard 2yo-4yo racing career) isn’t very much, so it’s a pretty low bar (usually - the CS horses are a bit of a special case).

In theory there’s no minimum - there’s a horse in the database with a NE of -483.2. :wink:

If it were me, I’d just get their races over and done with. Low NE just means they’ll take a slight hit to their racing stats, but they won’t self-destruct or anything. (The code used to shorten a horse’s racing career due to low NE but I haven’t run that bit of code in a few years.)

Ugh pretty sure these two wouldn’t be much better ??? lol well i’ll cross my fingers and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply, as always  :slight_smile: