Mare Died While in Foal

Im still fairly new to the breeding game as this is only my 2nd full season of actively breeding and foaling mares. I logged on this morning to a notification that a mare had died, but she is still listed as in foal on her ‘View Foals’ page. Her due date to foal was/is June 9th. Will the foal still be born at some point? Im assuming a foal can survive with being a month premature? Ive never seen this happen before so I’m curious as to what happens.

Mare in questions is Kiss Me Goodbye

Please feel free to share your experiences !

From the FAQ:

“If a broodmare is set to retire before she has her last foal, the foal has a chance of being born premature, or if the mare dies too early (i.e. in October when the foal is due in March), the foal will die.”

Either way, she shouldn’t still be in foal. That looks like a bug to me.

@Shanthi would this be a bug?

Not sure how this happened, but as the foal was in the database with stats, I’ve updated her birth date to be May 10, so it’s a standard foal birth + mare death scenario. (Sorry about that, but at least you’ve got the foal!)

Thanks Shanthi! Sucks losing the mare bought her last July from FF so this will be the only foal we get from her! So glad the filly survived !