Looking for a Date

I have so many mares, it’s gotten to the point where I feel like I’m going eeney, meaney, miney, moe, which is what I did when I first started and I feel after nine “years” (the first few went by fast) I should be able to do better than that.

The one that’s stumping me most is NCh. Unconditional (Cigar x My Fair Lady by Highland Rogue).  She’s her dam’s most successful foal, so it’s not like I can get guidance from that.  Rogue kills a lot of options and I’ve already bred her to a Worth son, so I’m looking for something different. 

I’ve bred a lot of horses to my personal favorites, so something different would be nice.  I want a stallion that will improve upon her, so I do want 10+ stakes wins (the more, the better), even though I know there are a lot of stallions (and mares) who have a better production record than they do a race record.  I’m okay with young studs fresh off the track or “unproven,” which may be the downfall of my breeding strategy.  She prefers dirt and sprints and had successful 2, 3, and 4yo seasons.

So, if you have any suggestions or want to pimp your boys, please post below.  If you have a specific reason for suggesting a boy, please let me know, too.  Thank you for your help.

Hey, I’m a firm believer in that method. :wink: It’s gotten me 88% winners and 37% stakes winners, anyway, so I can’t really complain.

Anyway, studs I like the look of, in no particular order

True, but it’s hard t justify doing that for a “nice” mare.  Though heaven only knows if she’ll produce well, even if she has Cigar blood. 

From taking into account what you’ve listed and said about your mare I would have no reservations by recommending my own stallion, Nightfight.
He was a dirt lover as well and won 18 stakes races…the G1 Whitney Handicap 3 times in a row!  He was most successful in his 4,5, and 6 year old years but was really untapped in his 2 and 3 year old years, though he looked promising.  He offers CDR The Black linage and awesome Times Ebony lines which would really compliment your mares Rogue/Cigar backround.  The Black and Rogue mares have crossed to produce champions such as NCh. Spellbound, ICh. Blackbird, MSW Ch. Midnight Fire, and MSW Ch. Black Roses to name a few.  Cigar could only richen the pot I would think. :wink: 

even tho he has no foals racing yet the stud i bought Slip in the Mud wasn’t raced until he was 4-6, but has a pretty good record if you want to check him out , hes by created lines so its a crapshoot but he ran well.
finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=7884

Grace, is there a reason why you’re suggesting him?  I’d like to hear why you think he’s a good match for this particular mare. =)

I like the look of Renegade’s Sixth Day who’s by Planet Hollywood out of a Cross Roads mare so a little bit different. Mostly a dirt performer and although he didn’t win at two, he was stakes placed from only four starts. The dam is a gold ranked grand champion and I think he might be worth a try at a low fee. He was a better performer on the track than his paternal half-brother Rumor Has It and if he can match that one’s winner to runner strike rate you could have a nice runner.  The only thing that puts me off using him is I’m poor and as he’s in Australia shipping fees are too much at the moment :frowning:

Foolhardy!

i saw you wanted a guy that had dif lines, had raced well, and even tho he was not raced at 2 or 3 , i bought him because he can be crossed with anyone, he seemed to do well racing as an older stallion winning some nice races. so i just threw his name out there, i am going to use him on several of mine to see what happens. he has one group on the ground but none racing yet, so like i said you dont know but with how well he did i pray he passes it on. it was not meant as an insult to anyone, just a suggestion, and please feel free to call me carole since there is another grace in the game now

No, Carole, I didn’t mean to imply anything by my question.  I’m sorry if you thought I did.  I’m honestly quite curious as to why folks suggest one thing or another.  I have my own quirks when selecting studs; I haven’t turned into a super-breeder yet, so maybe I should change them.  I just want to hear others’ thought processes in addition to the usual advertising. 

(Just as an FYI, since I’m awful with names and memorizing things… if call you whatever you have in your signature; barring that, I go off log-in names… So forgive me if I ever call you Grace again.  Okay?)

i used grace because it was my nicname as a kid because i was FAR from gracefull , lol, it doesnt bother me , i just didnt want the other one to get confused .  I didnt think you were mad i just didnt want to upset you thinking i thought i had an inferior stud i was suggesting, i was just throwing it out there as where he has no ties in the game hes basically free to breed without inbreeding/linebreeding. I tend to go with pretty boys , or ones that give me decent numbers on the pedigree page, tho that hasnt exactly done me any favors yet for getting any of my own great babies. i think i have bred 2 champs in my what 6 yrs here, so i am hoping since he was a decent racer he might give me some good babies :slight_smile: