Long Days Night

Lindsay shivered and adjusted her coat against the cold and nippy December air. The Rocky

Mountains were unforgiving this time of year, but it was warmer than normal with just a skiff

of snow on the ground.

She walked across the farmyard, listening to the snow lightly

crunch under her feet. She walked into the warmth of the broodmare barn to visit the mares

who were well into their pregnancies, and some were ready to give birth as early as

January.

First, she went to visit he prized mare Nation’s Colors. "Hey there pregnant

girl. How about a good brush?" she asked. Pride whinnied a soft reply.

So, Lindsay

proceeded to cross-tie and brush out the lovely mare talking softly to her and watching the

other jealous mares around her poke out their heads.

Ladylove, who never liked to be

overlooked let out a shrill whiney voicing her displeasure in Pride being payed so much

attention. She was bred to Quest for her second foal, and would be giving birth to a healthy

foal in March.

Midnight Danger pawed at her stall door not to be outdone and looked

pitifully at Lindsay as if trying to ask “Where is my treat.” Lindsay just smiled in reply.

The mare was bred to Highland Bandit, and she hoped he mix of Rogue and Seattle Slew

bloodlines would produce one awesome little horse.

Patriot Games was also nearby

sticking her head over the stall door. One of her foals had just beome a stakes winner this

year at four years old making Lindsay proud of the old mare. She was only a year younger than

Pride, and would be retired from breeding the year after. She was bred to Gimme A Shot for a

2007 foal, and Linds just couldn’t wait to see the foal.

"Well, there you go girl. "

she purred. Brushing Pride always relaxed her when she was stressed out from managing the

racing string, training the yearlings, and organizing breedings for the coming

year.

She closed Pride’s door and after visiting the rest of the mares in the barn

and handing out a treat or two it was time to visit the four stallions of the

farm.

She braved the nippy cold of outside once again before reaching the warmth of

the stallion barn.

Valid Wager, as always, was the first to welcome her knowing he was

the favorite even though he was currently retired from stud pending he running of his foals.

He nuzzled her hands excitively looking for any signs of treats.

"Hey you nosey thing,

what makes you think I have any treats left for you?" she laughed. Valid gave her a sad puppy

dog look until she pulled a couple of carrots from her pocket for him. He munched in happy

contentment. “You’re welcome baby.” she cooed.

With a final scratch of his ears, she

headed off to check on the other residents of the barn.

Quest was busy playing with

his feed bucket trying to get the last remains of his breakfast that he missed. Sec

(Secretary) was dozing quietly in his stall. "If there is any horse who sleeps as much as

this one I’ll be surprised." she said.

Worth was munching contently on some hay,

while Gimme was eyeing her suspiciously from his stall door. She walked up and gave the

finicky stallion a few carrots of his own with a few scratches behind the ears for good

measure.

Just then she heard the phone ring from the stable office joined to the

breeding shed. She walked hurriedly to the phone. She was expecting a call from Johnny

letting her know how the yearlings were training down south.

"Hello. Hey there Johnny.

How are the boys and girls behaving lately?" she laughed. "Really? So Post is behaving

himself then, well that’s good. Hopefully he’ll continue showing that speed in his races

next month. So how is Starr acting? Jenny is having a bit of trouble with her then. Well

that’s to be expected from a filly who is a HUGE 17.3hh. I still can’t believe that from

Rogue, never mind that she is a blue roan to boot. How are the Quest colts holding out?

Rainshine is quiet, Watercolor is a fighter, and Highway is quiet one day and fiesty the next

huh? Well we should have an interesting month come January then hey Jon? Yeah, I guess I

better be going. I still hav some weanlings to check on and work with before the morning is

over. I’ll see you and the babies in a week then. Talk to you soon, bye!"

Lindsay

sighed as she walked outside towards the weanling barn and training arena wiping a strand of

hair from her face.

She looked over at the high Rocky Mountains and once again began

to daydream about future champions and how the two year olds would fare. "Only time will

tell." she thought.

~Lindsay