Lip tattoos

This might be a silly question, but I’m finding it surprisingly hard to answer. A friend of mine works at a barn that acquired an elderly Thoroughbred a few years back and was told he’s an Irish import. His lip tattoo is a little hard to make out (they think he’s 20+), but while looking around the internet I’m only finding references to lip tattoos used on North American horses. I presumed lip tattoos were an international thing, but maybe not? Would an Irish horse have a lip tattoo? What Letter/YOB system is used?

Based on this site, it says “horses foaled outside of North America will (also) have an asterisk at the beginning of the tattoo”.
http://www.horse-races.net/library/lip-tattoos.htm

It also includes helpful information about the tattoo letter/number combinations and how to get more information on the horse’s identity.  :slight_smile:

Certainly not common practice to use lip tattoos in the UK. All TB foals have to be microchipped here (and DNA blood tested, I think).

I could ask at the barn, or maybe this is the excuse I need to go visit the Irish National Stud. :wink:

Ivy - Thanks for the link! Not sure how I didn’t find that site…then again I was trying to discreetly research at work and the computers are a bit picky when it comes to “gambling” websites. AKA, anything horse racing, lol.

Shanthi - I feel this is a very good reason to visit the Irish National Stud. For research purposes, of course. :wink: