Leading 2020 Freshman Stallions

2020 Freshman Stallions
16 stallions entered stud in 2020. In this post, “Freshman” refers to horses whose first crops turned 2 this year. I will update these statistics when the 2022 racing calendar ends to see how much the numbers have changed.

QUICK STATS
Top 5 Sires By Win %

• City Upon a Hill: 47.37%
  • Curlin: 45%
  • Black Cherry: 32%
  • Away the Lads: 31.82%
  • Pay the Boatman: 31.82%

*If no RL stallions are counted, then fifth-ranked stallion will be Qaurren at 30.43% winners

Top 5 Sires By Progeny Earnings

• Quarren: $1,217,300 from 23 starters
  • Black Cherry: $797,300 from 25 starters
  • City Upon A Hill: $364,350 from 19 starters
  • Pay the Boatman: $350,300 from 22 starters
  • Away the Lads: $201,050 from 22 starters

Stallions with Stakes Winners

• City Upon A Hill: Glass City
  • Black Cherry: Ch. Punch Buggy
  • Pay the Boatman: Lethe
  • Quarren: Ch. Madame Pele

Black Cherry and Quarren are both represented by MSW and G1 winning 2yo’s with Ch. Punch Buggy (Black Cherry), winner of the G1 Visionary S and G2 Todman Slipper Trial, and Ch. Madame Pele (Quarren), winner of the G1 Cheveley Park Stakes, G1 Frizette Stakes, and G2 Best Pal S. For the nitpicky, removing Quarren’s MG1W daughter would reduce his progeny earnings to $284,300. Similarly, removing Punch Buggy would reduce Black Cherry to $265,300. Both would still make the top 5 list.

It is worth noting that Ch. Punch Buggy is the only horse to defeat 2yo sensation GCh. Palermo (Foolhardy), who has won 10 of his 11 starts this year.

QUICK OVERVIEW

• Of the 16 freshman stallions, only 3 have no winners this year: Glorious Victory, Superdocious, and Sponsored. Glorious Victory has 9 2yo’s but none have started this year, Superdocious has 30 2yo’s with 4 of 16 started foals having placed, and Sponsored has 6 2yo’s with 5 starters, all unplaced.
  • Stallions with SP 2yo’s are Bernardini (Seekers Bay) and Usain Bolt (Lightning Bolt, Can’t Keep Me).
  • Of the top 5 sires by leading win percentage, the cheapest at stud is Pay the Boatman at $2,500, followed by honorary-mention Quarren at $5,000. Leading sire City Upon A Hill stands for $6,000. The most expensive stallions are Sponsored, Curlin and Bernardini at $25,000 each.
  • All leading freshman stallions this year have different sires. Black Cherry is the first and only son of FFCH. High Chances at stud.

Interesting! My stallion [color=blue]NCh. Al Mundhir also had his first 2yo’s this year, but I didn’t expect them to do much, since he started racing as a 3yo and was still stakes winner at five. However, his first crop still gave him a bronze breeding ranking.

Of the mentioned studs, I have a 2yo filly [color=red]Apophis by City Upon a Hill, 4x5 inbred to Secretariat via dam. She ran six races, won once. Another is [color=red]Mymble by Away The Lads, 3x3 inbred to Seattle Slew. She ran three times but her best finish is 5th. Her dam was best as 2yo so I hope that she’ll get better soon.

I also have a homebred [color=blue]Cap’n Körlinq, yearling colt by Curlin. His older sister by Frankel is winner / stakes placed as 2yo.
And there is also a weanling filly [color=red]Jetzt Oder Nie by Pay the Boatman, 3x3 inbred to What’s It Worth and 3x4 inbred to False Promises, sire of only 14 foals total, but all of his champion foals were 2yo winners / stakes winners so maybe this filly will mature early too.

Of those 5 stallions, I only have 2 representing them.

The first is [color=blue]Klaus Mitffoch (Black Cherry x Love Signal - High on Love), who has 2 wins (both claiming) and a 5th in an NW3 out of 3 starts and is distantly inbred to Highland Rogue.

Second is [color=red]Whimsical War (City Upon a Hill x Lady Liberty - Starz ‘n’ Stripes), who has only run twice, bombing her debut but pulling a 5th out of her second run.

I have to say, I’m quite surprised (but happy) to see Quarren with several winners at this stage of the year since he didn’t break his maiden until the April of his 3yo year. Madame Pele probably gets her talent from the dam side :wink:

I’ve got a handful of Black Cherry youngsters but none for the other guys that have reached Racing age yet.

*Just realized I titled this 2023 Freshman Stallions. Corrected.

Will update this weekend after the final 2022 races tomorrow. Scary to see January listed on the Enter Races page!

At this time, Qaurren has taken the lead with 44% winners, and City Upon the Hill has dropped to 2nd with 42.86% winners. But safe to say Quarren wins as leading earner as the only freshman stallion with over $1 million in progeny earnings.

OFFICIAL
2020 Freshman Stallions

QUICK STATS
Top 5 Sires By Win %

• Quarren: 48%
  • City Upon a Hill: 42.86%
  • Black Cherry: 40%
  • Pay the Boatman: 39.13%
  • Curlin: 33.33%

*If no RL stallions are counted, then fifth-ranked stallion will be Away the Lads at 30.43% winners.

Top 5 Sires By Progeny Earnings

• Quarren: $1,644,150 from 25 starters
  • Black Cherry: $865,800 from 25 starters
  • Pay the Boatman: $408,150 from 23 starters
  • City Upon A Hill: $387,150 from 21 starters
  • Curlin: $262,850 from 27 starters

*If no RL stallions are counted, then fifth-ranked stallion will be Away the Lads at $241,350 from 23 starters.

Stallions with Stakes Winners

• City Upon A Hill: Glass City
  • Black Cherry: Ch. Punch Buggy
  • Pay the Boatman: Lethe
  • Quarren: Ch. Madame Pele

Black Cherry and Quarren remain the only freshman sires to have a G1 winning 2yo, and the only sires with MSW’s. Since the initial post, Madame Pele (Quarren) has won the G1 Eternal Hope Breeders’ Stakes and finished 2nd or 3rd in the other BS 2yo Filly series races; she is up for 2022 2yo Filly honors. Black Cherry’s leading 2yo, Punch Buggy, ran 3rd in the G2 Seabiscuit Breeders’ Stakes since the initial post; he is up for 2022 2yo Colt honors. I will add an honorable mention for Pay the Boatman who has 1 SW with Lethe (G1W).

Again, for the nitpicky, removing Quarren’s MG1W daughter would reduce his progeny earnings to $441,150 and removing Punch Buggy would reduce Black Cherry to $303,800. Both would still make the top 5 list.

QUICK OVERVIEW

• Of the 16 freshman stallions, only 1 had no winners this year: Glorious Victory, but none have started this year.
  • Stallions with SP 2yo’s are Bernardini (Seekers Bay), Al Mundhir (Thamin), and Usain Bolt (Lightning Bolt, Can’t Keep Me).
  • Of the top 5 sires by leading win percentage, the cheapest at stud is Pay the Boatman at $2,500, followed by leading sire Quarren at $5,000. The most expensive stallions are Sponsored, Curlin and Bernardini at $25,000 each.
  • All leading freshman stallions this year have different sires. Black Cherry is the first and only son of FFCH. High Chances at stud.