Kentucky Derby 2018 (May 5) - Justify & Local Haunt

Now this is a very well known race, and has a lot of media coverage. In the game it will be on the same day as in real life.

The race is known in the United States as “The Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports” or “The Fastest Two Minutes in Sports” for its approximate duration, and is also called “The Run for the Roses” for the blanket of roses draped over the winner. It is the first leg of the American Triple Crown and is followed by the Preakness Stakes, then the Belmont Stakes. Unlike the Preakness and Belmont Stakes, which took hiatuses in 1891–1893 and 1911–1912, respectively, the Kentucky Derby has been run every consecutive year since 1875, even during both World Wars.

[align=center]The FF Kentucky Derby info:

Date
2022-05-05

Race
Kentucky Derby (Gr. 1)

Surface
Dirt

Distance
10 furlongs

Purse
$2,000,000[/align]

Links:

2018 Road to the Kentucky Derby Point Standings - Blood Horse

2018 Kentucky Derby - home page

Kentucky Derby - Wikipedia

Past winners in real life:

• 2015 - American Pharoah - Time: 2:03.02, track: fast, Triple Crown winner. He is also available in FF as a Famous Real-Life Stallion.
  • 2016 - Nyquist - Time: 2:01.31, track: fast.
  • 2017 - Always Dreaming - Time: 2:03.59 - , track condition: Wet Fast (sealed).

Past Final Furlong winners:

Any real life favourites? And Final Furlong contenders?

I have two aimed for the Derby: Ch. Lingerie, who beat the boys in the G1 Fountain of Youth Stakes this year, and G1 Florida Derby winner Local Haunt who seems to be coming into his own at the right time with 2 wins from 3 starts this year.

For the Oaks, I have Fendi (2nd in the G1 Fountain of Youth) and Harken who has won 2 of 3 starts this year.

I’ve only had 2 Derby contenders over the last…9ish years of play, with best finish coming from our champion mare Loewe who ran 2nd in last year’s running. Our other contender finished somewhere up the backstretch a few years ago.

Depending on how he does in the Wood tomorrow, Ch. Aristocracy may get a shot at it. 

I have one contender for the Kentucky Derby, Hollywood Linen. He’s won twice this year, once in an Ungraded stakes, and he was 3rd in the Florida Derby, so hoping he can pull off at least that in the Kentucky Derby. We shall see!

Looks interesting! I’m thinking of one but I also have other plans for him and he probably can’t do both…
I just noticed that there is also a Japanese and European “road to the Kentucky Derby” (see tabs on the Blood Horse page), and I really like the 4th on the Japanese list - a gorgeous colt Le Vent Se Leve. The page says he’s bay but he looks brown to me.

Stunning colt! Definitely a bay; distinct black points. :wink:

And beautifully named - someone wrote in the comments: “A quick google search shows that “Le Vent Se Leve” means “The Wind Rises” in French. “The Wind Rises” is a poem and Studio Ghibli movie.”
I recently saw another movie from Studio Ghibli, “The Red Turtle”. Probably not as good for a racehorse name :wink: but really nicely animated.

There is a page where you can watch live workouts of Derby contenders:

kentuckyderby.com/workouts/live

7am - 8am daily.

Already up to 11/14 slots filled for the FF Derby!

I’m rooting for Mendelssohn for the real derby but probably won’t have any other pics until I watch the coverage tomorrow.

Obviously rooting for my own Hollywood Linen haha!

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Rooting for Mendelssohn, Audible, Justify, and Magnum Moon! But especially Mendelssohn and Justify.

And fingers crossed for my own two kids in the FF Derby: Florida Derby winner Local Haunt (by recently retired Mr. Townsend), and the only filly in the field, Ch. Lingerie.

This is the first year I’ve been brave enough to enter TWO ponies - mostly because They both seemed equally ready and capable. It’s a bonus that both are homebreds that are BOTH by stallions I own and out of homebred mares.

First, we have Ch. With Gusto, sired by my retired stallion, V is for Victory, and out of a homebred Gimme A Shot mare. He won the Gr. 2 Louisville Breeders’ Cup over 7.5f dirt on April 25th. He’s showing as A/A for energy & fitness, so I think he’s as ready as he’s going to be!

Second, we have Ch. Lake Como, sired by my stallion, Bellagio, and out of my first ever homebred mare (a Highland Pride daughter). He won the G3 Derby Trial over 8.5f dirt on April 18th. He’s showing as A/B for energy & fitness, so I’m quite pleased with his prep up to this point.

Fingers crossed for some Derby luck!

Congratulations Shelbie for winning the Kentucky Derby with [color=blue]Ch. Local Haunt! Preakness Stakes next?!  ;D Your filly did pretty well too!

And our colt Ch. Bong Bong Bong, leased by Starfish Stables, finished 3rd/14!

Now, in nearly 11 hours we’ll know who is the real life winner…

Thanks! And yup, we’ll give the second leg a shot. Lingerie will head to the Tiara races instead. I have a backup Preakness horse just in case one or both bombed. :wink:
(First year having this level of fire power, haha).

Justify wins the Kentucky Derby!

twitter.com/KentuckyDerby/statu … 8219847680