July 24 Updates

• Updated stallion stat display to add abbreviation references (on hover)
  • Added percentage differences for stats to stallion pages (see below)
  • More backend script improvements
  • Updated database data

Assuming your stallion has all 4 stats (AEI/SI for both sire and broodmare sire),  you’ll see 4 percentages/arrows next to the comparision version of the stats (displayed on the right of the field).

If the arrow is green, it means he’s improving on the mares, relative to their other foals. If the arrow is red, it means he’s not improving on his mares, relative to their other foals.

So, for example, Jazz It Up (beta.finalfurlong.org/horses/jazz-it-up):
His AEI is 4.8, which means his foals earn 4.8x more money over their lifetime, on average, than other stallions.
His CI (comparable index) is 3.63. This means that when you take all the mares who have foals by Jazz It Up (Set In Her Ways, Whimsical Whirl, Lady Rogue, etc), and calculate the AEI for all of their other foals by different sires (e.g. Set For Luck, Keepmeinthedark, Set For Success, Worth A Million, Circle Game, and Gemini for Set In Her Ways), those foals’ average earnings come out at 3.63.

If you take 4.8/3.63, you get 1.32, which means that Jazz It Up is outperforming other stallions when bred to the same mares by 32%.

Conversely, as a broodmare sire, his AEI is 1.5, meaning his grandfoals (out of his daughters) earn 1.5x more money in their lifetime than average.
His CI for broodmare sire is 2.9, meaning that when you take the stallions his daughters have been bred to (Magic Glory, TakeMeToHollywood, What’s Debatable, and King David for daughter Jazz’ed) and calculate the AEI for all foals sired by them out of mares who are NOT by Jazz It Up, the total is 2.9.

If you take 1.5/2.9, you get 0.52, which means that Jazz It Up being outperformed by other broodmares sires when bred to the same stallios by 48%.

The same calculations apply for sire index (regular and broodmare sire). (Sire index calculates average earnings per start rather than lifetime earnings.)

I plan to add leaderboard/rankings for the stallions for various stats when I get time.

Impressive stuff although some of it baffles me. Just need to remember green is good, red not so much :slight_smile:

My head is spinning, but in a good way.
This is going to be quite helpful when planning breedings and getting an idea of how good/bad a stallion really is (although perception is a lot of it, too).

I love that the definitions for abbreviations was added - that’s helpful.  But do you think it might be possible to be able to click the abbreviations if you are still confused, and have a little window pop up with more explanation/definitions?  I suspect I’ll still be getting these confused for a while, and I would imagine new members (who won’t be able to find this thread by then) might also be utterly lost.

I haven’t even touched on documentation. I plan to add a lot of it, but want to do it in a nice, organized way (not just random bits here and there, and “oh, I wonder if this thing has more info on it - darn, it doesn’t”). For now, we’ll have to stick with “come to the forum, read posts, ask questions”, but before it’s out of beta there will be documentation of all sorts of things, including sire stats. :slight_smile:

Indeed. Helpful for the uber-math geeks, but it can boil down to “green good, red bad”. :slight_smile:

This is fantastic! Thanks, Shanthi!

Oooo…i likes, I likes.  :smiley:

Getting a handle on all these new stats and I have to say, its looking incredible.  I could see how something like this could be useful for real racing stables and breeding operations!