Japan Cup (Nov. 25) - Almond Eye & Cheeky Magic

There are two more “famous races” I wanted to write about, both long distance on turf. Most of these races were up to 10f on dirt, and next year I’ll probably group them so you can better plan the schedule for your horses (especially with less popular preference, like short distance steeplechase). Now, Japan Cup is coming, and the shortest routes (1 day by air) are from Australia, England and Santa Anita. If your horse is in Hong Kong you can ship by road (by the way, I was recently reading about the incredible Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge: a 55-kilometre (34 mi) bridge–tunnel system consisting of a series of three cable-stayed bridges, an undersea tunnel, and four artificial islands. It is both the longest sea crossing and the longest fixed link on earth).
Japan Cup is the same surface and distance as Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. So, is [color=red]Ch. Autumn Red coming, [member=1299]Shelbie[/member] ? The real life Arc winner Enable has just won Breeders’ Cup Turf, so she’s having some rest now.

[align=center]The FF Japan Cup info:

Date
2022-11-28

Race
Japan Cup (Gr. 1)

Surface
Turf

Distance
12 furlongs

Purse
$3,500,000[/align]

Links:

Japan Cup - Horse Racing in Japan

Japan Cup - Wikipedia

Past winners in real life:

• 2015 - Shonan Pandora
  • 2016 - Kitasan Black
  • 2017 - Cheval Grand

Past Final Furlong winners:

I’ve got 2 aimed at the Japan Cup this year. Both are probably long shots, but have shown potential for a good run.

First is [color=blue]Blue Angel Fighter, a 4YO son of Blue Smoke, who won the 8f G1 All Aged Stakes last month with an SF of 310. 12f will the the longest he’s ever run, so we’ll see if he can handle the distance.

Second is [color=blue]Bon Nuit, a 4YO son of Candidate out of a Lucky Cigar mare, who won the 7.5f ungraded Mohawk Stakes last month with an SF of 232.

Both are lightly raced but bred for a wide range of distances and showing promise, so I’ll be interested to see how they run.

Nope, Autumn Red is taking a breather for the rest of the year. :slight_smile: I do have 2 aimed for the race, though:

[color=red]Ch. Marchioness just won the G1 BC Filly & Mare Turf, and she ran 2nd in this year’s G1 Irish Derby at 12f so I know she can get the Japan Cup distance.

More of a longshot is [color=blue]Caleuche who was 3rd last out in the G3 Hill Prince Stakes. He hasn’t gone beyond 10f before but I think he’ll like the extra distance. Also helps he hasn’t raced since June, so he should be raring to go.

Entries are now open and it’s going to be a big day in Final Furlong, with all the Breeders’ Stakes races and also Cigar Mile at Aqueduct.

As for the real life Japan Cup, here are some details: Japan Cup (G1) - Preview. I think my favourite is Suave Richard, because of name :wink: which reminds me of Richard Parker, the tiger in “Life of Pi”.

I was recently reading on someone’s blog that they went to Japan recently for holidays, and I think that if I had a chance, I’d definitely go to see the sophisticated hi-tech Japanese races. The blogger also admired delicious food, a museum of art and technology just minutes away from otter habitat, and the well-organized, multicultural and safe Singapore.

Girlpower again! Almond Eye wins the real life Japan Cup in record time 2:20.6, 1.5 seconds faster than the previous record set by Alkaased in 2005. Kiseki was rushed to the front before the initial turn, set the pace and extended his lead up to three lengths in the backstretch, kicked into gear in the homestretch but proved no match for the winner while driving home well holding off Suave Richard by 3-1/2 lengths for second.

Video: 2018 - Japan Cup - Almond Eye

It’s tomorrow! 12 horses are entered, two Grand Champions among them: 7yo gelding GCh. Thisdevilsonfire and 6yo mare GCh. Secret Lady. Both belong to Gant’s Farm, and it will be their first start this year. There are also six Champions entered: among them 5yo stallion Ch. It’s Not You, who just won Gr. 1 Mercedes Classic in Australia (same track and distance as Japan Cup). There is 5yo mare Ch. Pretty Please, who easily won Gr. 1 Sword Dancer Invitational (11.5f on turf) this summer. 4yo filly Ch. Discovery won Gr. 3 Launceston Cup this year, which is one furlong longer on turf. 3yo filly Ch. Marchioness won 10.0f Gr. 1 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf, becoming a millionaire this year. 3yo colt Ch. Oban won 14.0f Gr. 3 VRC St. Leger in his last start, in Australia. Chance of rain is 15%. Good luck everyone!
Also the Breeders’ Stakes races and Cigar Mile look filled with many great horses.

Congratulations Starfish Stables for the win with Ch. Cheeky Magic, now a multi-millionaire! He also scored a speed record, like Almond Eye in real life. And an insane speed figure of 522. It was his third race this year, the other two he finished off the board.
2nd in this race was the oldest runner, GCh. Thisdevilsonfire, and the longshot Ch. Caleuche finished 3rd.