How'd You Do? 2025

This was such a nice reprieve after the money burner that was the Select Auction. Amazingly picked up 4 for 1k each, and almost all were top choices.

Espiritu (GCh. Spiritofsaintluis x Ch. Frolic With Flames), dark bay yearling colt. Interested to see how Spiritofsaintluis does as a sire. Damsire is My Lucky Day, who is gold-ranked, and dam is half to 7 black-type runners.

Kiss and Tell (GCh. Turnpike Wannabe x GCh. Blue Eyed Girl), blue roan weanling filly. Very excited to bring her home. Only race-age half-sibling is unraced, but dam was a MSW of $2.3M and is out of a Platinum mare. Name inspired by the granddam, Expressway Kiss.

Marked for Glory (NCh. Ablative Armour x Capture the Glory), dark bay weanling colt. Not sure on the name. Half to MSW Ch. Pronto Pike and SW Ch. Glory Days. I really like Ablative Armour, so wanted to snag this boy.

Twenty Carat (GCh. All that Appeal x Sunset Boulavarde), strawberry roan yearling filly. All That Appeal has already sired 9 black type foals from his first crop of 2yos (making 50% of his started 2yo’s black type), and I’m excited to see what he will do with gold-ranked damsire Strider. I’m also a huge sucker for strawberry roans in this game.

Over the moon with our purchases and how relatively easy they were to come by. These yearlings will undoubtedly give us a foothold next year while we gain back the losses we sustained during a very long hiatus from the game…

GottaGetTheBlue (ICh. Blue Smoke x Gotta Triumph) Both parents are solidly silver-rated, and with a January birthday and having already reached her minimum height, it looks like this lovely bay filly will be ready to run early in the season. She was an absolute steal for a measly $1000.

Irish Storm (NCh. Irish Gold x Outrun the Wind) With a 3.1-rated sire across only a half-raced brood, and a gold-rated dam, this colt is primed to kick up some serious dirt. He has a January 2 birthday (!), and he’s already reached his minimum height. I look forward to seeing what he can do as soon as he’s agreeable to being raced. He was claimed for $21K, which is still an utter bargain.

Worth Some Karats (NCh. Eighteen Karat x Ch. IrresistibleZephyr) This pretty black colt is the grandson of three Silver-rated parents, and the Gold-rated What’s It Worth. He’s another January-born baby who’s reached what we think will be his mature height. He’s his dam’s first foal, and we think he’ll make a great start. Just $1000.

Black Warbird (ICh. Starling x Sheeza Warrior) An early February baby who’s reached his mature height. What luck for us! He’s the grandson of both Gold-rated Black Warrior and powerhouse mare WCh. Highland Raven. He’s the spitting image of his sire and his paternal granddam, so his name is very fitting. Our most expensive purchase at $26K.

Running Man (NCh. Run Jenny Run x Ch. Ciggy) This little colt is split across Gold and Silver-rated grandparents, and his dam’s other foals have done well considering how relatively little they’ve been raced. We think he’ll live up to his name once he matures a little–he’s still a good inch away from maturity. He was a great bonus purchase at $1K.

Still waiting for one, but happy with these boys so far!

Fire Engine Red (California Chrome x Ch. Crimson and Silver), sire’s oldest crop is 2022 and already performing quite well. Dam only has one foal that isn’t managed by FF but is out of a gold-ranked mare and 1/2 to 9 titled horses. This cross also tied into so many colorful naming ideas! $1,500

License To Kill (Gun Runner x Ch. Little Miss Gunner), both sire and dam are unproven but damline is full of talent - Little Miss Gunner is 1/2 to 6 other Ch. titled horses and 4 silver+ ranked mares. Hoping there’s some of that talent in this fella. $1,000

Fool For The Night (FFCh. I’m No Fool x Bella Notta), I’m quite curious to see how his lines add up - even though both sire and BM sire have lots of foals, there are no other sire/BM sire crosses in the game or even Foolhardy/Rainbow related crosses that I could find. I wanted to add another horse by I’m No Fool to my string and Bella Notta is out of a gold-ranked mare with lots of talented horses in her lines even though it’s heavy on FF owned horses. $20,000

Haka (NCh. Holy Warrior x Ch. Lindy Hop), Lindy Hop is a dance, so it only made sense to name this guy after a warrior dance. Holy Warrior has not enjoyed the greatest success as a sire yet, but lots of his offspring is quite inactive. Lindy Hop doesn’t have any active racing offspring yet but is out of a golden ranked mare and earned her champion title with just 15 races so she’s packing some talent. $1,000

1 Like

Love these names!

1 Like

Picked up one more to support Venture His Due:

Devil’s Mark (GCh. Venture His Due x NCh. Devilish Lass), bay weanling colt. Out of a MSW mare and half to SW Careless Wisp. Dam is half to MSW’s NCh. Devil May Care and Ch. HollywoodTrademark, and half to gold-ranked Ch. Devil’s Own (dam of Devil His Due and 5 other MSW’s). He is bred 5x3 to gold-ranked Devil’s Trademark. Bought for 1k.

I didn’t really have time to look deep into the pedigrees, so I just went for dams and sires with high titles… at least they could run!
Got three:

Up Your Game (ICh. Gunningdownromance x Ch. Tie Me Up), a chestnut yearling colt.

Unholy (NCh. Ducati x GCh. Anglesite), brown yearling colt.

Lost On You (WCh. Usain Bolt x Ch. Lost Opportunity), grey yearling filly.

Only picked up 3 this time and mostly for the Dam’s titles, also a steal at only $1k each.

WaltzOfSnowflakes (Frosted x GCh. Uncanny Yodel) dark grey yearling filly named after the Nutcracker Ballet. Frosted is a RL stallion that is currently the fastest ever G1 Met Mile Winner. Dam is a MSW, MSP & Multi-Millionaire SC runner. Curious to see what this little filly will bring.

USS Blue Ridge (GCh. Naval Commander x GCh. Longevity) dark bay weanling colt named after the US Navy’s oldest operational ship still in service. Sire is G1 SW on dirt and Dam is MSW & MSP on dirt and turf with both parents liking sprint and classic distance. Dam is Silver ranked at 5.0. Hoping this little guy will add another titled winner to his parents stats.

Metalizado Oro (ICh. Calle de Oro x WCh. Metallic Jade) bay weanling filly. Sire is G1 on dirt at all distances. Dam is MSW, MSP & Multi-Millionaire on dirt and turf at sprint and classic distance. Fingers crossed for a little dirt monster

Thank you! I’m a fan of your Kiss and Tell myself.

Picked up 5 horses, spent $5k. Now that’s how I prefer it :sweat_smile: Especially since the filly I splurged on earlier this year hasn’t lifted a hoof on the track.

Plus I wanted to get a lot of babies, especially yearlings. I missed two years’ worth of breeding crops while I was MIA, and next year will be our first year without any homebred two-year-olds. I want to have at least a handful of new starters running.

Force Lightning (ICh. Gunningdownromance x Force Within) is a liver chestnut yearling filly. She’s an April filly and currently stands 14.2hh with small parents, so she’ll likely wait and mature a while before running next year. Her dam was SP as a steeplechaser at 3, and is untested as a broodmare but has all silver/platinum lines. Damsire Slew O’Scots sired MSWs on dirt, turf, and SC, so there’s really no telling what she’ll like best. Bought for $1k.

As The World Turns (NCh. AndLikeThatHesGone x BurnTheTurn) is a chestnut yearling colt. He’s at his min height already, and will run next April. I have a soft spot for Turn’n’Burn as a damsire because of my MSP 2-year-old A Smart Choice, and have had one successful two-year-old by AndLikeThatHesGone, so I’m hoping that he’ll have a good first season in 2026. $1k

Kobayashi (NCh. Eighteen Karat x Söze) is a flea-bitten grey yearling filly. I have a MSP six-year-old by Eighteen Karat this year, and we don’t usually have luck in stakes, so I decided to snag this filly. First foal for an untested mult-winner dam. She’s on the small side, so we’ll see if she has a growth spurt before April. I named her for a villain in The Usual Suspects, a movie I have not seen, lol. $1k

Ebony Black (NCh. Straticus x Battered Goods) is a black yearling filly. Her dam’s silver rank seems to be sort of a fluke, since most of her foals are unraced, so there’s really no telling what she’ll do, but Straticus has been a great sire from what I’ve seen so we’ll play it by ear. $1k

Movie Quest (ICh. Starling x Ozma) is a bay weanling colt. His dam is gold-ranked, and Rainbow Quest is a silver-ranked broodmare sire. He’s a little guy right now, but his parents are 16.2 and 17 hh so I’m sure he’ll shoot up. Excited for him to run in 2027. $1k

There’s a few I have my eye on to go back for too, if the limit increases!

1 Like

I had my eye on two colts before the auction started and thought one or both would sell for near to the spending limit so I’m quite surprised at having managed to snag both and have some change to spare. Ended up coming home with 5 in total, three yearling colts and two weanling fillies.

Grandeur - by Frankel out of Brilliant Moment (Chivalry). Second foal for MW, MP dam who’s half to Lucky Streak. Her 3yo is currently unplaced under FF management. I’m hoping with some proper training this guy will at least earn back his purchase price. $33,500

Elfhame. By Changeling out of silver ranked Arien (Strider). Fourth foal. Eldest half-sibling is GCh Wind Surfer who’s one stakes win away from stud qualification (although currently with FF and unraced since 2023). Only other sibling to race is MP this year under FF management. $30,500

Annwn by Tir Na Nog out of Good As Gold (Void). Our cheapest colt purchase at $1000, which means he will most likely be the best of the three! Tir Na Nog’s first crop are 2yo and he’s made a nice start with 10 winners from 21 runners. The dam line is really strong, both his second and third dams are gold ranked. His dam is MSP and he’s her second foal. Older sibling is MP under FF management.

Spring Special By Unabridged out of Black Cluster (Alley Cat). With Unabridged now retired I was quite keen to get this filly as the sire/damsire cross seems quite promising. Dam was MW, MP on the track and has two winners, one of which is stakes placed, from her two runners to date. $31,000

Kiss Chase By Run Jenny Run out of Kiss Of Death (Ace of Hearts). The only foal to date for her MSP dam, who’s a half sister to Turnpike Wannabe. Second dam is half to NCh The Fighting Fifty and our own broodmare Ch Kissing Point who’s showing some promise with her early runners. A bargain at $1,000.

2 Likes

To be honest I got busy with life and totally forgot about the auction, so I came into it a few days late. That being said, I’m really happy with the ones I went home with.

Armed And Ready (Navel Commander x Kera) is a blue roan yearling colt. This is his dam’s first foal, but she was a multiple stakes winner on dirt during her racing career. I feel like my barn has slowly been shifting to turf and steeplechase horses, so my main goal of the auction was to pick up some more dirt prospects. Bought for $1K

Lap Of Luxury (Bellagio x Lucifer’s Charm) is a dark bay yearling filly. This is her dam’s first foal, but she was a good steeplechase racer (and holds a steeplechase speed record). I was pretty excited about her pedigree, and regardless of her racing ability I plan on keeping her as a broodmare. My most expensive purchase of the sale, bought for $40,500.

Vertex (Quintet x Brightest Light) is a bay yearling filly. Dam was a multiple stakes winner on turf, and 75% of her foals are winners. Her sire is a silver breeding rank, and was a turf racer as well. This filly is still very small compared to her projected height, and I’m suspecting she will be a late bloomer. Bought for $1K.

Bayou Esprit (Lake Highlands x Black Lotus) is a dark grey yearling colt. His dam’s foals haven’t been successful on the track yet, but both parents were successful dirt racers. Bought for $1K.

Electric Slide (Eighteen Karat x Electric Avenue) is a bay yearling colt. His dam preferred dirt, and this is her first foal. His sire is silver ranked, and has produced 22 stakes winners and 2 millionaires. I’m not going to lie, I love his dam’s name and had the song stuck in my head for a while, which inspired me to name him after a song as well. I couldn’t believe the name wasn’t taken! Bought for $1K.

If the purchase limit increases, I also have my eye on a few other horses. :wink:

Darn it! I was so focussed on keeping below the $100,000 spending limit, that I forgot to check on the number of horses limit. I’ve already won 3 horses and have the winning bids in 3 more, so, unless Shanthi increases the number limit within the next 5 hours, I guess that I’ll lose one of the last three.

Darn! I’ve definitely done that at other auctions before. :cry:

I just couldn’t stay away…picked up 2 more :sweat_smile:

Vignette Stonemoss (NCh. Exit Poll x Ch. Bea Godsall) chestnut yearling filly named after the fairy with the Irish accent in Carnival Row. Standing at 14.2h she’s already close to her lowest projected height of 14.3h - 15.3h. Sire is a SC runner and Dam raced all surfaces.

HMS Resolute (GCh. Naval Commander x Phantasmagoria) bay yearling colt named after the British Royal Navy ship found in 1854, abandoned by the crew, of whom no trace was ever found, and adrift at sea. Her timbers were used to construct the Resolute desk, which has been used by American presidents in the Oval Office since. This guy is already standing at 16.1h with 16.3h being his max projected height. He’s likely to start racing early on next year.

Bid on 2, promptly forgot about the auction, some how managed to walk away with one for $1,000.

Independant is a 15.3h dark grey filly by Edinburgh out of a Chivalry mare. She still has some growing to do, but she was born in January (the day before my birthday!) so we’ll see how she’s looking in April when the 2YO races open. I have had phenomenal results with the Edinburgh foals. Currently I have my mare Towering Clover who is “stud qualified” and 3YO stakes winner National Covenant. Independant’s dam has only ever been owned by Final Furlong and was a winner from ages 2-4. She finished her career over 50% OTB, even though she was campaigned by Final furlong. All in all, I think this one’s got strong potential.

1 Like

Picked up number 5 a few days ago, but wasn’t too sure about the name yet.

Lake Titicaca (NCh. Lake Highlands x Ch. Top O’ the Mornin’), her pedigree is full of latebloomers, so I’m expecting her to peak around 4-5 only. Her dam is half to one GCh and 3 other Ch. titled horses. Olders 1/2 sibling is only 3 so no telling yet if that talent will run down the pedigree. $1,000

HMS Resolute (GCh. Naval Commander x Phantasmagoria) bay yearling colt named after the British Royal Navy ship found in 1854, abandoned by the crew, of whom no trace was ever found, and adrift at sea. Her timbers were used to construct the Resolute desk, which has been used by American presidents in the Oval Office since. This guy is already standing at 16.1h with 16.3h being his max projected height. He’s likely to start racing early on next year.

I like how you have a naming theme going that incorporates little tidbits of history! Very cool!

1 Like

Shanthi - Are you planning on increasing the horse limit for this auction? I had accidentally bid on six horses so could only get 5 of them. The 6th, View Horse: is showing as sold to Final Furlong.

If you are planning to increase the limit, is there any chance that you could change the status of that horse? Thanks.

Do we know if the horse limit is going to increase? The auction ends today

@Shanthi