How'd You Do? 2024

Kept it small this year with an emphasis on fillies by RL studs.

Empressina, chestnut weanling (Straticus x Fancy Fleet - Fleet Street). Out of a MSP mare who has produced 100% winners. Dam set a speed record at SC, but was SP at turf sprints so we’ll see. June baby and Straticus wasn’t much of a runner at 2, so thinking she’ll be a late bloomer. Bought for $1,500.

Grey Goose, flea-bitten gray yearling (American Pharoah x Prime Number). Half to a SW and a SP, with her 2 non-winning half-siblings being FF-owned/campaigned. Dam was MSW and a millionaire. Most expensive at $20,500.

Thy Will Be Done, liver chestnut weanling (Gun Runner x Home From the War - Man O’War). I wanted to pick up a Gun Runner, and I’ve had a lot of luck with Man O’War-lined mares. Half to a SW 3yo and a SP 2yo (both inactive). Another June baby, so likely a late bloomer. Bought for $1,000.

Only one for me this time although lots of lovely horses to choose from. Managed to get my top choice.

FairytaleOfNewYork Weanling filly by California Chrome out of GCh Fanfare. Dam has five living foals, four of which have raced. This filly is half to two MSW in GCh Archipelago and Ch Far Crown and SW, MSP Salute who only raced at 3 and has since been inactive with FF. Hopefully this filly will share some of the family talent.

We purchased our Christmas tree yesterday and had the Christmas tunes on whilst we were decorating hence the filly’s name. It’s the title of quite an iconic Christmas song in the UK although I’m not sure if it’s well know elsewhere?

3 Likes

Looking back at my earlier purchases - Xaspian will debut later this month; it took him a while to grow. Rhizome ran five times this year, and his best result was a 3rd place most recently. Vandana Shiva broke her maiden a month ago in Australia, and will run there again soon.

This year I bought:

Indiana (WCh. Express Yourself x Ch. Ethereal Stars) 16.2h bay yearling filly born in February. Should be a dirt classic-endurance runner and has already reached her minimum height. She has two full siblings; a mult. winner colt and a weanling filly.

Wataha (Dubawi x GCh. Charming Dance) grey 14.2h yearling filly born in June. She may be tiny but in fact she’s near her minimal expected height. Half sister to a number of champions and winners. Wataha means a “pack of wolves”.

Zoroaster (NCh. Sunday Paper x Ch. Spanish Rose) 15.1h dark bay yearling colt born in July. Both his parents were best as steeplechasers, but he might have some talent on turf.

Paid $1,000 for each and I’m still waiting for one bid.

It’s certainly well-known here in Ireland :wink: though I can’t recall hearing it that much prior to moving across the pond.

2 Likes

I got the last one - spent almost all the money on her! I love auctions with spending and horse limits :wink:

Primadonna (ICh. Dr. Evil x Ch. Dirty Deeds) is a 15.0h flea-bitten grey filly born in April, and she almost reached her expected height. Her oldest half sibling ran just once, and finished 3rd.

Price was $90,500.

1 Like

Broke my filly rule and went back for one more. My weanling count is officially insane at 110.

Faulkner, brown weanling (Franco Classico x Witness to Freedom - Witness). I don’t own any Franco Classico foals (yet), and this colt is half to a multi-winning 2yo I own. Bought for 1k.

Overall, spent $23,000 for 4 horses.

Good luck with Primadonna Hilda, really liked look of her but was up to my $ limit…
Pleased with the three I got
Dark Army colt (Dark Demand x Preemtive Strike)
Hey Fool colt(Im No Fool x Double The Trouble)
Nurse One filly(Dr Evil x Give The Slip)

All three look like they should come into their own over 8-10f on the dirt from 3yo onwards
only spent around 10k so far

1 Like

I made my gamble for the year. Lost out on one of my two picks because I completely forgot this auction was happening at first, but threw all my budget at my other pick.

I’ve given him the placeholder name of Tipping Towers, weanling colt of Curlin and created mare, Pushin Buttons. He’s half brother to one of my favorite mares, GCh. Towering Clover.

Pushin Buttons is FF owned but still has 63% winners, including two multi-stakes winners. Curlin currently has 65% winners. If this colt performs half as well as Towering Clover, he should more than pay for himself. (At least, that’s the hope, right? Lol.)

1 Like

I wondered why no one else had bid on him when i put mine in! he must have been waiting for you! :blush: Looks like I have good taste though, all the ones i was interested in sold for 80.000 plus and two for 100,000! Never mind I have too many anyway :grin: :smiley: :smile:

Haha. Yeah, there were some beauties on the market this year. I’ve been keeping an eye out for other Pushin Buttons foals ever since Towering Clover really proved her worth. She’s been a star in my stable since her 3YO year.

Good luck with him! :blush:

1 Like