How'd you do 2018

Still waiting on two, but I already bought two from my initial shopping list:

[color=red]Extraordinary - 3yo black created filly with four stockings and a bald face, bought because she’s pretty and I like her name :stuck_out_tongue: among other reasons :wink: she seems to run at stakes level under Final Furlong ownership, and I think she’s a nice broodmare prospect.

[color=red]Nadira - 4yo bay mare by NCh. Lasting Spirit, out of Cat’s Point (Point Given). She’s unraced this year, but stakes level too. I’ll probably race her until the end of the year and breed her next year.

I was also bidding on NCh. Issasecret, which went to Cricket Hill - congrats! I gave up having already NCh. Queen from last year’s auction, and her amazing daughter. I also wanted a weanling filly by FFCh. High Chances, but didn’t want to pay much more than his stud fee :stuck_out_tongue: and decided that there is already a lot of yearlings/weanlings at my barn. Now I’m only waiting for two created broodmares.

I keep getting outbid, and going back to look over the auction list again. This time, though, I’m done. Really…I think. :wink:

I meant to explicitly not look at mares because I hoard way too much already, and of course, the 4 I’ve taken home are all girls (some in foal). Sigh. At least they’re pretty…

[color=red]GOLDEN QUEST - 11yo daughter of Rainbow Quest (G) and Heart of Gold (S). She’s half-sister to stallion Eighteen Karat, plus over half-dozen other stakes-level ponies. She was a winner on the track at age 3 and 4, and stakes placed at age 4 and 5, so not too shabby. She’s had 5 foals so far, including MSW GCh. Incandescent (by Candidate). She’s in foal to High Chances, due March 2019. Got her for $300,500, which I still think is a bargain given her bloodlines and produce record.

[color=red]KISS OF INDY - 8yo daughter of A.P. Indy (S) and Kiss ‘n’ Tell (B). She’s half-sister to SW Fairy Godmother (whom we also own - only realised that after I bought her!) and SW Ch. I’ll Never Tell, plus a couple of stakes placed ponies. She was a stakes winner at 3 on the track herself. Produce-wise she has one foal to race, 3yo Ch. Fool’s Kiss (by Foolhardy) who’s won 4 stakes races this year. She’s in foal to Broad Account, due August 2019. Got her for $200,500.

[color=red]PROMISE OF NIGHT - 3yo daughter of WCh. Nightfight (G) and Ch. Broken Promises (G). She’s half-sister to stakes placed Ch. Deal Me Out. Last year she won 3 stakes races, and this year she’s placed twice in stakes races so far. Looking forward to seeing what she’ll do on the track and in the shed. Got her for $251,000.

[color=red]BEHIND THE SCENES - weanling daughter of Empire Maker and Flash Photography (S). She’s half-sister to MSW GCh. Aperture, and a half-dozen other stakes-level ponies (including Ch. Rebel Yell whom we purchased earlier this year). Excited to see what she’ll do on the track in 2020 and beyond. Got her for $50,000.

Also, good luck to the new owners of Stillwater ponies. I hope they all flourish in their new homes. :slight_smile:

My usual method for the Select Auction is create a list of everything you like, let the first 2-3 days of bidding instantly knock out 99% of your list with horses going super out of your price range, then see what’s left, haha. No taxes this year helps!

Still bidding on one, but in the meantime picked up [color=blue]Boston Lager, a weanling son of NCh. Conflagration (B) out of the create mare Ch. Hashin’ Out a Song, a G3 winner and multiple G1 and G3 placed. Her only foal to hit the track so far is GCh. Straticus, a 4yo who has won over $1.6 mill.

Two other mares which I found later.

[color=red]Ch. All Too Divine - 8yo grey broodmare, created. Grade 1 winner. In foal to ICh. Can’t Touch This, and I really wanted to have his foal, but he’s far away in Australia. Her next date might be with NCh. Al Mundhir.

[color=red]Ch. In Truth - 11yo dapple grey broodmare, created, in foal to Rock of Gibraltar. She has a speed record on turf and also ran at graded stakes level.
And they’re both pretty!

Our final purchase has completed and I’m really pleased with the ponies we ended up with. Despite missing out on top choice [color=red]Issasecret we came home with three of our top four choices.

[color=red]TakeMeToTheWizard is a 5yo daughter of TakeMeToHollywood and platinum ranked mare Highland Sorceress making her half to NCh Highland Wizard (one of my favourites), recently retired Ch Magic Cross, NCh Seattle Sorcerer, GCh Rhiannon and WCh Black Magic. A pedigree to die for and I love her name. She is SW, MSP herself but has shown little in the last year or so and is likely to be heading to the paddocks. She was our most expensive purchase at $600,500.

[color=red]Hoodwinked is another one who’s name I love. Another one with a great pedigree, she’s a 3yo by Foolhardy out of a MSW, MSP half sister to NCh Sneak Peek and WCh Double Cross. She is MSP on the track. Cost $150,500.

[color=red]GCh Kill The King is a 10yo created mare in foal to Lucky Streak. She was MSW, MSP on the turf and holds three speed records. She was effective over short distances so should make a nice match for either Blue Smoke or Quarren. A bargain at $25,000.

I hadn’t any intention of bringing home a stud but after being outbid on a couple of nice mares I figured I might as well try for [color=blue]Lasting Spirit. A 12yo son of Killing Time, he already has a stud qualified son and a silver ranking in the shed. As he’s from more unusual lines he should cross well with our existing mares. Cost a relatively cheap $85,500.

Last in was a bit of an afterthought. [color=red]Java Bar is a 4yo MSP daughter of Sneak Peek from quite a strong dam line. Her starting times are quite slow but she has some good speed figures so I’m hoping that means she hasn’t reached her peak yet. Cost $25,000.

Added just one more:

[color=blue]Future Plans[/url] is a 3yo son of NCh. Sneak Peak out of the create mare Blueprint. He’s raced 6 times this year for a 0-4-2-0 return including running 3rd in a G2 in May. We’ll rest him up then hit the maidens and NW1’s.

Found one more…you guessed it, another broodmare!

[color=red]TITANIUM ANGEL - 9yo created mare. She was almost undefeated at 4, including a stakes race. Only one start at 6. Since then she’s had two colts, a yearling by Smart Strike and a weanling by Prince of Wonder. She’s unbred for 2018, so we’ll get her in foal next spring. Got her for $25,000.

Ok me too :wink:

[color=red]Ch. Sugar ‘n’ Spice - 7yo dark bay broodmare, created. In foal to retired stallion GCh. My Lucky Day. She will be bred to our home stallion next.

Added another three  ::)

[color=red]Bold Queen is an 8yo daughter of Bold Ruler. She’s SW, MSP with one foal on the ground. Not in foal so will be bred early next year.

[color=red]Love Letters is a 7yo daughter of AP Indy. Also SW, MSP, she is foal to V is for Victory.

[color=blue]Lupin, a 4yo stakes placed son of Candidate. Won or placed in four of his six starts this year.

Good luck with them, Emma. :slight_smile: I looked at all 3 (but succeeded in resisting).

Thank you. I was only intending to go for Bold Queen but as usual found some more pretty ones!

Well I told myself I wasn’t going to buy any horses and what did I do?! Go and buy 3 of them! However, I only spent $55,000 this year and got at least one bargain I know of. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Pressed For Time (ICh. Stressed X WCh. Worth My Time)
This girl is breeding shed worthy for sure and only 3 years old to boot.  It’s not like she’s done terribly this year so we are hoping we can earn back her $25,000 price tag, which we feel was a super duper bargain.

[color=green]Mr. Mooney (Moonover Boy X Native Dreams)
We didn’t even really look at this guys pedigree when we bought him.  At 4 years old and having placed in a stakes race this year we feel the $5,000 price tag has a good chance of being earned back.  He also won the claimer he was last entered in which is a good sign.

[color=blue]Dizzy Rhythm (Worth My While X Earth Angel)
This guy was probably my biggest gamble costing $25,000 at 4 years old.  He’s had 5 starts this year under FF silks and won one and placed second in two more.  The two races he didn’t do well in were on the turf so we’re hoping a permanent switch to the dirt and some TLC will turn this guy into a decent racer.

Good luck with her! If I weren’t trying to cut down on the hoarding tendencies I’d have kept her. :wink: (I get bonus points for selling more horses than I bought, right??)

Thanks! I had a good feeling about her. :slight_smile:  And yes you do get bonus points for selling more than buying…I’m having a really hard time right now selecting for my “coming 2yo auction”.  I need to sell 40 and only have 19 on the list right now…lol.

So of course we picked up another. At least it’s a boy this time. :wink:

[color=blue]TREZENE - 4yo stallion by Octagonal (B) and Ch. Highland Freedom. He’s unraced, so who knows what he can do, but his mom won a stakes race and we’ve had decent luck with Octagonal. Got him for $5,000, so worth a gamble.

I actually forgot the Select Auction was going on so I came in late and decided to zero in on the cheapest I can find.

Picked up [color=red]All of the Lights, a pretty dark bay weanling filly by Starzen (B) - Running Lights (S) for $25,000. She’s a half-sister to two stakes winners.

Have a bid on one more horse.

I made two bids on the final day for [color=blue]Peculiarity and [color=green]Apt Witness but did not receive them. Their reserve was $5000 which is what I bid but they still show up as being owned by Final Furlong.

I made the bids with around 18-19 hours left in the auction so I don’t know if they didnt get processed because a whole 24 hours didn’t pass?

John, I’ve set them for sale to you - the script that deletes finished auctions collided with the script that sells sold horses.

Thanks  :slight_smile:

I missed most of the auction due to the hospital stay and caring for our new munchkin, but I did pop in long enough to put bids in on two (just to get them out of FF’s hands):

[color=red]SIMPLY NORDIC - dark bay yearling filly
SIRE: ICh. Sleipnir {B} (NCh. Lucky Cigar {G} x NCh. You Belong {G})
DAM: Simply Native (Native Dancer {S} x Crucial Move {G})
Not only is she by our new stallion, but this filly is out of a young stakes-placed mare who is 1/2 to MSW WCh. Subzero Justice.  She was previously unnamed.

[color=blue]FRED ASTAIRE - dark bay weanling colt
SIRE: ICh. Sleipnir {B} (NCh. Lucky Cigar {G} x NCh. You Belong {G})
DAM: Ballroom Dancer {B} (Mr. Prospector {S) x Secret Admirer {B})
This boy is also by our new stallion.  His dam is a young stakes-placed 1/2 sister to MSW GCh. Sudoku.  He was also previously unnamed.