How'd You Do? 2017

Happy Holidays all! I’ve been away for most of this fall, for happy personal reasons, but I’m happy to be back where bargains on new ponies are concerned. :wink:

ThisTypeofThinking, by [color=blue]ICh. What’s Your Point (G) out of [color=red]Ch. SplashedWithFlair, was my first acquisition for $20.5K. She’s been renamed [color=red]What’sYourNumber.

Next was SunnyD by [color=blue]FFCh. High Chances (G) out of [color=red]Affirmed Challenge. He’s been renamed [color=blue]Caber Toss, the most famous kind of Scottish challenge I could think of.  :wink:

Shortly after [color=blue]Caber Toss we won the bid on [color=blue]Blue Hawaii, a grey colt by [color=blue]Blue Ensign (S) out of [color=red]Ch. Sunset Crown.

Apologies to Easter Valley Estates, who tried to bid on all three horses within a minute or two of each other. I’m flattered you like my choice of horses so much! ;D

Good luck with your What’s Your Point filly!

Still waiting for my bids to run out of time :slight_smile:

I think that this is my most successful foal auction, but we shall see when they start running :wink:
I bought two yearling fillies and of course renamed them to something Spanish - this time they are named after two autonomous communities in Spain.

[color=red]Euskal Herria - 15.0h bay filly by NCh. Carrowmore, out of Ch. Final Battle (Assault), bred by Battle Hill Farm. She should be between 15.3h - 16.3h so doesn’t have much to grow. Dam has 6 speed records and a stakes win, and is out of Gold ranked Grande Finale, dam of ICh. Dr. Evil.
“Euskal Herria” means Basque Country.
Purchased for $19,500.

[color=red]La Rioja - 15.1h dark bay filly with four stockings, by GCh. High On Love out of Ch. Into The Pink, bred by Menelya. La Rioja still has some to grow, should be 16.1h - 17.1h. Currently both her parents are silver ranked, dam is mult. stakes placed and has a speed record.
“La Rioja” is a province in the north of the Iberian Peninsula, famous for its wine.
Purchased for $55,500.

This year we’re playing the “Get new blood, buy very few, and buy cheaply” cards. We don’t typically buy weanlings from the foal auction, but that’s all we’ve done so far! We also seemed to hit the Australian sires.

[color=blue]Silmarillion - 12.1hh brown weanling colt by Strider out of Wrapped Around.
Originally named Hoag’s Object, we purchased him to add some Strider into the herd. His dam is a create, and her oldest foal is just a yearling but she won 213k on the track from 33 starts and set two speed records. Purchased for 1k.

[color=blue]Untouched - 12.1hh dark bay weanling colt by Can’t Touch This out of Twin Rivers (Twin Oaks).
I’ve been hunting down Twin Oaks horses and this grandson was too hard to ignore! Out of freshman stallion Can’t Touch This, whose first crop was just born this year. Twin Rivers’ best year was at 2, but she set 2 speed records and was stakes placed. She’s a half-sister to a MSW and 2 SP’s, as well as Easy River – dam of a MSW from 4 foals; 3 have won – and Downbythebay (S). We might rename him, but for now we’ll leave him be. Purchased for 1k.

Might browse the sale for a filly or 2 but after the initial rush.

Came home with five yearling fillies. I’m another one that needs to apologise to Easter Valley as we had a bit of a tussle for one of them - sorry! Fortunately we picked up our top three choices, two we’d earmarked some time ago and then one shortly before the sale:

[color=red]Forever A Warrior (Black Warrior x Stay Forever) was first choice and cost $46,500. Her sire has done really well with his first 2yos this year and we sold her dam in-foal earlier this year after she gave us a lovely colt by Brigade. Stay Forever was a stakes winner and is a half a sister to our own GCh Send Me Flowers.

Next in was [color=red]Purr (Lasting Spirit x Princess Aphrodite) at $1000. Two reasons for picking this one up - I loved her name and I think Lasting Spirit could turn out to be underrated.

Name also played a factor in our choice of [color=red]Black Cat (Alley Cat x Mrs Soffel). Sadly I lost my RL cat a few days before the auction so decided to pick up this filly on name alone. Alley Cat probably isn’t the greatest sire but does tend to consistently have winners. Her dam wasn’t amazing on the track but traces back to some smart Stillwater broodmares including the dam of TakeMeToHollywood. She might be fun to play with.

We also picked up two more after our first choices sold - [color=red]Celtic Legend (Celtic Star x Urban Legend). From her sire’s first crop and her dam is a half a sister to Tryst of Fate. We’ve had some success this year with a filly out of Urban Legend’s half sister. And our final purchase was [color=red]Dark Seattle (Dark Demand x Seattle Sunrise). Her dam is silver ranked, with her eldest foal a stakes winner.

Generous Bloodstock and Mayfair, you don’t need to apologize!

I ended up with 5 yearling colts:

[color=blue]Tustin Love (High on Love x Tustin Girl) was my only original top choice.  For a while, I thought I would pick him up pretty cheap, but then Semiahmoo and I went back and forth with bidding for a while.  His dam had 5 wins at age 2, including 2 stakes wins, so I’m hoping for a quick return on my investment of $63,500.

I purchased [color=blue]Five Eight Cutt (Magic Glory x My Girl Nance) for $12,000.  His dam was a consistent runner, only out of the top 3 in 3 of her 16 starts. She only raced as a steeplechaser, and Magic Glory was also a jumper, so this boy will probably be a jumper.
[color=blue]
Invading Dreams (Invasor x Runaway Dreams), $5,500, is a gamble. His dam is silver-ranked, mainly because she’s foaled one MSW, [color=blue]Ch. Runaway War, who has won 2 stakes races this year, but she wasn’t a standout on the track and her other mature foals seem to be duds. He’s also one of Invasor’s first crop.

I picked up [color=blue]Grimm (Black Light II x Timely Fable) for $1,000. His dam had a strong 2yo season, including 3 stakes places, so he may be another mature 2 year old I can have fun with next year.

Finally, [color=blue]Preferred (Worth the Wait x Captain’s Favorit, formerly named World Peace), purchased for $1,000, rounded out the pack.  I own his half-sibling, Favorite Cat, who hasn’t done well in his only start this year, but I like their dam, who was not raced until she was 5, and then had a nice consistent year with 2 stakes places.

Last two, again breaking my yearlings-only rule but at least this time I took home only girls.

[color=red]Until It Sleeps - 13.0hh black weanling filly by Stressed out of Quiet Rascal.
Originally named Silent War. I totally didn’t need yet another Stressed baby, but I’ve never had a bad runner by hDam is G1 and multiple G3-placed. A lovely steal for $1,000.

[color=red]Pinstripes - 13.2hh brown weanling filly by Unabridged out of Mama Cash.
Unabridged has been turning into an awesome sire so I was hoping to snag a foal of his; even his unplaced runners only have 1 or 2 starts under their belt and are FF-owned – his foals owned by active members all have really solid records for 2yo’s. His dam only raced at 4 and 5 but hit the board in 8 of 11 starts and retired sound. She’s a bit of a gamble with both parents being creates. Originally named No Cash Flow. Purchased for $1,000.

Shanthi - Do you have any plans to raise the limits on this Auction as, with about 2 1/2 days to go, there are still about 60 foals that have not had any bids?

Had a satisfactory Auction, with 3 yearling purchases so far.

A 15.0h b.f. by ICh. Magic Glory (G) out of Sixth Gear (B). She has been renamed [color=red]Witch’s Robes. $1,000

A 15.2h b.c. by GCh. High On Love (S) out of Speak Up (B). He has been renamed [color=blue]Romantic Proposal. $1,000

A 15.0h gr.c. by WCh. What’s Debatable (S) out of Cherokee Accent (G). We owned WCh. What’s Debatable before he was Retired and we own two other progeny of Cherokee Accent, one of which has 11 wins (9 of which are SW, including 6 G1W) and over $3m in earnings and is an NCh. He was our number one target so we were prepared to go as high as was necessary to get him. He has been renamed [color=blue]Debatable Accent. $98,000.

Because of having to go so high for Debatable Accent, we hit the $100,000 spending limit early in the Auction and weren’t able to bid on many of our other targets. There are still one or two more of our original targets still left unbid on if Shanthi should decide to increase the limit (Hint, hint  :smiley: )

Done - thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

To clarify - I upped the horse limit, not the spending limit. That was never going to change. :stuck_out_tongue:

:'(

LOL!!! I probably don’t need more horses, anyway.

I adopted three more yearlings :stuck_out_tongue: $1,000 each, so why not. All new lines in my herd.

[color=blue]Me Voy - 14.2h black colt by GCh. Dixie Time, out of Ferdinand’s Image (created).

[color=blue]Me Quedo - 15.2h bay colt by GCh. Dixie Time, out of Serenity (Dixieland Jazz).

[color=red]No Me Digas - 15.2h chestnut filly by NCh. Gone Haywire, out of Frolicking (NCh. Those Will Do).

The names mean “I go”, “I stay” and “don’t tell me”.

We also added another three at $1000 a piece.

[color=red]California Rumour (yearling Rumour Had It x California Dreamer (Redwood Prince)).

[color=blue]Suspicious Minds (yearling Dark Demand x Prince’s Lady (Townsend Prince)).

[color=blue]Spirit of the Town (weanling Lasting Spirit x Small Town Gal (Starz N Stripes)).

All bring slightly newer lines into the barn on their dam lined.