How'd You Do 2015

I definitely hadn’t planned on spending this much, but I can’t say I don’t like the two I managed to get! I’m definitely spending as little as possible in the upcoming youngstock auction, since my current racing kids seem to be in no hurry to restore the bank a little.

I had gone into the auction thinking, “No youngstock!” and ended up bidding for a weanling. I had my heart set on Cream of the Crop, a Man O’War mare, but she went above and beyond my spending limits so when I saw she had a half-sister consigned, I went for her. Gimme a Latte, renamed to [color=red]Cafelatte (name pending), is by Point Given (S) out of Cream Only (S). Cream Only has produced 5 winners from 6 runners, 3 champions, and her two producing foals are bronze and gold ranked. Picked Cafelatte up for $30,500.

The second horse we picked up was the broodmare [color=red]Chief’s Lady, who adds some new blood to our herd. She’s by Chief Inspector (S) out of the Reine-de-Course mare Lady Be Good (S). Chief’s Lady was a MSW of $521,000 and is currently bronze-ranked with 3 winners from 3 runners. She’s in foal to Point Given and made the bank account lurch with a $100,000 purchase price.

Still have a couple bids I’m waiting on, but I’ve already managed to walk away with 3 that I wanted.

Ch. Amazon (Crimson Lad x Everglades)
I own her first foal, Amazonian Spirit (c. by Lasting Spirit), who has shown to be a consistent runner.  I have good feelings about him, so I was pleased to be able to pick up his dam.  Plus, I don’t have any Crimson Lad lines in my broodmare band. $150,000

Memorial Day (Stars ‘N’ Stripes (S) x NCh. American Black (G))
Last foal by the legendary American Black and a filly to boot.  Hopefully she’ll run well and earn back the $300k I paid for her.

Aegina (Alley Cat (B) x Times Ebony (S))
Last foal out of Times Ebony, dam of WCh. Nightfight, WCh. Gotta Go and gold-rated broodmare High Times.  I’ve been running her 2yo colt Scarecrow, and was pleased to pick up his 1/2 sister.  Purchased her for $150k.

Still have two bids outstanding but we’ve already picked up 3 additions to the Stables:-

[color=red]Last Nights Jitter, 3 ch.f. [color=blue]GCh. Major’s Flight (S) x [color=red]Las Vegas Jitters (S). Winner of an Ungraded Stakes at Del Mar last time out. (Cost $50K)

[color=red]Beach Bound, weanling ch.f. [color=blue]GCh. Harvard Bound (B) x [color=red]Dayatthebeach (S). We already have a number of [color=red]Dayatthebeach progeny, including Stakes placed [color=blue]In The Navy. (Cost $100K)

[color=red]wonziT, weanling blk.f. [color=blue]Tiznow (B) x [color=red]Backwards Image (G) - hence the new name (she was originally named [color=red]Tiz a Mirror). We already have two other [color=red]Backwards Image progeny, multiple Stakes (including the 2013 Breeder’s Cup Juvenile Fillies) winner [color=red]Ch. Unsubstantiated and Gr 2. Stakes winner [color=red]Back Streets, who has been retired to the breeding barns and whose first progeny, [color=red]Casting Couch, won for the first time last Wednesday. (Cost $100K)

Thanks to Cat bidding for me while I was away, I managed to get (almost) all of the ponies I wanted (also interested in Memorial Day, but Cat will give her a great home).

[color=red]Cream of the Crop - 9yo broodmare, gold ranked with 1 MSW and 1 winner from 2 foals to race. We only have one other Man O’War mare in our band, so we figured we may as well add another to the mix. Unfortunately she’s open for 2015, but we’ll aim to get a spring breeding in for 2016.

[color=red]Ternherloose - 6yo racehorse, winner of 4 stakes races (incl. 2 Gr. 1s in 2012). From created lines, so that’ll give us a lot of flexibility with who to breed her to next year.

[color=blue]Rischioso - yearling colt by GCh. Worth My While (S) out of Awesome Love (S) - 1/2 brother to MSW Master & Commander, SW Awesome Silver, and SP Thespian, So Many Roads, and Syriana. Our one WMW foal to race so far has won her first start, so we figured we may as well try another one, as we only have a weanling in the barn by him. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Bella Notta - yearling filly by WCh. Crystal Rainbow (S) out of Ch. Celtic Princess (G) - 1/2 sister to MSWs Celtic Glory and War Engine, SW Celtic Knot, and SP Vicinerox and Secret Ritual. We’re hoping she’ll be nice on the track, and a replacement for Celtic Glory (9 years older) when she retires.

[color=blue]Thrill A Sec - yearling colt by NCh. Lasting Spirit (B) out of GCh. Water Nymph - first foal from his MSW millionaire dam, so we’ll have to see what he does. We have another yearling and a weanling by Lasting Spirit, who seems to be doing well as a sire so far.

5 horses (1 BM, 1 racehorse, 3 yearlings) for just over $1mil. Not too bad, given the quality of horses we came home with. :slight_smile:

I’d consider leasing her at some point (probably post-2016), if you’re interested. :slight_smile:

Came home with four, one more than I intended. Put in lots of bids all round - avoiding doing some reading I have to do for work  :stuck_out_tongue: but I’m not disappointed to have not got any more ponies, very happy with the ones I’ve ended up with.

[color=red]GCh. Unbridled Frolic 6yo racemare by Unbridled out of Traveling Frolic. This was the one I really wanted, got a lovely race record being a winner at 2-6 years, SW at 3-4 years and several speed records. Should make a nice broodmare for the future although I’m not sure if she’ll race again before retirement.

[color=red]Ch Crowd Pleaser a nice MSP mare with a bronze ranking. I bought her as she’s 1/2 sibling to Baringa who’s probably the best horse in the barn that I’ve raced myself. His dam is silver ranked with a worse race record so hopefully she has some potential. Plus she’s in foal to All Jazzed Up so fingers crossed for a healthy foaling.

[color=red]Beautiful Basic yearling filly by Turn and Burn out of the created Adiantum. Has several sw/sp siblings so hopefully she’ll be a decent runner. I really like the Fire De Flame line so looking forward to getting her to the track next year.

[color=blue]GCh. Caledonian a 6yo racehorse (Highland Wizard ex On The Run). Massive gamble with this one. He only needs one stakes win for stud qualification but given his age it might just be out of reach. On the bright side, if he can get that last win he’s got a nice enough pedigree to go with my existing mares so I thought it was worth giving him a shot.

Well came away with 4 , some were lost to bigger stables due to budget constraints.I didn’t go to get young stock but saw 2 that were 1/2 siblings to two I have in the barn  and I was drawn to them.

[color=red]Southern Royalty- a silver pedigree, and a silver broodmare herself,seems to be producing winners out of her foals running already,both her sire and dam have produced many MSW’s between them. She is in foal to Clockstopper,she was a last minute bid, got her for her reserve-$150,000

[color=red]Devilish Intent- was one of my first choices, almost lost out,and Had to up my bid, she’s a 6 yo filly by  Devil May Care , which was my main reason for getting her,I didn’t realize she last raced in 2012, (smacks self) don’t know how I missed that, not sure if I will try a race or two or send her to the broodmare barn. Got her for - $275,500

[color=blue]Franklin-(2013) a cute colt by Nch. Sneak Peak out of Ch. Gefallener Engel,whom. I own a 1/2 sister (2015), for some reason the mare is what attracted me to buying these horses and they look alike,And of course his sire is by What’s it Worth a MSW producer,almost got him for his reserve ,but someone kept trying to see how high i had bid and i ,lol,i had to have him for some reason so i listened to my instinct and got him for-  $125,500

[color=red]Beautifully Deadly- this was a last minute bid by Smart Strike out of Ch Darling Evil ( a MSW producer 5/9,1 winner,3 unraced/ babies), I own her 1/2 sister Ch Nitemareon Elm St her sire has only 2 crops on the ground,but he’s out of Mr Prospector, so here’s hoping she takes after her dam line at the least,her sister was a late starter so won’t be too worried about her first season out, Got her for her reserve- $100,000

Two more went through… and I’m done.  Spent way more than I anticipated. 

Whirl of Delight (Whirlaway (S) x Delightful Natalie (S))
Dam of MSW, millionaire GCh. Delightfully Black, SP Fairly Spun and placed 2yo Motifs.

Lady Vesta (Ring of Fire (S) x Lady in Red (G))
1/2 to Ch. Etched in Gold and Ch. Lady Hollywood.  Granddam is Vanity Fair, which makes her a semi-distant relative of GCh. Worth My While, NCh. Simply Spectacular, GCh. Fear Factor (a former Cricket) and GCh. Just Victory II. 

Absolutely!! :smiley: Thank you Shanthi!

Good luck, I hope he gets studified! :slight_smile:

Sort of wish I had the cash that the bigger stables do! My runners haven’t exactly been breaking the bank this year, and we’ve had a few injuries, do I didn’t have the money to push around that I’d hoped I would. But!

A yearling by [color=blue]GCh. Must Be Magic. Both parents are solidly silver-rated; would love to see him exceed his potential!

A weanling by [color=blue]Point Given out of [color=red]Ch. Bonfire. His mom has made as many winners as she has multiple stakes winners… would love for him to be one of the latter!

The real prize from this auction was [color=red]Texas Cowgirl. Though she’s only a 4.3 Silver rating, her three racing babies have an average earning of almost $200K. Her oldest foal, the only non-SW, while not terribly consistent, could break Champion status by the end of this year. (I’m looking at you, Southern Cross!) I should also note that her third baby is stakes placed as a 2YO. Not too shabby! We think their Mama has “great value” written all over her! She is pregnant to boot, so we will have a new foal by [color=blue]GCh. Latino Mix sometime this spring. We’re thinking the baby will be called TexMex.  :wink:

That was me :slight_smile:

I liked the cross of his breeding but I’d set a figure to go to on him and didn’t break it.

Good luck!

Only one 2yo filly joined Clicker Lab herd, but that’s good because I already hardly find time to manage all of them.
[color=red]Embellished is a young (born in May) pretty 14.0h horse, black with one front sock (which I hope to see some day in her picture :wink: ), and still has one hand to grow. She should be 15.0 - 16.0h. She’s unraced and we will wait with her training until next year.
Her pedigree gives us hope that she will succeed over Intermediate distance. Embellished is a second foal of [color=red]Ch. Eternity which had a long and successful racing career, winning Stakes races three times as a 4yo. Her sire is [color=blue]GCh. Harvard Bound, a very successful racehorse as a 5yo, unraced until he reached the age of four.
We obviously have a late maturer here, with quite unique pedigree :slight_smile:

Got the last two we were bidding on:-

[color=blue]Worth a Whistle, yearling b.c. [color=blue]ICh. Worth The Wait (B) x [color=red]Whistlin’ Dixie (G). We already have four other progeny of [color=red]Whistlin’ Dixie, including dual Stakes winner [color=blue]Ch. Cup O’ Tea, G3 Stakes winner and Classic placed [color=red]Princess Kaiulani as well as multiple Stakes placed [color=red]Ch. Bonnie Blue Flag, now retired to the breeding barns. (Cost $105,500)

[color=red]Cat Crossing, weanling b.f. [color=blue]ICh. Alley Cat (B) x [color=red]A Fine Red Line (G). We already have two other progeny of [color=red]A Fine Red Line, including Stakes winner [color=red]Ch. Rebeldeen. (Cost $101,000)

We haven’t decided if we’ll leave the names of these two as they are. Will probably change [color=red]Cat Crossing once we come up with something we prefer, but, unless a name really inspires us, won’t change [color=blue]Worth a Whistle.

We spent $465K on the five new acquisitions. We had set out to get these 5 horses and had budgeted $500K for them, so are very satisfied with the results.

Bah I ended up spending $1,050,500 on two broodmares (now I have 91) and one 4-Y-O mare who will be a broodmare next year. Someone needs to keep me away from broodmares / potential broodmares!

[color=red]REDEMPTION is a GCH. broodmare with a Silver (4.7) rating. She is by Killing Time and out of Never High Enough (by Highland Rogue). She won five stakes races including the Oakleigh Plate (Gr.1). She also holds a sprint speed record (5.5 furlongs). She has two stakes placed foals and one placed 2YO from three raced foals. She comes in foal to Gimme A Shot. Happily paid $250,500 for her.

[color=red]HEARTACHE is a CH. broodmare with a Silver (6.8 ) rating. She is by Point Given (love him) and out of Gold-rated Heart’s Blood which makes her half-sister to a host of nice runners and broodmares. She won three stakes races, two of which were at Grade Two level. She is the dam of GCH. Equalizer (a Grade One winner), a stakes placed, a placed and an unplaced 2YO from four foals. She comes in foal to Sneak Peek. Paid $300,000 for her.

[color=red]MAKEMEAMATCH is a 4YO mare who is 5 points off achieving GCH. status. She has won three Grade One races including the Epsom Derby Stakes, Queen’s Plate Stakes and Storm Queen Stakes. She is by Romeo who will be a new addition to my stable’s lines. She is out of Makemeamiracle who is Silver-rated and the dam of Catwoman (Gr.1). I’ll run her this year and grab that GCH. status and hopefully another stakes win or two before sending her to the broodmare shed next year. Paid $500,000 for her.

Ended up filling the trailer up with four horses, 2 two year olds, 2 three year olds. They weren’t our first choices, the ones I really wanted got bid up pretty high. Could have kept going and gotten them but smacked myself and stopped.  ;D Very happy with the four girls we got.

[color=red]Actinella is a 2yo filly by NCh. Slew O’Scots (S) out of Ch. Brightly Burning (S). I didn’t realize it until after I bought her, but I also own her yearling 1/2 brother by Almost Home (S). Actinella is a 1/2 to a number of stakes placed and stakes winners, not the most beautiful pedigree but they all seem to be runners. Her pedigree seems to tilt towards steeplechase though hopefully she’ll have a little ability on the flat. She’s still a little immature in height so she’s going to wait a bit before she makes her debut.

[color=red]Ifalike is a 2yo filly by Point Given (S) out of Ch. Hollywood Memories (S). I really like Point Given as a sire so I was glad to get this filly. Her dam has quite a pretty pedigree being a half sister to four GCh’s and a FFCh. Her 1/2 sisters are also quite nice producers though Hollywood Memories has a little catching up to do though she’s no slouch with progeny with all 7 of her foals that have raced having broken their maidens and a MSW and two SP. Ifalike is already quite a large filly so she’ll make her debut soon and also might have a fute over fences down the road.

[color=red]Betrothed is a 3yo filly by Bold Ruler (S) out of Opening Act (S). We don’t have any Bold Ruler bloodlines in our barn and he’s a good sire with 35% stakes winners and 20% multiple stakes winners. He also quite a nice broodmare sire. Her dam has been a consistent producer though her most successful foals so far were her first few. Betrothed is a 1/2 to GCh. Stagehand and another stakes winner and a few that have been stakes placed. Betrothed has only run once in her career, a 2nd as a 2yo which is promising, we’ll have to see how she turns out.

[color=red]Corporate Card is a 3yo filly by Cigar (S) out of Check Please (S). Being a filly by Cigar, you can’t really go wrong which is why she really popped out at us. Her dam is a bit of an unknown, though what we do know is good, her first foal, NCh. Night’s Over is a MSW and multi-millionaire. Corporate Card is her second foal and only has 1 start as a 2yo and her other foal of racing age is a 2yo who is unplaced in 2 starts. Hopefully Corporate Card emulates her older sister and becomes a monster this fall.

Well… I bought more then planned… hah! I wasn’t really looking for anything but I guess thats how it goes. I ended up taking 6 horses home with a total purchase price of $388,000.

My most expensive purchase was the broodmare [color=red]Ch. A.P. Dreamin’ for $150,000. She’s by A.P. Indy (S) and out of Outtamywaysir (S). I don’t have any A.P. Indy broodmares so I figured he would be a nice line to introduce to my string. She’s also bred to Gimme A Shot who was retired. So, i’m introducing new lines to my stable and got one of the last breedings to Gimme A Shot.

[color=blue]Diamonds In Air was a $50,000 purchase. He is an unraced 2yo by The Black (S) and out of Ch. Atsa Pretty Muffin. His dam is unproven as a broodmare but I’m a fan of The Black. I’m sure he’ll earn his keep on the track.

[color=blue]Approved Rumor was a $75,500 purchase. He is also an unraced 2yo by Ch. Rumor Has It (B). The main reason I got him was because of his dam GCh. Approved Space. She had a great track career, hopefully my boy can follow suite.

[color=red]Rose of Portland was a $40,500 purchase. She’s another 2yo by Ch. Moonopoly (B). Another 2yo with a nice dam (reason for purchase!). Her dam is GCh. Studly Lady, another nice runner. She was also a fairly low purchase price :slight_smile:

Next up is the yearling [color=red]Alluring Girl who was a $52,000 purchase. She’s by WCh. Highland Bandit (S) (Who i’m a fan of who is now retired :wink: ) and out of Ch. Pirate’s Revenge (S). Her dam has 2  horses running at the moment, one of which is SP. I quite like this fillies lines.

Last up is [color=red]Hazari, another yearling. I got her for a suprisingly low $20,000. She’s by WCh. As You Wish (B) who I think will have foals that mature a little later, hence the bronze waiting. Her dam though is Ch. Home Fries (G). Home Fries has some awesome foals including 3 MSW, 1 SW and 1 SP. I’m stoked I got this filly for 20,000 and excited to run her!

Like everyone else it’s hard not to spend too much, had the cheque book out for a tick under $1.5 mill  ::)

Took home 9, ranging from weanlings, 2 year olds, racing stock (view to breed) and a couple of broodmares for good measure  8)

Hey all!

I’ve been a bit MIA, and this may have been the only time in history that I’ve sold horses the Select Sale as opposed to buy myself out of barn and home…:stuck_out_tongue:  But! I wanted to congratulate Mayfair on their Must Be Magic colt and Oakwood on their purchase of Betrothed and Corporate Card! :slight_smile:  Good luck!

Not to sound like Barry off of Storage Wars, but I forgot the auction started last weekend ;(

What happens when life and two jobs get in the way, but I saved money and still have a HUGE stable full of ponies anyways.

Lindsay, if it’s any comfort…some of my best ponies have come out of the foal auction for mad cheap. :wink: