How'd You Do 2013

I guess I’m starting this again this year because I’m so stoked about my horses! First of all, I spent a ridiculous amount of money but I can afford it this year and I feel like I got my money’s worth.

I’ve been waiting for a chance to purchase broodmare [color=red]Swimsuit Model for almost two years now and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw her on the list. I have three of her brothers from Bertha’s Bikini, her dam, all of which I’ve gotten from the Mixed Auction. Her half brother by Distinct Possibili won me over two million and her two year old brother is starting out this year. I also own her son, Such a Scandal, who is a two year old gelding by Rumor Has It and is doing quite well. Her three year old colt is doing well on the track also. She is by A. P Indy whom I love and have four other siblings by. I’m going to skip this year’s foal to get a decent spot next year. She broke the bank at $80,500 but I’m so excited to have her I don’t really care :smiley:

Another broodmare [color=red]Dawn Wolf made her way into my pocket for $1000. She’s 17.2hh, liver chestnut and in foal to Harvard Bound for a 2014 foal. She has one two year old filly placed on the track and her 2013 foal will be a full sibling to the 2014 one.

I also snagged [color=blue]Mr. Right (Satin Romance (S) out of Cygnet(B), a four year old colt that has been on the sale boards for a while. He did quite well for himself when he was younger but has been through a string of injuries over the last year. He’s headed to the farm for a few months to rest up and may start again late this fall or as a five year old. He had two stakes under his belt all ready so I’m hoping with some TLC he can earn back his $1000 sale price. His sire only had 16 foals but they have all done well and his dam also threw some nice foals.

I still have one left on a yearling but I was just ecstatic about these three.

Waiting on three bids to go through (at this rate, I’ll probably get them), but I brought home the main two horses I was aiming for, and at such good prices, too.

[color=red]DreaminofAngels (Saint Ballado-JJ’sDream, by Glitterman) is a created broodmare, a dark bay at 17.1h. She’s had three foals so far, and one of them’s hit the track this year - ironically, it’s a [color=blue]Bold Ruler filly I tried to claim a while back. [color=red]Dreamin is in foal to [color=blue]Alley Cat, which should be interesting. She was $15,500, which isn’t bad for a broodie.

[color=red]USS Enterprise ([color=blue]Tiznow-[color=red]To The Moon, by City Zip) is a gorgeous black weanling filly. I honestly don’t know how [color=blue]Tiznow will do as a sire - his first runners are 2YOs this year - but I love the irl version and hope he’ll be just as successful in FF. She was a steal at $1,000.

Picked up two Mr. Prospector yearlings; I own a stakes winning daughter by him, and he’s my stable star’s broodmare sire.

[color=blue]John Paul Jones ([color=blue]Mr. Prospector-[color=red]Ocean Princess, by Seacliff) is a lovely 13.1h dark bay colt. I named him after a Revolutionary War-era naval hero - the British portrayed him as a pirate, so I think the name is fitting. He’s a cool $5.5K.

[color=red]Saucy Authority ([color=blue]Mr. Prospector-[color=red]Party Prospect, by Suave Prospect) is a pretty 13.3h dappled gray filly. We own her half sister, [color=red]Party For One, a decent runner who’s now a broodie. Being a party goer, one would think she’s a saucy girl, large and in charge. She was $8,000.

We’re waiting for one more bid to go through…

Last but not least,

[color=red]Chicks Are Better (Chicken Dance-Better Than Most, by Most of All) a created brown mare standing at a sizable 16.3h. She hasn’t had any foals yet nor is in foal. We considered waiting on her, but there are a few studs we’d like to get to before it’s too late. A June foal isn’t that bad, right? She’s $15,500, same as our other broodie.

Altogether we spent $45,500 for two broodmares, two yearlings, and one weanling. It’s a nice haul,  :slight_smile:

This was my first year buying from the mixed sale and I’m very happy with the purchases–ughh, spent too much when I meant to save that money for entry fees on my other horses…but ahhh, I couldn’t resist!

I ended up with my max of 5 horses–a broodmare, a 5 yr old, a 3 yr old, and 2 weanling.

My Weanlings:
[color=blue]Reach The Point is a colt by Point Given out the mare Sherbet.  I am quite happy with this guy, as I am a huge fan of Point Given in real life and I can wait to see what this fella will do once he hits the track.  My goal with any colts is to try to get them stud qualified, so maybe he will be my first stud??? :wink:

[color=blue]Crown Attorney (and yes I named him after the stallion standing in real life up her in Ontario) is a colt by Harvard Bound out of the mare Upstage Dancer.  My hope is to aim this boy to the big Canadian races.

My 3 yr old:
[color=blue]Armory is a created horse from Sweetsouthernsaint and the mare Finale Hopper.  So far he doesn’t seem to be doing much but after looking at his record and his previous start, I think he’s starting to make a come around.  Figure, give him some time and I think he might make a good money earner for me.

My 5 yr old:
[color=green]Joe Millionaire was a  last minute purchase as I want to add some money earners to my bunch, even though he is a steeplechaser.  I’m having luck with the one that  I have had for a while and the fact he is from a sire that I have a weanling from helps add to that.  This Point Given gelding seems to have been around and I will have fun figuring him out and seeing how far he will go.

My Broodmare:
[color=red]Novel Advantage is created mare by Tactical Advantage and out of the mare Proud Nova.  I was considering a very late breeding but decided against it-- felt that I should try to keep her open see what stallion would cross better with her next spring.  Hoping for a commercial breeding as I plan on sending her foals and the ones that come after the ones I am expecting currently to that year’s auctions.  Basically I will be looking to breed the mare up in class…any suggestions, LOL :smiley:

All this for a whopping $5000, LOL…hopefullly I will be saying ‘what a deal’ in the future :slight_smile:

I am quite happy, as this give me a very nice base to work with as far racing goes.  I have my older horses coming along and this auction just broadened that base :slight_smile:

I really only planned on getting one or two horses.

Really.

First off is our most expensive purchase at $22,000, [color=red]Callada [Twin Oaks (S) x Calendar Girl by Annual Expense] is a Bronze rated cutie standing at 14.3,who is virtually all black except for a a single ermine.She’s in foal to [color=blue]GCh. Harvard Bound, due early May.

Second up is one of our two new grey mares, [color=red]Lady’s Call [Call On Me (B) x Lady Caroline (S) by Caroline’s Pride], dam of Ch. Speedial. She is in foal to [color=blue]War Chant, due early January.

Third up, is the second of our grey mares, [color=red]Star Imp. She only has one foal of racing age, [color=green]Ring of Stars, who is doing fairly well at the track. Imp is in foal to [color=blue]ICh. Alley Cat, due early April.

The last of the broodmare group is certainly the tallest of the lot. Bronze rated [color=red]Still Snowin’ [Snow Ridge x Snooth N Jazzy by Belong To Me] stands a solid 16.1, and is dam of two SWs. Snowin’ is in foal to [color=blue]ICh. Alley Cat, due mid March.

Normally, I don’t fall for liver chestnuts, but this weanling caught my eye. Tentatively named [color=red]Whimsical Cat is by ICh. Alley Cat (B) out of Whimsical Victory (B) [by Whimsical], and stands at a respectable 9.0 hands.

Starfish had quite a good Auction, although only future results will tell how successful. We spent $89,500 on 4 horses.

Our first acquisition was a 2YO colt, [color=blue]Bell Book n Candle, by our home Stallion Magic Glory out of Arcane Maiden. He cost $20,500, but as he already has one 2nd out of two starts, hopefully he’ll recoup that fairly quickly.

Our next acquisition was a 3YO colt, [color=blue]Imaginemebackwards, by Alydar out of Backwards Image.  We already own two of Images foals who have been quite successful for us so it was a very pleasant surprise to be able to get him for only $2,000. One of these two Image progeny, [color=red]Back Streets, won one race & $31K+ and is now part of our Broodmare contingent. The other one, 2YO [color=red]Unsubstantiated. has 1 win, 1 second and 1 third out of three starts. [color=blue]Imaginemebackwards won 3 out of 5 starts as a 2YO but has not trained on at 3. Hopefully, a change of scenary will bring him back to his 2YO form.

Broodmare [color=red]Lucky Lucky Lady was our next acquisition for $6,500. She is a full sister to one of our current Broodmares, [color=red]Topaz, so will add to the “family” set-up we are trying to establish here.

Our last acquisition was 6YO [color=blue]G.Ch. Cool Thief for $60,500. He was bought with an eye to adding to our Stallions list. He has already won 7 Stakes races, including 4 Grade 1’s, so, if we can somehow manage to squeeze three more Stakes wins out of him in the next six months or so, he will be standing at our farms next season. We’ll give him a month’s rest to get used to a new routine and then try and get him his three Stakes wins. As he’s already got his Grade 1’s, we’ll probably just try and find a couple of ungraded’s for him that might not take quite as much winning.

Good year for us, I think…  Spent $54 500 on 5 horses.

[color=red]Chocolate Springs is our newest broodmare, purchased for $12 000.  She is a created, unraced mare so a bit of a wildcard.  Her oldest baby is a two year old this year, so we’re going to keep an eye on him for sure.  She’s in foal to The Fighting Fifty, which is the major reason I bought her. 

[color=red]AcrossThe Universe is a broodmare prospect, but we’ll keep her on the track until the end of the year, at least.  She was our most expensive buy, at $30 500… but still a good deal.  She’s been very consistent throughout her career and I’m hoping she maintains that form for a while yet.

[color=blue]Always Different was kind of a last minute impulse bid.  I don’t have very many older racers, and this guy looks like he’ll be a consistent runner.  He’s only run 5 times, but has never finished further back than 3rd (1-3-1-0)…  And the price was right at $7500.

[color=blue]Unnamed (Moonopoly X Royal Escapade) is one of our two new yearlings.  His dam has produced some useful runners, and I like Moonopoly, so I was hoping he’d be affordable. Hopefully he proves to be worth the $3500 we spent!

[color=blue]Unnamed (Mr. Townsend X Regal Spirit) is our second new yearling, and our final purchase.  His dam has consistently produced winners and at only $1000, I think he was a steal!

I’m happy with our purchases this year, and I’m excited to see how they do for us on the track and in the breeding shed! 

I ended up bringing home 4 broodmares.

[color=red]East Meets West is a 9 year old created multiple winner.  Her first foal is a yearling filly by Rahy.  She is going back to Rahy for 2014.

[color=red]End Code is a 12 year old unraced created mare.  Her first foal is an unraced 2 y/o filly by Romeo.  She is being bred to ICh. Stressed for 2014.

[color=red]Rizzi’s Ruckus is a 12 year old unraced created mare.  Her first foal is an unraced 2 y/o colt by Northern Dancer.  She is currently carrying a Point Given foal for 2013.  Haven’t decided who she’ll be bred to for 2014.

[color=red]Big Score is a 12 year old unraced mare who I created the pedigree for awhile back after seeing the real Big Score race at Churchill Downs.  She is in foal to Harvard Bound for 2014.

I spent a fortune on one horse, but I wanted another broodmare so much, I am not ashamed of my splurge at all.  ;D

I snatched [color=red]Eclipse Di Luna for a whopping $100,000 from the Grey Stable. The reason she caught my eye is because she has the same daddy as my newest baby, She’s Gawne. Maybe I wanted her so much because she was related to Gawne, and therefore reminded me of Gawne’s mom. (My first death really tore me up… Funny how real this game feels.) Plus, the thing I’ve wanted the most in this game lately is more than one broodmare (another reason Light A Line’s death tore me up so much). So, mostly because of sentimental reasons, I felt like I just had to have her. And I got her! Her lines and record don’t say much about her, but we’ll see how her pre-sale breeding to Highland Magic will do once the little one hits the track. I have faith.

:wink:

Oh, yay! :slight_smile:  I’m so glad she got a good home.  Her mommy was my first broodmare and I was so proud of her name.  I really hope she turns out to be a spectacular broody for you. :slight_smile:

As for my purchases…
Darn mixed auction gets me every year…lol…I tell my self I don’t need to spend the money then of course I obsess over the horses and end up seeing some I can’t live without.  blah!  :wink:
Anyway I’m super happy I can home with 2 broodmare this year and one gave us a beautiful baby boy shortly after her arrival which almost paid for her completly considering the sires stud fee! :slight_smile:

[color=red]Married To Quick - This mare caught my eye because of her name (I’m getting married in 8 weeks…ah!), her color and her size.  She’s dark grey and 16.3 hands.  I would have bought her for the 55k just by herself but I got a little bonus and got a Point Given colt with her (What Was I Thinkin)!

[color=red]Windsinger- She is a beautiful dapple grey and is 16.1 hands.  For her size and what looks like good genes…her 2yo colt is 16.2 already…I think 22k was a steal. :slight_smile:

Both mares have 2yo foals that haven’t raced yet but both look promising and are maturing nicely.  I’m really looking forward to seeing how these girls turn out as mommys. :slight_smile:

Alright, well I too probably spent a little more than I wanted to this year. Ended up being around $75k something.

[color=red]Don’tfeelLikeDanzin - She is a 16hh two year old filly by Danzig and out of Ch.Blu Highland(Highland Rouge). I am not only a sucker
for dark bay fillies, but I have another brood mare by Danzig and she had an excellent racing career, and then along with the Highland lines, I couldn’t say no.
She was our most expensive coming in at i think $58k which I didn’t think was bad at all.

[color=red]Breakin’ Me - She is a 15.2 two year old filly by War Chant and out of Cure My Blues(Mr. Prospector). She again has Danzig in his lines,
but I bought her for her daddy. She is tiny, but we’re hoping to get a good racer out of her. We have been working her out right now to figure her out and she is
actually doing realy well so we like her a lot too. We got her for $9.5k

[color=red]Firstgirltoshine - She is a little 11.1hh weanling by NCh. Cryptic Ballad and out of Northern Princess. She is just a little small dark bay girl
and her lines weren’t too bad so I went with it. She was Unnamed when we got her, and I’ve been dying to use this name on someone. We got her for $8k.