How'd You Do? [2013 Edition]

Well I got my first horse in the first 24+ hours of the auction so I’ll start.

[color=red]Beautiful Is Gone, a weanling filly by Tiznow-Stormy Heart, by Storm Cat. Now irl this cross is producing a slew of good runners but on FF it’s all up in the air. Still I have high hopes for this dark bay girl; I own her dam’s half-brother [color=blue]Eighteen Karat, whose stakes wins are all Grade 1s, and her dam’s first foal is already stakes-placed. Plus Stormy Heart herself is stakes-placed, which is good news for me. The family is solid and even if she can’t live up to her relative she’ll at least make a half-decent broodie.

All that for $1K. Not bad.

And we picked up [color=red]Weeping Angel, a mahogany bay weanling filly by Tiznow-On A Lark, by Universal Prince. Her dam is created and has only two foals on the ground, so there are a lot of question marks hovering over her head. Got her for $5K, so here’s to hoping she’ll at least pay that much back! And obviously she’s named for a Doctor Who episode.

[color=blue]A Charming Man is a dark bay weanling son of Ch. Mr. Townsend-American Heiress, by Charlemagne. Picked him up mainly because of his damline, since his granddam is silver-ranked and has produced some nice runners, but also because I can name him after a song - “The Wondersmith and His Sons” by Astronautalis. Got him for $1K.

Well RC Bee finishes up this year’s Foal Auction early! We now have with us five beautifully bred weanlings who are shipping home to join their new pasture mates for the winter. Here are the last two purchases:

[url=http://www.finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=13490][color=red][b]Th

Almost done so I thought I’d share.

I picked up two created yearlings, [color=red]Scantily Clad and [color=blue]Bold Risk both for name factors. Bold Risk is already 15.0hh with a July birthday, Scantily Clad is 15.3 also with a July birthday. Both were $1000 so they didn’t exactly break the bank.

Also purchased was previously unnamed [color=red]Staycation by Tiznow and out of ScenicView. Tiznow’s crops haven’t distinguished themselves from the crowd and ScenicView is still a very new broodmare but for $1000, I’m hoping this 15.2hh, black filly will outshine her siblings.

Biggest purchase so far is [color=blue]Kanaka Maoli, the previously unnamed son of Highland Laird. Highland Laird needs no introductions as a sire with 21% of his offspring being MSW. He’s still a little on the small side and his dam, Quiet Hawaiian, is still new to the game but we’ve got big hopes for this guy. A steal at $5000 because Highland Laird’s stud fee sits at $50,000. He was named in honour of my Indigenous Studies class.

ETA: Fifth and last, a Red Sunset son newly named October Glory has been purchased. This makes 5 yearlings, two fillies and three colts, for $15000. Not bad considering last year we walked away with three for over 50 grand.

Still waiting for one bid to finalize (or not) but I’m nearly done, so I though I’d post.
All of our new foals were previously unnamed.

[color=blue]TimeForHollywood is a black yearling, standing 15.1hh. He’s expected to get to at least 16hh, so he has some growing to do. “Holden” is by FFCh. TakeMeToHollywood, who needs no introduction, and out of Just About Time. She was very lightly raced, having started her racing career at age five. Out of five races, she had one win and two shows (one a stakes), and a fourth place in a stakes as well. I’m very exited to have a FFCh. foal in my barn, and for just $1k!

[color=blue]King of Fire is a bay yearling, standing just 14.2hh. “Royal” has at least a hand to grow, possibly two. Royal is by ICh. Ring of Fire by Matinee Queen. Ring of Fire is an outstanding stallion, having set 10 speed records, and won 9 Grade One stakes. Matinee Queen was not extensively raced, but is stakes placed in her own right. Royal should be a fantastic edition to my racing team once he grows a bit.

–more later–

Very happy with my purchases, 4 horses for $5000! All of them were previously unnamed, and I had fun naming them.

[color=red]I Dreamed A Dream is a pretty dapple grey yearling filly by Nch. Those Will Do, out of Follow A Dream. Her dam is created, but had a decent career, and her sire is silver-ranked and now retired. Standing at 15.2hh and being a January baby, I’m excited to see what she’ll do in the future.

[color=blue]Johnny Cash is a handsome black yearling colt by Ich. Ring of Fire, out of the created mare Striking Proprosal. His dam is stakes placed, and his sire obviously had an impressive career, so I’m hoping he’s inherited a little of their talent.

[color=red]Les Noces is the only weanling of the bunch, and she’s a pretty dark bay who’s already 14hh. She’s by FFCh. High Chances out of Stravinsky’s Pet, a created mare. Her daddy was uber-talented, so hopefully she’s inherited some of those genes. She’s named after one of Stravinsky’s ballets, “The Wedding” in English.

[color=red]Swan Princess is another pretty dapple grey girl, by Twin Oaks out of Third Princess. Her sire is silver ranked and her momma is created, but we can’t wait to see what she’s got.

Definately excited about these young 'uns, but they’ve still got some growing up to do, so I’ll too be playing the waiting game.

I only made it out with two babies but I’m glad I got two of those that I wanted! I am hoping to bring home one last baby, but we’ll see.

First was [color=red]High Above Thee, a yearling filly by Simply Heroic and out of Southern Royalty (Kentucky Summer), the dam of my homebred weanling Mission Bell. She is black and she’s already 15.3. I am very excited to see her on the track. I also hope to get my hands on her mother and the upcoming foal. She was $5,500.

Next was an Unnamed weanling colt that I have tentatively named [color=blue]Aristocat (though I thought about naming him O’Malley, Scat Cat, Berlioz (leaning heavily toward this one), Toulouse, etc. all characters from Aristocats but I haven’t decided yet…). He is by Alley Cat and out of Stakes Placed Unbridled mare Secret Blossom. His yearling half brother sold at the auction for $100,00. His dam was bred back to Alley Cat this season so I’d love to get my hands on that baby or the dam. I picked this one up for a lucky $5,500. 

I got my two “must-haves”, and for far less than I would have spent to get them back:

First, the currently named [color=blue]U Remind Me (until I think of something I like better) is the only homebred to ever “get away” so far - I sold his dam with him in-utero around this time last year to rally more funds for taxes.  I’m glad to get him back, even if he’s still as much a question mark as ever.  His dam was a bit of a dud for me on the track (but a beautiful GIANT dapple grey!), and although his sire is FFCh. TakeMeToHollywood, he’s still pretty unproven in the breeding shed with only 2YOs on the track so far, so we’ll have to see.

Second, the yearling son of our late broodmare, ALWAYS A LADY, was another “must-have”.  We purchased her with her now-weanling in-utero, with lots of big plans for this silver-ranked brood, but nature had other plans.  She passed away less than a month after giving birth to her weanling filly, ALWAYS LADYLIKE (x Giant’s Causeway), who we own.  So in buying the now-named [color=blue]Mr. Evermore (x Mr. Prospector), we are finally able to realize a bit of that family legacy we had envisioned.

We spent only $7,000 to acquire both.  I couldn’t be happier!

Oddly enough, the two horses we labeled as must haves got away. 

Killer Queen is a cute weanling filly with bloodlines to, well, kill for.  Her dam is NCh. Queen who is by Highland Rogue, and her sire is the talented ICh. Gunningdownromance, who is by What’s It Worth, making Killer Queen a Worth/Rogue cross…so you know she’s gonna be right deadly on the track.

Ok, I’ll stop with the puns.  Promise.  :wink:

Under a Rock is a handsome weanling colt by our own ICh. Dark Continent.  We felt sorry for the bugger since no one was bidding on him, and so we walked away with him for $1,000.  Dam, Vain Scorpion, is created and unraced, which means the boy’s a bit of a wild card.

No more! No more! lol…well at least that’s what I tried to tell myself…here’s what we walked away with this year (all were unnamed when purchased)…

First we acquired [color=blue]Classy Point (ICh. What’s Your Point X Lady Of Class (S)) - I was actually surprised this guy went so cheap but feel lucky non-theless. :slight_smile:  Gotta love What’s Your Point’s double gold lines! Classy is half to a SW/millionaire so we’ll see how he does in a year or so.  He’s got the size so far standing at 14.0h.

Second and third came almost simultaneously…

[color=red]Roan Me A Kiss (GCh. Must Be Magic (S) X Steal A Kiss) This 15.3h strawberry roan was too irresistible!  Size, color, and we didn’t have a Must Be Magic foal this year.  Can’t wait to start training next year. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Rose Will Do (NCh. Those Will Do (S) X Rose Won) Super pretty 16.0h dark grey yearling with 4 white socks and a stripe. :slight_smile:  Those Will Do babies are going to be hard to come by with his retirement this year.  We didn’t really have much but size and her daddy’s lines to go on since her dam is a little illusive to the system (SQL syntax error). :wink:  Can’t wait to see how she turns out.

Well being a newbie and knowing nothing about nothing on lines and what not, and just really enjoying winning in auctions, I maybe went a bit overboard. tehe!  So if someone could tell me what I got that would be great! lol

I’ll start off with the yearlings I purchased…

[color=blue]Aeronautics (Unusal Heat x Avion (Flying Pastor)).  He is a June baby, which I guess means he won’t be racing too terribly soon and is standing at 14.3hh with a lovely light chestnut coloring.  Purchased for $1,000.

Next is an awfully short January baby named [color=red]Maypole.  She is dapple grey (<3) and is only standing 13.2hh.  She is by Spring Festival and out of Mayday, who is sired by Navy Man.  We are hoping her little short legs can go speedy around the track!  Picked her up for $1,000.

And then finally we have [color=blue]Unnamed (yes he needs a name) who is burly at 15.2hh.  This colt is by Tiznow and out of Fleet Cruise (NCh. Fleet Street (S)).  We have high hopes for this one!!  He is also a January baby and was purchased for $16,000.

And now on to the weanlings!!  We ended up with two little fillies, as the owner is addicted to them!

First off is a cute lil April baby named [color=red]Keep It Close.  She is by Keeptotheinside and is out of Close To Heart (Heartless).  She is a light bay standing at 13.1hh.  Hopefully she grows well!  Purchased for $1,000.

Then lastly another [color=red]Unnamed filly by Ch. Moonopoly (B) by Sweet and Ready (More Than Ready).  We saw all the champions in her stud’s past and just had to have her.  She is a dark bay May baby standing at 11.0hh currently.  Purchased her for $10,500.

Hopefully I guessed well on some of these. lol

Holly, 
Roan Me A Kiss is an ADORABLE name…:slight_smile: She’s really cute. Best o’ luck with her!
-Kerry

I really like your Tiznow/Fleet Cruise baby. FC’s first baby is a winner under FF management (and as a 2yo, so 2 bonus points for her). Tiznow is sexy, though his babies are only just starting to race (still, 50% winners from racers with 2yos is pretty nice).

Moonopoly is still proving himself as a sire…he started off with a bang, but his later crops haven’t proven themselves yet. And Sweet and Ready only has 2 babies, so she’s a wild card.

Your other guys are all from created lines so it’s a numbers game with them…either the random stat generator was nice or it wasn’t. :wink: You won’t know until you race them.

Congrats on getting a nice bunch, good luck with them!

Sweet!!  Thanks Shanthi!!

I’m excited about them all, especially the Tiznow colt.  (I only bid on him because I met the REAL Tiznow in October, lol)

So is it safe to assume that if the horse came from Final Furlong that it is a created baby, despite the fact that it has a sire x dam?

After getting to the auction late (my bad, got busy and then realized it was on), I think I got a nice yearling colt-- created lines, so it’s a wild card on what he will do when he hits the track sometime in the summer next year.  I’ve named him [color=blue]Nautical Mile as his pedigree didn’t really lend anything to me for names (Nauru X Petaluma).  Maybe before he races I will finally figure out a better name or just stick with that.

Waiting on one more, so will update when that is finalized.  Was hoping for one more yearling but one yearling that is a coming 2 yr old is fine with me.  At the rate I’m going, the year after that I will have my hands full with 2 year olds, so may as well enjoy the quiet juvenile time haha!

–Kayte
Diamond Dale Farm

I decided to throw in the towel and walk away with three little ones; auctions are addicting.

Payday was my "purposeful’ acquisition…:slight_smile: She’s out of a GCh. Little Lass, who’s only had three foals make it to the track… and, I like Strike It Rich A LOT. She’s growing like a weed and I considered her a steal at $35K, especially given her dam line. 

Military Boy became a necessary purchase after doing a little looking, especially given that I lost his daddy to retirement this year… I was intrigued by his dam’s breeding: Storm Cat/Mr. Prospector as a cross to No Duplicate? I’ve never tried it! Who knows? Right? All in all, I figured $20.5K was a solid price…  although, now I own nearly half of ND’s 2013 small crop…LOL (I should rename him “Tugatmyheartstrings”…:wink:)

Party Crasher was a steal at $3.5K. I had a bit of “Olde FF” nostalgia in seeing her dam and grand-dam, in addition to her being from the first crop of Gotta Go.  And, her name seemed pretty appropriate, especially given the humor surrounding the rather infamous news of the DC couple’s “crash”.

If you look at the pedigree, if the sire/dam names aren’t hyperlinks then it’s a created foal. (Over the holidays I’m hoping to wipe out created horses’ pedigrees so it’ll be really really obvious.)

Thanks Kerry! I was super excited to get her! I was looking hard at Payday, but i’m glad you got her. :slight_smile: 

Ahh, Okay!!  I’m very slowly starting to get ahold of the workings of this game. lol  But it is becoming quite addicting.

I only bid on two foals, so I wasn’t really surprised to come home from work and discover one had not been won.  It’s difficult to get fillies.  Colts, on the other hand, I have no problem winning.  The main reason I bid on this particular colt is mostly because I own his dam, who was pregnant when I bought her and is due not long after the new year (which makes me nervous).

http://www.finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=10411

[color=blue]Prancing Party, by  GCh. Temptation out of GetThePartyStarted will hopefully prove to be a very worthwhile purchase.  crosses fingers  

Being new the the game and no completely in the loop as far as pedigree=racing machine I just went for little ones that I liked. They all started out unnamed. We got 4 fillies and one colt

A previously unnamed little weanling filly we named [color=red]Alchemy (NCh. Seattle Sorcerer x Grey Magic)Her pedigree didn’t hurt but, really I just thought she was cute :slight_smile:

A previously unnamed weanling [color=red]Giant Love Song (Giant’s Causeway x Song of Love). I am a big fan of the real life Storm Cat so I thought, why not a virtual grand baby since I will never own a real one!

Then there is the tiniest weanling of the bunch at 12.3 [color=red]Ziplomat (Nch. Diplomat x Zatanna) She is a flash little bay and as far as her breeding goes, I think she will be a little bit of a wild card. We shall see!

I picked up the previously unnamed yearling  [color=red]Luckyopoly (Ch. Moonopoly x Luckys Lola) just because I wanted to name her that! As you can see I was real scientific about the whole process.

And last but not least we have the yearling I spent the most on [color=blue]Bay Harvard Butchr (GCh. Harvard Bound x Glorious Beauty) he is also the only boy in the bunch and I am very happy with him. We will see if I still feel the same when he becomes a frustrating two year old!

There are worse ways to pick out horses. :wink: