How'd You Do 2012

Since I’m done at the auction this year I figure I’ll start the thread :slight_smile:

I was super excited for this seeing as I got two amazing horses here last year, Unique Opportunity and my first broodmare Franky’s Landed. I’m very happy with the five I got this year as well.

I crossed my fingers and was prepared to go all out for these two colts out of Bertha’s Bikini. She’s the dam of Unique Opportunity who has been my bread and butter horse this year. Yearling [color=blue]Darsumday (formally Bertha’s Dare) is out of Alydar and Bertha. He’s a liver chestnut which makes me happy because of all the chestnuts they’re my favourite. I’ve never had an Alydar baby but I know a lot of people like him and I really like the babies that Bertha has had.

The second colt is her latest, a weanling I decided to call [color=blue]Political Crisis and is by Black Gold. I have another Black Gold baby, a two year old filly I’m pretty pleased with. He has a full sibling, Bertha’s Gold who is doing well. I’ve seen that most of Bertha’s babies tend to mature late, Unique Opportunity is peaking at 5, so I’m in the long haul with these boys :slight_smile:

I also managed to pick up a broodmare, [color=red]Blue Duchess, for $3000. She doesn’t have foals on the track yet but at 2002 she’s still got a while left in her and she’s another liver chestnut.

I also got another yearling [color=red]Helmsgold for $2000. She’s all ready 15.1hh, is a gorgeous dark grey and from created lines. I mostly just liked her name and her height and I felt she was a steal.

My last was an impulse bid. [color=blue]Peachtree Street is by GCh. Streetwise and Southern Moon. Streetwise is the son of Cross Roads which made me happy since I have no Cross Roads horses in my barn. Streetwise is pretty impressive as well with three Stakes winners from his first crop and a few winners in his second crop. Peachtree is from the second crop and hasn’t started yet. He’s the first foal for his dam but she’s out of Moonover Boy and her dam (Peachtree’s granddam I suppose) has a good share of SP, SW and two MSW. I’m fairly certain he’ll at least win back the purchase fee of $1000 I shelled out for him :slight_smile:

Still waiting to see if two of my last bids come through, but here’s what I have so far, all out of created lines:

I got unraced 2yo [color=blue]Belsano for just 1k. He’s 15h, but he just turned 2 on Friday. He’s headed to his first race Wednesday, and we’ll see how he does. I got him for 1k.

4yo [color=red]Quidnunc caught my eye with her interesting name. She’s 2-1-1 for this year. Her second place was in a 17f 'chase, her win in a 9f. She’s also entered to race on Wednesday. She was a steal at 2.3k

Unrated [color=red]One True Way, has 5 foals on track, most doing OK. She’s headed for a date with FFCh. High Chances. A good deal at 1k.

This was my first auction in FF, and I’m not exactly rich (;)), so I wasn’t expecting too much… but I was pleasantly surprised and picked up 4 new ponies!

At first glance, [color=green]Runaway Jury’s (dkb.4.g) race record didn’t seem incredibly impressive or consistent, but since switching to steeplechasing last year, he’s been top three in 7 of 8 starts.  I’m hoping he’ll be a solid money-earner for me for at least another year or two before retiring.  For $1000, I think he was well worth the investment (or so I hope)!

[color=blue]Riverdance (4.ch.s) didn’t do too well as a 3yo last year, but so far this year he’s won once and placed twice in three starts, so I felt he was worth a shot, also for $1000.

[color=blue]Ready To Exchange (dkb.4.s), again, had a fairly dismal 3yo year last year, but this year he’s had a win and a fourth in two starts.  I’d like to fiddle with his equipment and distance and such, see if I can’t turn him into a fairly consistent runner.  He was also $1000.

[color=red]Spring Regatta (0.b.f) is a weanling filly, only about 2 weeks old, and already 10.0HH.  I bought her mainly because I liked her name. :stuck_out_tongue:  She’s a FF-bred baby, so I really don’t know what to expect.  I’m hoping she turns out to be a nice runner and broodmare in a few years.  She was another $1000 bargain.

Pretty exciting for my first auction, I think.  I’m really excited to see how these guys work out on the track! :smiley:

I got 4 (might go in on one more…)in my first auction here and have to agree with the above comment saying that I too was pleasantly suprised!

Our first purchase was for [color=blue]Fleeting Spirit (1yo lvch. c)  He is a full little brother to our [color=red]Regal Countess (2yo lvch. f) by Count Fleet out of Regal Spirit.  Regal Countess showed in her only start to date, so we’re excited to have little bro join his sis on the track next year.

We then obtained [color=green]Wart (4yo bay g) Consigned by Southern Cross TC.  At only 1k, we figure we have plenty of time to rest him up at the farm before turning him loose again.  He did win an ungraded stakes and placed in another earlier in the year, so were hoping he will at very least provide some good SC allowance fun later this year for us…

We also got a game created Broodie for 2k: [color=red]Russian Tribute (10yo brn M). She only has two foals with none yet to reach the track, so she’s a total shot in the dark, but we’ll have lots of fun trying to figure her out.  She has been booked already to [color=blue]Stressed (Il based stallion, which is kinda cool too) for an August date. This will give us our first Illinois bred and we are very excited by that…

We also got an unnamed weanling by [color=blue]Danzig…paid maybe a bit too much (30.5 k) relative to the overwhelming value found elsewhere in this auction, but after seeing the way some horses went for way more than I guessed intially and some significantly less than I thought just means I have alot more studying of lineages and pedigrees to do, lol!

This year I picked up 2 unraced 2 year olds:

Dashing Dreams (Go For Dash x Gini Go Go): 15.3 mahogany bay filly. She’s 1/2 to a MSW and several Stakes-placed runners, so she ought to be worth the 50,500 I paid for her. And she’s pretty!! :wink:

Drums Of Thunder (Concerto x Parental Uproar): 16.3 dark bay colt. Completely made-up pedigree; I liked his name. :slight_smile: I paid $11,500 for him.

They will be fun to play with. :slight_smile:

I came out of the auction with 5 new ponies (surprisingly!), so I’m beyond pleased.   :D  Spent a lot less overall than I thought I would have to, too.

In the end, we came home with 2 weanlings, 2 yearlings, and 1 new broodmare…which isn’t half bad!  I was originally aiming to get some more runners, but once the bidding got underway I found myself pulled towards some neglected babies…and getting some steals as a result!

As far as weanlings go, we picked up a lovely blue roan filly, [color=red]Long Kiss Goodbye.  She’s from created lines, so who knows how she’ll turn out…but I just loved the name and couldn’t resist.  She was a steal at $1,000.

Next weanling was Affirmed daughter (yay!  I’d secretly hoped to get one of his daughters someday) who was previously unnamed - now titled [color=red]Afterglow.  While at first glance her pedigree may seem a bit lackluster in the big scheme of things (her dam is bronze-rated, although Affirmed beefs that up with a silver-ranking), two of her three half-siblings to hit the track have been pretty impressive, with the third still being a green 2YO.  She is 1/2 to SP Debut Performance (x Class Act, 4YO stallion, Gintara Lodge) and MSP Murder By Numbers (x Run For It, 3YO filly, Snowbird International).  Her 2YO half sibling, Encore Performance (x Sneak Peek, Gintara Lodge), has only had 2 unplaced starts…but she’s only a July baby.   :)  Can’t wait to see this one grow up!  She’s definitely one of my most exciting acquisitions from this auction.  I think I got quite a good deal on her at only $11,500.

As for yearlings, we started out with a handsome black colt, [color=blue]O Mercy Me, whose pedigree I created.  He’s from FF lines, though, so who knows if he’ll know how to run.  I just couldn’t resist the name as it was one of my favorites.  Paid a little more for this fellow than some, but only slightly at $3,500.

Our other yearlings is also from created lines.  Formerly named Off Beat, [color=red]Unique Style is a pretty little mahogany bay gal.  Here’s hoping that she, too, can excel without a blue-blood pedigree.   :)  Either way, I think it’s safe to say she was a sound investment at only $1,000.

And last but not least, we rounded out our little band of newcomers with a pretty black broodmare, [color=red]D’licious.  She’s already had two foals - a yearling colt by Almost Home and a weanling filly by Count Fleet - but she’s unraced and therefore a complete gamble.  I just liked the name (and the possibility of themed D’____ names, ha).  She’s headed to meet Cat’s pride and joy, High Chances, for a date.  :wink:  I think I got her at a price that’s more than fair, even though she was the most expensive purchase at $20,500.

Picked up two new additions to my stables.

First one was Hollywood Royalty, a 4YO grandson of Cigar. He had 4 wins and a second in his first 6 starts as a 3YO, but his recent racing record hasn’t been very good. Maybe a change of ownership will benefit him and, even so, at a cost of $1,000, he won’t break the bank.

Our second purchase was GCh. Major’s Flight, an 8YO son of Jazz It Up x That’s Debatable. He is our first Stallion. He is a fairly new stallion, his first crop of foals will be 2YO’s next year and we are eager to see how they do.

All in all, we’re very pleased with our new acquisitions.

Two lovely ladies found their way from the auction ring to KindleHope, and I’m psyched.  Look carefully, you might confuse them…:wink: Obviously, one of my closet addictions is to BIG dapple grey mares.

I know that ‘real pedigrees’ mean nothing in FF terms, but I couldn’t help but be drawn to these two girls.
To Caro With Love is probably the largest girl I’ve seen in a long time (17.3H)… those Irish lines, I say! Caro is great in RL (and as a side note, I wish there were more Caro stallions in the US besides the ones we love for sporthorses…) She seems willing on the training track, so we’ll get her back in shape and see if we can make the rest of her 4 y/o year shine over fences. If she’s amazing, we’ll give her another year, but either way she’ll stick around and be a nice mare to add to our BM band. Any of our boys would cross nicely with her… although, I might be partial to ND because he is getting older…  I have no doubt she’ll make back the $26,500 we spent on her.

Check Please was another very pretty, albeit unproven mare who has two gorgeous fillies, I loved her name, and thought she would be a nice mare to cross with No Duplicate.  (I do love Yonaguska in real life, and the Summer Squall mare is nicely bred (p.s. to whomever built this pedigree… :wink: ) $43,000 was a solid price for this pretty lady.

Lewis, you’ll need to re-bid on Major’s Flight.  You spent $101,000 in the auction, which is not allowed.

With a total of $33,000 spent, four horses bought and two sold, Coleman Branch returned from the auction with four new additions. 

[color=red]Twelve Thirty Two is a create yearling filly out of New Aspect by Time Bandit.  She’s 13.3h and mahogany bay.  At $1,000 she was an easy buy.  Plus, her name is interesting.  :slight_smile:

Next off the trailer was [color=blue]True Believer (ICh. Witness x Dream On), a handsome 9.1h chestnut weanling colt.  He seemed a steal at $1,000.

Our third purchase was sort of sentimental, based on the colt’s lineage.  [color=blue]Noble Cause is out of Noble Innocence by Giant’s Causeway (love).  We’re looking forward to seeing this 10.2h bay weanling run in 2 years time.  He was our most expensive purchase at $20,500.

Last but not least is the broodmare [color=red]Comet Cat, another create (Birdonthewire x Ganny’s Kitty).  This 17.2h fleabitten grey girl has produced three winners out of four runners.  She will (hopefully) see A.P. Indy or Irish River for a July 2013 foal and then take a year off from the breeding shed. 

Sorry about that. When I put in my maximum bid, I’d forgotten about Hollywood Royalty and the program didn’t kick out my bid. I saw from another post, that there was a bug in the software which has now been fixed.

I have re-bid on him, hopefully I will still be able to acquire him.

Now that I’m done…  4 broodies for $68,500.  I wanted another one but was having trouble with the cap of 100k.  At least it kept me from spending too much money!

[color=red]Huzzah is a 10 year old broodmare of created lines, by El Prado out of Rivery (Riverman).  She’s a big dark bay mare, unraced with two colts on the ground.  She was $1,000.  I chose her for the name, Huzzah! as in the Marines.  She has been bred to NCh Starz ‘n’ Stripes (S) for a 2013 foal who will almost surely be named Semper Fi :slight_smile:

Next up was [color=red]Bedroom Eyes, a $4,000 purchase.  Also created lines and unraced, by In The Bedroom out of Eyes Like Stars (Staroftheshow).  How scandalous!  Also 10 years old, a pretty little bay mare.  She’s a maiden but is now in foal to NCh Gimme A Shot (G).  The foal will definitely have a name related to pickup lines or something fun with those lines!

Next was [color=red]Tizzaboo for $25,500.  The big chestnut mare is of created lines by Bouccaneer out of Tizzoecee (Cees Tizzy).  She’s 12 and has 8 foals on the ground with 5 to race.  All are winners except her 2 y/o, with one being a stakes winner.  She doesn’t have a breeding ranking, not sure why, but she’s definitely a good producer.  All of her babies have done really well over fences so she is currently en route to Stillwater to see FFCh. TakeMeToHollywood with the hopes of producing a nice 'chasing baby.  This one might be named HollywoodBoulevard.

Finally was[color=red] Durable Day for $38,000.  Another 10 year old created lines mare.  A big bay by Five Star Day out of Duralea (Mr. Leader).  She has a yearling filly on the ground.  She is also en route to Stillwater to see WCh Highland Bandit (S) just because he’s awesome :slight_smile:  No names picked yet!

Tough bidding competition all around, so I was glad to come away with these ladies!

I played cheap this year (MADE myself not go past 5k max each horse) but still managed to get 3 horses for $1,000 each!!

Spicy Tour was the only girl I brought home. She’s a 2000 feisty looking chestnut broodmare from created lines and she had her 1st foal this spring. She has since been shipped off to Storybook to visit Temptation. Maybe the foal’s name should be Feisty Lookin.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Runnin’ For Roses is a good lookin black 3 year old that just stepped on the track this year with 3 starts and one top 4 he needs work but he has potential. He’s by Go for Dash and his Dam’s Sire is Lucky Cigar so I think he has potential.

Kool Karma is an older stallion that is currently in england, he’s 5 but he’s by the great Cross Roads so I know he has a few good runs in him (fingers crossed.) there’s a good chance I’ll geld him because of his age and his not-even-so much-as-brushed the start of stud requirements. lol At least he’ll be fun to tool around with :slight_smile:

As usual I spent more than I intended but I’m happy with my 3 purchases.

First to join the Gintara Lodge team was a lightly raced 4 yr old 'chaser in [color=blue]River of Hope As his name suggests he’s by the gun sire Irish River x Jolies Hope. At $1,000 I couldn’t resist.

Second into the team was a 2 yr old colt [color=blue]Such A Treasure (What’s Debatable x Harada’s Treasure) 11th foal from the silver ranked mare, 9 to the races for 8 winners, 2 stakes winners & 3 stakes placed. I’ve good hopes for this one. Cost me a pretty penny @ $28,500

Third and lastly was an impuse buy. 2 yr old colt [color=blue]Can’t Touch This from created lines but I noticed he won his first start in the Blue Diamond Prelude stakes race  :astonished:. So I decided I needed to buy him lol  ;D at $65,000 he wasn’t cheap but I’m confident I’ll recoup the outlay.

I re-bid on him and was successful, this time my bid for him plus what I spent on Hollywood Royalty, was less than the maximum. The bug actually “saved” me $3,500, as I had originally “won” him for $100,000, but this time I got him for $96,500.

Battle Hill came away with 4 new horses and a total spent of $75,000…

Our first purchase was [color=red]Kitty Kat Knapp a 2003 dark grey broodmare standing 15.0h and of created lines… she has had one foal by Whirlaway, she has gone to visit Ch. Moonopoly for a 2013 foal… the winning bid was $6000

Our second purchase was [color=red]Greek Baby a 2002 strawberry roan broodmare standing 17.3h and of created lines… this is the tallest mare I’ve seen in a while… she has one foal by Almost Home, she has gone to visit Ch. Rumor Has It for a 2013 foal… the winning bid was $15,500

Our third purchase was [color=red]Star of Hearts a 2010 chestnut filly standing 15.3h from the first foal crop of GCh. Starzen and the last foal of Hearts Aflame (B)… I fought hard for this filly… to date unlaced… I’m excited to have her in my racing string… she will make her Maiden debut @ Saratoga on the 19th… the winning bid was $32,500

Our 4th and final purchase was an unnamed 2011 dark bay colt standing 14.1h as a yearling from the last foal crop of Mr. Prospector (S) BM (S) and out of Diamond Corridor (B)… We’ve named him [color=blue]Koh-I-Noor after one of the 10 largest diamond in the world…

Koh-I-Noor (Mountain of Light)
105.60 Carats, an oval cut gem, now part of the British Crown Jewels. The name of this diamond means “Mountain of Light” and its history, dating back to1304, is the longest of all famous diamonds. It was captured by the Rajahs of Malwa in the sixteenth century by the Mogul, Sultan Babur and remained in the possession of later Mogul emperors. It may have been set in the famous Peacock Throne made for Shah Jehan. After the break-up of the Persian empire the diamond found its way to India. It may have traveled to Afghanistan with a bodyguard of Nadir Shah, who fled with the stone when the Shah was murdered, to be later offered to Ranjit Singh of the Punjab in exchange for military help (which was never delivered). After fighting broke out between the Sikhs and the British, The East India Company claimed the diamond as a partial indemnity, and then presented it to Queen Victoria in 1850. When the stone came from India, it weighed l986 carats; it was later recut to l08.93 carats. It was first worn by the Queen in a brooch. It was later set in the State Crown, worn by Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary, and 1937 was worn for by Queen Elizabeth for her coronation. It is kept in the Tower of London, with the other Crown Jewels.

We’re excited to have one of the last foals by Mr. Prospector in our barn… I’m looking forward to seeing him run next year… The winning bid was $21,000

Looking forward to the Select Auction in Sept…

I only bid on two this year, and dropped out when the filly hit $100,000.

The colt I won is [color=blue]Shadows of War (formerly War Shadows), a weanling with created lines. He’s a handsome little black with white feets, and in my book, that makes him worth taking a chance on, hehehe. :wink: I only paid $1,000, so if he ever does much on the track, I’ll consider him a good investment.

I managed to buy one horse,a cute liver chestnut Black Gold weanling colt out of a bronze mare that I named [color=blue]After The Blackout.The wininng bid was $10,500.

I Maxed my bid on just one(on Purpose) a Beautiful Black Colt named Gene Kelly i bought him , brought him home and sent him directly to calder and he broke his maiden race on an allowance race by 25 lengths , i was extremely happy. He has an awesome pedigree , here’s hoping I have my first prospective stud in training,  ;D

Gene Kelly
by NCh. Lucky Cigar (S) (( x-Cigar (G) 00-Lucky Break))
Out Of- Upstage Dancer (B) ((x-Northern Slew (B) 00-Backstage Pass (S)))

solid black except a star and standing a nice 16.1h high.