Derby Contenders

This obviously isn’t an

exhaustive list, but I picked out the ones that 1) caught my attention 2) looked like they

had a prayer of winning. :wink:

There are 47 days left until the Derby, and so far the prep

races have been great. We have…

Count Me In - 2008’s 2yo colt of the year, he

continues to shine this year. He has won the Stan Fox Stakes, and the Crystal Mile against

older horses, and his record for this year is: 5(5)-2(2)-1(1)-1(1)-0 $293,000. His GOT

claims he’s a sprinter, but his bloodlines and performance tell a different

story.

Duplicate Copy - winner of the Caulfield Guineas and the Florida Derby, his record

this year is phenomenal: 6(4)-4(2)-2(2)-0-0 $1,344,000. His GOT screams sprinter but

his races prove otherwise. His one try at 10f came in second, however.

As You Wish -

winner of the San Domenio Stakes, Holy Bull Stakes, and the Robinson Stakes, his record this

year is: 5(3)-3(3)-0-1(1)-0 $280,000. His GOT also screams sprinter, but he’s won at

10f. He is also the son of near-SC Tiara winner Cross My Heart and SC-crown winner Secret of

Love.

Do You Dare - winner of the Spring Champion Stakes at 10f. His performance has been

inconsistent, but shows promise, especially at longer distances. He’s got the pedigree to

be a Derby winner.

Dare to Question - inconsistent last year, this colt is coming into his

own this year, with a win in the Sham Stakes. His record this year is 3(3)-1(1)-2(2)-0-0

$115,000. He was 2nd to As You Wish in the Robinson Stakes, but his GOT looks

promising.

Lord of Luck - his performance this year has been inconsistent, but he does

appear to prefer dirt and distance, which means good things on Derby day. His record this

year is: 7(6)-1(1)-1(1)-2(1)-0 $291,500, and he has the additional bonus of being 1/2 to

a MSW, and by Rainbow Quest, who has sired many distance horses. A longshot, but not an

impossibility.

Crusader - this colt appears very versatile, with wins this year at 7 1/2

furlongs turf and 10 furlongs dirt. His record this year is: 5(4)-2(1)-1(1)-0-0

$191,750. Another longshot, but a nice one with his displays of talent.

Highland

Storm - this colt has been very consistent this year, but has yet to go past 8f. His record

is 6(6)-1(1)-3(3)-1(1)-0 $174,500 this year. His GOT looks promising, and he obviously

has speed.

Can’t Catch Me - this filly has been very hot this year, with a race record

of: 6(6)-5(5)-0-0-0 $420,000. However, the farthest she’s gone this year is 8f, so it

remains to be seen whether the distance (or the boys) will be too much for her.

Black

Magick - another filly who has been very successful this year, with a record of

7(5)-5(3)-0-1(1)-1(1) $534,000. Again, the farthest she’s gone is 8f, so we’ll have

to see if her bloodlines win out over the distance and the boys.

Wow, wake-up call… This

year is going way too fast…

Hmm… Again I’m lacking a huge Derby chance this year.

But, I do have two horses who I’ve nominated and should run.

[b]Gotta

Go[/b]
Stakes winner at 2YO who hasn’t won a race this year, but has gone close

a number of times. He was a close second in the Fountain Of Youth and then a close fourth in

the Caulfield Guineas. He’s 8[8]-0-3[3]-2[2]-1[1] with $189,500 in earnings for the

year. Bred well, by TC winner Go For Dash and 1/2 to High Times and Nightfight. Not the

strongest chance, but going for an upset.

Mocashment
Stakes

winner at 2YO who again, hasn’t won a race this year. Has also gone close to winning at GI

level with a close second in the Caulfield Guineas. Record this year is nice and consistent

being 8[8]-0-3[3]-2[2]-2[2] with $393,000 in earnings. He’s by Northern Dancer who has

very few foals racing. He’s out of In Effect who also foaled Love Amoung Ruins. Again, a

long shot going for an upset.

Both boys will start in Dubai and then will probably be

given a shortish, say 8F, prep race somewhere in mid-April to determine if they will start or

not.

My chances in the turf TC’s look a little better this year that’s for sure…