December Stallion Spotlight II: Strike It Rich

[align=center][color=green]Stallion Spotlight: [color=red]December

WCh. Strike It Rich
2006 chestnut Thoroughbred stallion, 17.2hh
Strike The Gold (G) – Black Swan (G)
[view][/align]

CAREER
Our second Stallion Spotlight for this month is silver ranked, Strike It Rich. At 15, he is one of the older stallions still around and only one of 6 whose first crop was in 2012 or earlier. Bred by Stillwater Farms and currently owned by FF, Strike it Rich won 17 of 59 lifetime starts, 16 of those stakes races, with career earnings of $2,780,400. During a career span of 3 years, Strike It Rich was most successful running sprint distance and didn’t seem to mind what his hooves were running on. He was untested over fences, but still had success at the classic distance and even won a stakes race over 10f.

His G1 wins include the Goodwood Handicap and the Omaha Breeders’ Stakes; G1-placings include the Melair Stakes, Two Thousand Guineas, Goodwood Handicap, July Cup, Lighting Stakes, and Victoria Racing Club Stakes. Strike It Rich seemed to hit his best stride at age 3 and 4, earning over $1 million each season. At three he hit the board 70% of the time and at 4, he entered all stakes races, hitting the board 73%

He frequently ran against other future stallions such as Nightfight, What’s Your Point, The Fighting Fifty and Gotta Go and beat Count Me In, Prince of Wonder, Black Warrior, Chivalry, Candidate, and Dark Continent.

INJURY HISTORY
In his last year racing, Strike It Rich had 2 injuries: Heat (RF) in May and Overheating in September.

LINEAGE
His sire, STRIKE THE GOLD, by Alydar (S) and a created mare, sired just 17 horses. 6 became stakes winners including MSW Strike It Rich, MSW GCh. Striking Beauty, MSW Ch. Iglesias, SW Ch. Gold Fever, SW Ch. Gone to Dust, SW Stroke of Luck. From his 5 daughters, 2 are silver-ranked, 2 bronze, and one is currently unranked. A bronze-ranked broodmare sire, his grandfoals include MSW’s Ch. Catch Phrase, SW Showoff, SW Secsy Star, SW Ch. Canaryinacoalmine, and SW Ch. Su Vida Loca.

His dam, BLACK SWAN, was a black type broodmare, producing all winners from 12 foals with 6 stakes winners, 5 multi stakes winners including GCh. Endless Flight, Ch. Knight Errant, Ch. Dark Laird, GCh. Swan Song, and Strike is Rich, a millionaire MSW. Average earnings for her foals is $517,125. 6 of her daughters are now broodmares, with 1 gold-ranked, 1 bronze-ranked, and the rest unranked.

SIRE RECORD
At the time of this post, he is Silver-ranked (3.9). Strike It Rich has sired 222 foals from 10 crops with 44% starters, 64% winners, 16% stakes winners and 7% multiple stakes winners. Some of his highest-earning offspring are NCh. Billionaire, GCh. Boundless Train, Ch. Payday, GCh. Rich Belle, Ch. Flota de Indias, Ch. Platinum Edition, Ch. Putitonmyaccount

Currently he is unranked as a broodmare sire. Of his daughters with started offspring he has 1 stakes placed and 2 winners but most of his grand foals are yearlings and weanlings.

Out of 65 stallions w/ started offspring:

• 17th in highest winning percentage of offspring
  • 13th in offspring earnings
  • 16th in highest G1-placed offspring
  • 7th in G1-winning offspring

Leading Earners

• [color=blue]CH. STRIKE IT LUCKY ($2,205,650), Notable stakes placings include: won Travers Stakes (G1), placed Queensland Derby (G1), placed Dubai World Cup (G1), showed Belmont Stakes (G1), placed Whitney Handicap (G1).

• [color=red]GCH. BOUNDLESS TRAIN ($1,678,550), Notable stakes wins include Santa Maria Handicap (G1), Kelso Breeders’ Cup (G2), Lexington Stakes (G3), Pucker Up Stakes (G3), Modesty Handicap (G3).

• [color=green]NCH. BILLIONAIRE ($1,649,300), G1 wins include St. Jame’s Palace Stakes, Woodford Reserve Turf Classic, Dubai Duty Free. Currently holds a turf speed record at 10f.

• [color=red]GCH. RICH BELLE ($1,098,00), Notable stakes wins include Ballerina Stakes (G1), Bold Ruler Stakes (G3), Honorable Miss Handicap (G3), George C. Hendrie Stakes (G3).

• [color=red]CH. PUTITONMYACCOUNT ($558,500), Notable stakes wins include Angus Armanasco Stakes (G2), Adrian Knox Stakes (G3), Tramway Handicap (G3). Currently holds a turf speed record at 8f.

• [color=red]CH. SPLACHEE ($439,650), Notable stakes placings include: won Lockinge Stakes (G1) and placed Vessels Stallion Farm Distaff (G1). Currently holds turf speed records at 8f and 9.5f.

• [color=blue]CH. EUPHORIA ($389,150), Noteable stakes placings include: won Racing Post Trophy (G1), placed Visionary Stakes (G1), showed Toorak Handicap (G1), showed Stan Fox Stakes (G2).

• [color=blue]THE KLONDIKE KID ($384,450), Notable stakes placings include: won Del Mar Futurity (G1), showed Golden Slipper Stakes (G1)

Foals for Thought
Between 16 foals, all either SW or MSW, 9 had their best career year at age 2 (25%), 4 at age 3 (44%), and 5 at age 4 or older (31%).
His most successful foals have been mares by:
MSW - Abracadabra, Crimson Lad (x2), Secretary, Worth The Wait, Mr. Prospector, Rainbow Quest
SW - Sneak Peek, Planet Hollywood, Cross Roads, Moonover Boy, Highland Magic, Flash Image

Breeding Suggestions: Matching successful line crosses via sire

• Strike the Gold daughters have produced a MSW or SW from the following sire lines: What’s It Worth, Akhetnaten, Rock of Gibraltar, High Chances, Ring of Fire, Devil His Due

Breeding suggestions: Matching successful line crosses via dam

• Black Swan had 5 MSW by Alydar (Strike the Gold’s sire), Crimson Lad, Highland Laird, What’s It Worth and a SW by The Black
  • Black Knight broodmares have also produced SW & MSW from High Chances, Holy Bull, Bellagio (x2), Hidden Destiny, King David, Red Sunset, All Jazzed Up, Nightfight,  

[align=center]* * *
Stike it Rich currently stands in Kentucky under FF ownership for $15,000.
Being FF-owned he is not BC nominated, but he does not require approval to breed to.

Starting next month Shelbie and I will feature non-FF owned studs. I had only noticed after I had already started this write up.

Please share your own foals and successful crosses below.[/align]

I do like this stallion! I have one of his daughters, 3yo jet black filly [color=red]Glamorous Fog. She was bred by Vaucluse Farms, but I claimed her from Final Furlong in January this year. Her dam, Ch. Tuscaloosa was a multiple stakes winner on turf; our filly is not that successful, but she was mostly in the money this year and we’re hoping that she’ll earn at least a Champion title next. She also made two starts on dirt and was 2nd each time. She was once 3rd in ungraded stakes. And she runs tomorrow against six other fillies, in a NW3 allowance on turf, just two weeks after her previous race, in which she finished 3rd.

I’m also planning to breed [color=red]Ch. Opulent to Strike It Rich. Interestingly, Opulent has only one stallion in her incomplete pedigree (her sire Ch. Irish River). Of three mares, two are reines-de-course (both her granddams). And she is a twin sister of NCh. Irish Gold, a multi-millionaire stallion. Strike It Rich will add another reine to the mix, and three male ancestors for some gender balance. :wink:

Thanks for the awesome writeup! Apologies to everyone; we WILL be focusing on member-owned stallions for the next year probably. We chose two at random then realized both were FF owned after these had been compiled.

I can’t boast about any foals myself, as I only own a 4yo mare and a weanling at this time. The 4yo is extremely lightly raced, but was 2 for 2 at two and hit the board 2/3 times at three. I plan on sending Chartres Blue to him next year. Partly because she’s already at FF and partly because he’s a nice, solid sire. Both did well going long distance, so I’m hoping for a classic/endurance runner. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll get my favorite strawberry roan color from the mating, haha.

I have Amazing Beam, that I bought from the 2yo auction. She’s at least managed a win this year, but I’m hoping she’ll be much better at 3 & 4. Her dam was a stakes winner. I also own a weanling colt by him as well.

I do have MSW Ch. She Will Fly in foal to him. She’s silver ranked so I’m hoping it will be a good match.

After doing this write up, I’ll try matching another mare based on the lines he crosses well with.

I’ve just noticed that I don’t own any Strike It Rich offspring. Apparently I need to fix this!
Thanks for shedding light on another great stallion!