Breeding

I know the breeding season runs from Feb 15th until Aug 30th. Is this the only time I can turn racers into breeding stock? The reason I ask this is that I have 2 horses (1 Stallion and 1 mare) that I want retire to breeding, but the only option I have on the drop down menu is to retire them. I have checked the requirements that the horses need to meet, and they both qualify. If it is because of the time of year, could someone let me know please. :? :astonished:ops:

Thanks

Yeah, you can only retire to broodmare or stallion status during the breeding period.

Also, keep in mind you stallion will have to now win 10 stakes [one Gr.1, nine any grade] in order to be able to stand at stud.

Hope this helps!

Actually, you can retire a horse prior to February, but I set it up so that you need to retire a horse by August 31. This is so that people wonā€™t duck out on taxes by retiring all their racers in December.

Shanthi, is there a way to open a ā€œwindowā€ for retiring stallions before Dec? I dunno that Iā€™m retiring any of the ones I have to stud, but I know some people were hoping to run their stallions through Dec and then retire them this year before the new restriction hitā€¦

Hm, yeah, kinda forgot about that.

Iā€™ll probably set up December as retire-your-colt-now-or-never monthā€¦on/by December 31, though, the ā€œwindowā€ will close.

Now to go make sure that the page will cooperate with that planā€¦

Yeah i canā€™t get my horse to go stally and heā€™s 5years old and has won 3 races

Well winning 3 races doesnt qualify a horse to be a stud anyhow.

well heā€™s 5yrs old won 3 races

oh yeah heā€™s ran well over ten times

Then I misunderstood you. I thought you meant he had won just allowances or whatnot 3 times, as you didnā€™t specify.

Bob,
The only horse i see that you own who you could possibly be talking about is Tryst Of Fate. Yes, he has one 3 races but TWO of them are Allowances. He has ONE Grade 3 stakes win under his beltā€¦he will need two more stakes wins to qualify to stud this year.

Actually, heā€™s technically won 1 graded stakes, which is all thatā€™s required for 2009.

However, Bob, you may want to seriously consider how marketable Tryst of Fate will be at stud. His female family is not very impressive, as he is the best foal of his dam.

There are already 6 studs by Whatā€™s It Worth currently at stud, all of whom are 1/2 to other stakes quality horses.

On top of that, Tryst of Fate has only been on the board 60% of the timeā€¦as a racehorse, thatā€™s great, as a stallion, thatā€™s pretty mediocre, especially when you consider that heā€™s won only 9% of his races.

Ah, I see. :slight_smile: I always put ungraded stakes and grade 2 and 3 in the same category. Thanks for enlightening me. :wink:

oKAy thanx :slight_smile:

Shanthi

Just a quick question. Is there going to be a last minute window to retire horses before the new requirements come in?? Or was it just a thought that isnā€™t going to happen.

Yes, Iā€™ve already said there will be. Whenever I can get time to edit the code to create that window, I will let people know.

I will probably set the window up for the last week of the year (11/24-11/31).

OK,Thanks. Thatā€™s great :smiley: