Breeders Stakes vs Breeders Cup

This might be a silly question but is the Breeders Cup and Breeders Stakes the same? I have a horse Spirituality that has a lifetime BC nomination so I auto entered her into race #49 on 12/24 earlier in the month and this morning I had a red notification that she couldn’t be entered due to not being qualified…am I missing something here??

Nope, those are two different series. The BC series you can do late nominations for the same year they run, whereas BS nominations can only be made by the current owner/breeder, OR a stallion owner can nominate that stallion’s latest foal crop during the month of January (so the 2027 foal crop can be nominated in January 2027 but no later; and the 2026 foal crop could only be nominated in January 2026). If I bred a horse but didn’t nominate it, then sold the horse, I cannot nominate that horse since I no longer own it despite being the breeder. Essentially the BS has a stricter nomination window.

1 Like

As Shelbie said, they are two different series.

I bred Spirituality but didn’t nominate any of my older crops for the BS this year - I’ve bred so many, it’s an expensive process so I only tend to nominate my 2 and 3yo crops - so she wouldn’t be eligible.

She has a lifetime BC nomination as you can nominate your weanling crop (as long as their sire is BC nominated) for $5000 each, so much cheaper than nominating once they’re older.

1 Like

Ahh!! Thanks guys that really helps! I was so confused looking at it lol

1 Like

Echoing Imagine. I usually only nominate the 0-3yo crops as well. Not really worth nominating the older kids when they only have a 1-2 more chances to even qualify before retirement.

1 Like