Board Game Geekery

Happy New Year!!

We spent the evening with a small group (4 couples + kids) of family and friends. It included lots of snack foods, board games, Mario Party tournament, etc. Somehow all 5 children were still up at midnight, including both my daughters (age 1 & 3). We’ve been paying for it today, ha! We go back to work/daycare tomorrow, though, after having been on paid Christmas leave since December 22nd. Working for a school district now definitely has it’s perks!

PS - I bought hubby the board game, Betrayal at House on the Hill. If you’ve never played it, I highly recommend it. We now own the expansion, too, so there are 100 different “games” within the one board. It’s based on a sci-fi/haunted house type theme.

I LOVE Betrayal at House on the Hill but I always end up playing it with some intensely competitive nerds, haha.

I’ll have to look out for it - though we’ve currently got a huge pile of board games that we aren’t playing (some require more than 2 people, to be fair). I blame the games area still being full of all of my husband’s books/DVDs/etc.

Unfortunately this is 3-6 players and really plays best if there are 4+ in my opinion…

However, though it’s not nearly as fun, the husband and I have played where we each used two characters. If one of our characters turns “traitor”, that person relinquishes his/her other character to the “heroes” side (so one person controls 3 people). It’s a stats-based game sort of like dungeon and dragons sort of, plus the traitor sometimes is controlling extra monsters & such anyway. There are separate rule books for the traitor versus the heroes side with different info meant to be kept secret from the other side until it plays out.

Sounds very interesting. :slight_smile: Unfortunately our main board gaming friends would be horrible to play this with…well, one would. He’s one of the almost-always-wins-and-always-gloats types. It’s fine in limited doses, but I don’t think I’d want to play a game involving a traitor with him (having done so already with Saboteur, which is a lot more chill).

Still, might be interesting to try with the 2 of us anyway. And, who knows, maybe we’ll find board game soulmates in our area. :slight_smile:

If you like Betrayal you might like Zombicide. Also a cooperative game. Playing with multiple characters with two people isn’t a bad way to to play either game. Outside of the expansion for Betrayal you can also download a bunch of scenarios. We have played the game with friends at least a dozen time and have yet to repeat anything.

I like Splendor, Tsuro, and Monopoly deal (card game) for two players.

Another good game if you like Betrayal is Mysterium, in which one player plays the ghost and everyone else are mystics who attempt to figure out why the ghost has remained behind through visual clues – but the same visuals can be used differently depending on how the “ghost” wants to use them. You also earn points by agreeing or disagreeing with how everyone else interprets the clues, lol. It’s a weird game of being competitive yet you need as many people as possible to reach the end in order to guess the final scenario. Also the visuals and set up is just fun, but definitely best for a group of 5+.

We played Mysterium as a group of 4 when visiting friends, it was definitely weird but fun.

(I moved all the board game talk into its own thread in case other people are interested post-January. :slight_smile:)

Shanthi if you’re looking for a good two player I’d recommend Odin’s Raven’s. Its exceptional.

That name rings a bell, I think I’ve heard it recommended before. It might have just earned itself the award of being next month’s birthday gift for my husband now, though. :slight_smile: