Bear Witness Retired

[center]bearwitness[/center]

We are sad to announce the sudden retirement of our 10 year old grey stallion, NCh. Bear Witness. His oldest foals have just turned 2, so it is too soon to say whether he was successful in the shed or not - he only stood for a little less than 3.5 breeding seasons. His silver-rated (3.9) sire, ICh. Witness, is also retired at our farm, while his platinum-rated dam is still actively breeding at Gintara Lodge.

During his race career, Bear earned over $3.3 million and finished with a stakes record of 30 (10-5-4-3), primarily over turf from sprint to classic distances. Hopefully his offspring do just as well in the years to come!

I’m so sad to hear of his sudden retirement. He was one of my favorites among the new sires. I have two of his foals on the ground, including a two year old, and two more expected.

1 Like

Oh, bummer! I hope his limited foals do well on the track.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about his early retirement. It is sad enough when you have to retire a Stallion or Broodmare, but even sadder when they are as young as he is.

1 Like

I’m sorry to see him retire so early. I was hoping to send more of my mares to him in the future, but I just feel lucky to have one filly on the ground by him. Hopefully his foals do well and are able to carry on his legacy!

1 Like

Sorry he had to retire so early, hope his progeny do him proud. I have one foal “Antimony” born this week and twin fillies born last year. Looking forward to seeing how they do.

1 Like

Oh no! That’s so young! I had one more mare headed to him this year, too. Well, at least I still have some of his progeny to try on the track. Two yearling colts, Alley Witness and Fantastic Witness, and I bred my mare Wish For Ribbons to him last month.

1 Like

@Wolfhound How did I miss twin fillies?? That’s awesome!

I had to do a double-take on the announcement - I thought he was still way too young. Alas, I was mistaken.

Tea forTwo
Two’s Company
There was a bug in the code so technically they are not really twins, it also gave a third colt foal! (I would have liked to have called it “Three’s a Crowd” but triplets were clearly ridiculous) But Shanthi kindly let me keep these two as as twins are just (barely) possible. :smiley: